Dress Code In KSA

Topic locked
Dress Code in KSA Apr 17, 2011
I was talking to a friend last night whose husband has been offered a job in Riyadh. They are going over in a couple of weeks to check the place out.

She was asking me if there is a dress code for men, aswell as women.

I've never been ot KSA so I said I didn't know but I bet I know someone who does.

She wants to know if it's acceptable for men to wear shorts and short sleeve shirts outside of the 'compound'?
Are tatoos frowned on (He's ex army so has a few)?
She has been told she has to wear an abaya, does she have to cover her hair?

Has anyone any advice on if they are any areas to avoid when looking for a place to live.

Any advice welcome!

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dress Code in KSA Apr 18, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:I was talking to a friend last night whose husband has been offered a job in Riyadh. They are going over in a couple of weeks to check the place out.

She was asking me if there is a dress code for men, aswell as women.

I've never been ot KSA so I said I didn't know but I bet I know someone who does.

She wants to know if it's acceptable for men to wear shorts and short sleeve shirts outside of the 'compound'?
Are tatoos frowned on (He's ex army so has a few)?
She has been told she has to wear an abaya, does she have to cover her hair?

Has anyone any advice on if they are any areas to avoid when looking for a place to live.

Any advice welcome!

I was based in various parts of Saudi Arabia from 1980 - 1988, my family was also there with me.

The following are what was expected of people then.

Short sleeved shirts OK, shorts have to be carefull as to how short, knee lngth and below were not a problem.

I never saw any person displaying Tattoos, so I don't know.

Women should wear an Abaya, covering of the head was only required during Ramadan back then.

With family it's an absolute must to live on an Ex-pat Compound.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Dress Code In KSA Apr 18, 2011
Where in KSA?
I believe the western part (Jedda) so is the eastern (Dammam, Khubar) are a bit less restricted than the middle (Riyadh, Quessem, etc)...
I've been there for a month last summer (Riyadh), streets and malls there is no real dress code for men, anything below the knees should be good, for living: there is compounds where life inside is totally different...
Women don't have to cover the hair, but all what I have seen were wearing Abaya above their normal cloths, by the way some malls don't allow singles (Men) into during holidays or the weekend or even normal day (I was banned once :D)...
general info:
most shops are closed during prayer times,
food their is really cheap and good (to me),
fuel is the cheapest in the world i guess (less than 20 cent $ for a liter)
roads are not wow (but not bad), and some ppl there drive a bit crazy (comparing to UAE)
life expenses in general is really cheap..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Dress Code In KSA Apr 18, 2011
BM, Exactly how Sage put it as I was in Dammam and Khobar last week.

Inside compounds is a must I would say, and dont forget woman cannot drive unless on an Aramco compound so that is a big restriction.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat