Dubai Bank Makes Abaya Mandatory For All Female Staff

Topic locked
Dubai Bank makes Abaya mandatory for all female staff Aug 22, 2009
I would have expected it in an Islamic bank, but in Dubai Bank?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10342385.html

Dubai Bank says all female staff must wear abayas
By Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporter
Published: August 21, 2009, 22:50

Dubai: All female staff at Dubai Bank, Muslim and non-Muslim, must wear a shailah (head scarf) and abaya (black cloak covering the whole body) starting this Ramadan, Gulf News has learnt.

A memo sent to staff on Thursday says the bank has decided that all Muslim and non-Muslim female staff must wear a shailah and abaya.

A Dubai Bank official who would not reveal his name said a memo was issued to this effect by the human resources manager, informing employees that starting from the first day of Ramadan all female employees must wear a shailah and abaya regardless of their religion.

"Our bank is Islamic and must follow Sharia in all respects, which will satisfy our clients," he said. While the decision takes effect beginning first of Ramadan, it has become a rule and part of the dress code for female employees at all times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gulf News contacted Dubai Bank on several occasions, but officials would not comment on the memo.

Gulf News has learnt that the proposal on the dress code was made by the bank's Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board in June and it was endorsed by the management. A circular was then issued on Thursday.

The Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board's proposal, a copy of which has been obtained by Gulf News, says the abaya should not have any embroidery or decoration on it and must not be coloured. It says any female staff who does not adhere to this dress code should be advised by the human resources department at the bank to follow it. If the staff member insists on not abiding by the law then the matter should be brought to the notice of the executive member of the Sharia supervisory board who can decide upon action to be taken against that staff.

The bank will encourage employees to wear a shailah and abaya by providing staff with them. The head of the human resources department has been instructed to ensure that employees adhere to the dress code. The bank has given employees a grace period until after the Eid holiday after which it will become mandatory.

The proposal, signed by Shaikh Mohammad Taqi Usmani, Chairman of the Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board of Dubai Bank, says the move will gain customers' confidence and help market the bank's products.

Many customers, the proposal said, choose a bank based upon its appearance before considering other aspects. The dress code is essential in determining the bank's identity as a Sharia compliant institution.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10342385.html

BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 22, 2009
Many companies in UAE enforce a dress code during Ramadan.
Although this one is permanent. Hmmm...
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Many companies in UAE enforce a dress code during Ramadan.
Although this one is permanent. Hmmm...

It's the next chain link. I'm not surprised. Probably it's better to buy some white sheets in advance to avoid buying fever in the near future.

Surprisingly there is something good in the Kingdom of Denmark. Yesterday I went shopping to the Deira City Centre and saw a Chinese girl there with so short summer dress and nobody stopped her.

So I think Dubai Bank jumped the gun but trend is evident.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 22, 2009
omg are they serious ? this is a joke, and look how many kiss-ups in the gulf news site.

I cant imagine any British chick walking around with that dress.

what does that mean anyway, enforcing your own ideas on people?

what happened to the personal freedom ?

or is it the new brilliant idea for "firing people" in a classy way ?

:? :?
snake
Dubai Forum User

Aug 22, 2009
I hope there is a memo going round to tellers, telling them to get off their bl*ody mobiles and offer some customer service.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 22, 2009
Well I think since they claim to be an "Islamic bank" they can set up an Islamic Dress code. But why only ramadan ? rest of the year its non islamic ?

Also when recuriting it should be state clearly that this will be required. But bang just out of the blue is unfair and forcing staff into this is unfair.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 22, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Well I think since they claim to be an "Islamic bank" they can set up an Islamic Dress code. But why only ramadan ? rest of the year its non islamic ?

Also when recuriting it should be state clearly that this will be required. But bang just out of the blue is unfair and forcing staff into this is unfair.

Since when does UAE law provide for democracy :lol:

Plutocratic capitalism doesn't allow room for democracy.
Its even closer to facism considering the huge gap between rich and poor :D
RobbyG

Aug 22, 2009
What has democracy got to do with any of this ?

I actually prefer this place to a sheikdom/dictatorship or whatever you might want to call it.

But lets not get into this and thrash another thread.
desertdudeshj

Aug 22, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:What has democracy got to do with any of this ?

I actually prefer this place to a sheikdom/dictatorship or whatever you might want to call it.

But lets not get into this and thrash another thread.

You said and I quote:

But bang just out of the blue is unfair and forcing staff into this is unfair.

Unfair doesn't exist in UAE law. Its take it or leave it. Thus no democracy ;)
RobbyG

Aug 22, 2009
Unfair and democracy are too diffrent things.

Most of UAE laws are very fair, its just sad not many are not enforced.

P.S: Its really not required to end every post here on DF with a wink, Its getting old.
desertdudeshj

Aug 22, 2009
The one that is getting old is you DD. Stop the whining and shaddap

I'm entitled to my opinion, ...at least under my current fairness regime. :D
RobbyG

Aug 22, 2009
Yes your entitled to your opinion when we want it we'll ask for it.
desertdudeshj

Aug 22, 2009
I think you are overstepping it a bit. I'm not going to ask you for anything.

If you want to discuss me thats fine, but you are not going to tell me what I should do. Not ever.

Capice?
RobbyG

Aug 22, 2009
Easy RobbyG :wink:
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 22, 2009
catalyst wrote:Easy RobbyG :wink:

Sure my friend, but he should know his place.

He knows that I respect him, but if he wants to throw his credit out the window, I'm not the cause of that.

A bit of respect from both sides would be nice. I remember he got mine lately. In my world, it comes both ways Sultan.
RobbyG

Aug 23, 2009
Your obviously lacking in sarcasm dept today anyways.

It has nothing to do with respect buddy, Just you shooting off your gun in a very "internet expert" kind of way on every subject there is over here. Your opinion which would carry more weight if you were actually here. Your views have serious credibility issues, And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

No matter how many people I talk to and how much research I do about Holland I will never know what it is actually like to be there and the little nuances of the place.

Its like taking or listening to medical advise from a quack.
desertdudeshj

Aug 23, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Your obviously lacking in sarcasm dept today anyways.

It has nothing to do with respect buddy, Just you shooting off your gun in a very "internet expert" kind of way on every subject there is over here. Your opinion which would carry more weight if you were actually here. Your views have serious credibility issues, And I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

No matter how many people I talk to and how much research I do about Holland I will never know what it is actually like to be there and the little nuances of the place.

Its like taking or listening to medical advise from a quack.

Look DD, I know a thing or two. I'm not the average Joe out there. I like to dive into diverse issues around the world and answer seriously.

I rather have you judge me on my content, which is not made up, but based on facts, unless I add my opinion. It doesn't show of high respect when you attack someone on a personal level.

If you are seriously interested in topics like economics, politics, stocks, aerospace etc and other topics, then you can discuss anything in the world from a certain perspective. That doesn't mean I'm always right, but if you validate some of my statement, you actually know that I'm not talking bull.

I'm genuinely interested in world affairs. Plus I have the ability to write what I feel and think. If you don't like that, thats fine. But keep your arguments on my content, not on my personality.
RobbyG

Aug 23, 2009
Well personally, okay on the one hand I can understand it. However, it is odd to make non-muslims wear a shayla aswell as an abaya as normally you can just wear an abaya and have your head unconvered. This I think is unaccpetable.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 03, 2009
As an emarati i think this a crazy practice ..
They should have a dress code not telling people what to wear
saeedz28
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 04, 2009
how about mandatory kandourah for male employees?
capsicum
BANNED

Sep 06, 2009
Democracy is mob rule anyway. It's where 51% of the population tells the other 49% what the rules are. :lol:
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat