Dubai Malls Join Anti-indecency Campaign

Topic locked
Aug 09, 2009
jhbsnoopy wrote:What this really implies is, we should wear a right dress in a certain places like we can wear bikini only if you are in the beach. Because there are other people that doesn't know what is the meaning of dressing properly. For example, i usually see people wearing sleeveless and shorts inside the church eventhough the priest keeps on reminding not to wear those clothes inside the church.....its all common sense..

false debate, i have never, ever seen a girl in bikini at Ibn battura or emirates mall, that does not happens, it s a silly excuse to justify this campaign, we are not talking about bikini here but women who are being lectured for a mini skirt or sleeveless shirt. accept it or tourist wont come to Dubai and you loose.

capsicum
BANNED

Aug 09, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
MethoD wrote:I think were old enough to decide what we should and shouldn't wear right? :)

It would seem that their are many who are clearly not able to judge.

what do you suggest to educate them, whip, brain surgery or prison?
capsicum
BANNED

Aug 10, 2009
capsicum wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
MethoD wrote:I think were old enough to decide what we should and shouldn't wear right? :)

It would seem that their are many who are clearly not able to judge.

what do you suggest to educate them, whip, brain surgery or prison?

Good suggestion for some :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 10, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:We already agreed on that decent dress. But you haven't answered my first question yet, is fair to ask the expats and tourists to stick to local culture?

Yaa , and some times it’s called …. Whats the word I’m looking for ?..... ya ya “common sense”

Oh you did enlighten me, thank you! :)

Read the comments in here and in the original article. Some people think the local culture is backward and they don't have to stick to it or even respect it.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 10, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
uaekid wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:We already agreed on that decent dress. But you haven't answered my first question yet, is fair to ask the expats and tourists to stick to local culture?

Yaa , and some times it’s called …. Whats the word I’m looking for ?..... ya ya “common sense”

Oh you did enlighten me, thank you! :)

Read the comments in here and in the original article. Some people think the local culture is backward and they don't have to stick to it or even respect it.

ppl are entitled to their opinion and this was my answer to your question .ppl don't have to respect it but sure have stick to it since it's the law.

But I don't mind it, most are easy targets for me and the more reveling they are the more insecure they feel of themselves.. they just need uaekid to tell them how cute they are ooooohhhh 8) yaaaa
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Dubai malls join anti-indecency campaign Aug 11, 2009
I am from Europe, and my last visit to Dubai was actually last month.
I didn't encounter any inappropriate clothing, though I saw one woman wearing a dress that was absolutely not too short for Europe, but in my eyes, a little too short for Dubai.
Anyway, the first time I visited Dubai I really kept in mind on how to dress. Long day dresses, and in the malls of course a cardigan (the AC is not healthy).
Personally, I don't like wearing shorter skirts or sleveless shirts, but I understand that people wear "less" clothes when it's as hot as it is in Dubai.
My point is, when you're visiting a foreign country, you should respect it's culture and way of living, and most importantly respect yourself.
I would never want somebody looking at me and telling their friend, "look at her skirt" or something.
First of all, I would never allow them to because I would never wear something that would make someone speak about me in a negative manner Second of all, I think you have to adjust to the environment.
Now, I'm not saying that us tourists should wear the exact same clothing as locals, no, no, but just don't dress as if you were on the beach in St Tropez. It's not nice, whether you're in the UAE or New York.
Now, I believe I sound like somebody from the stoneage, but no, it's not like that, I just don't think that too revealing mini skirts and tank tops are appropriate anywhere but the beach, and by the way, it's not even fashionable.
Nicholson
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 11, 2009
Then why do some stores sell clothes that aren't allowed to be worn?
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 11, 2009
G to tha T wrote:Then why do some stores sell clothes that aren't allowed to be worn?

that is a good question but it's only not allowed to be worn in certain areas only, focus.

beside it's only a dress code law in a certain establishment !!! you accept it in so many places ,why not the mall ???????

maybe the hall issue is bcz ppl lost the sense of fashion LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Dubai malls join anti-indecency campaign Aug 11, 2009
Nicholson wrote:I am from Europe, and my last visit to Dubai was actually last month.
I didn't encounter any inappropriate clothing, though I saw one woman wearing a dress that was absolutely not too short for Europe, but in my eyes, a little too short for Dubai.
Anyway, the first time I visited Dubai I really kept in mind on how to dress. Long day dresses, and in the malls of course a cardigan (the AC is not healthy).
Personally, I don't like wearing shorter skirts or sleveless shirts, but I understand that people wear "less" clothes when it's as hot as it is in Dubai.
My point is, when you're visiting a foreign country, you should respect it's culture and way of living, and most importantly respect yourself.
I would never want somebody looking at me and telling their friend, "look at her skirt" or something.
First of all, I would never allow them to because I would never wear something that would make someone speak about me in a negative manner Second of all, I think you have to adjust to the environment.
Now, I'm not saying that us tourists should wear the exact same clothing as locals, no, no, but just don't dress as if you were on the beach in St Tropez. It's not nice, whether you're in the UAE or New York.
Now, I believe I sound like somebody from the stoneage, but no, it's not like that, I just don't think that too revealing mini skirts and tank tops are appropriate anywhere but the beach, and by the way, it's not even fashionable.

Thumbs up!
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 11, 2009
I say if you've got it, flaunt it!

It hilarious to see all these people on tele and on paper write in comments praising the new law, half of them don't have the bodies nor the guts to carry out such styles, no wonder they looks vulgar.
Seriously you really don't see peopel dressing all that provocatively. One may find an occasional over exposed bimbette. The onus of informing her that what she wears is inaapropriate should be up to store managers, not illitrate mall cops! Thats it. No need for a circular or anything.
The multiculturality, the individualistic dressing sense you know it all encompasses 'character', the hall mark of any great city!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
MCL, I totally disagree with that. I've seen people wear totally innappropriate things, literally looking like they've just walked off the beach - speaking of which I don't wan to see people on the beach with just a bit of cheesewire as an excuse for a pair of bikini bottoms either.

It's common sense, you don't go to a mall dressed like your going to a nightclub. And I also have to say that tourists are not the biggest culprits!

'If you've got it, flaunt it' - is a stupid thing to say! I'd rather people left a bit of mystery to things and looked classy instead of trashy.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:MCL, I totally disagree with that. I've seen people wear totally innappropriate things, literally looking like they've just walked off the beach - speaking of which I don't wan to see people on the beach with just a bit of cheesewire as an excuse for a pair of bikini bottoms either.

It's common sense, you don't go to a mall dressed like your going to a nightclub. And I also have to say that tourists are not the biggest culprits!

'If you've got it, flaunt it' - is a stupid thing to say! I'd rather people left a bit of mystery to things and looked classy instead of trashy.

Well said
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 11, 2009
I see that Dubai is moving in direction of Sharjah and KSA taking great strides forward.

2 years ago a mother of three was "asked" to leave Sahara Mall in front of her children because her skirt didn't cover her knees.

Will it hit tourism in Dubai in crisis? No doubts. Expensive hotels, hot weather, conservative fashion. Europeans cannot buy any clothers in these infinite Mall.

The only thing is true in the article is following:

"Such instructions should be informed before we enter the country not while we are shopping. Besides the weather in Dubai is truly hot," they said.

I see that expats who live here rather long has been getting very "conservative" as well. So no problem from their side, kid.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 11, 2009
Chief, Sharjah has always been alot more conservative as an emirate, nothing new there.

I simply say to people 'remember where you are!', do some research, stop moaning.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 11, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I see that Dubai is moving in direction of Sharjah and KSA taking great strides forward.

2 years ago a mother of three was "asked" to leave Sahara Mall in front of her children because her skirt didn't cover her knees.

Will it hit tourism in Dubai in crisis? No doubts. Expensive hotels, hot weather, conservative fashion. Europeans cannot buy any clothers in these infinite Mall.

The only thing is true in the article is following:

"Such instructions should be informed before we enter the country not while we are shopping. Besides the weather in Dubai is truly hot," they said.

I see that expats who live here rather long has been getting very "conservative" as well. So no problem from their side, kid.

In a way this is possibly a direct fall out of the financial crisis!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat