Double Standards...

Topic locked
Double Standards... Jun 22, 2009
I wont comment on the case; I leave it to the reader's discretion........

When I mentioned double standards in legal system, I was told to "grow up" , so I refrain from commenting now....

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090 ... 19809/1010

Woman loses appeal over sex case
John Henzell

Last Updated: June 21. 2009 11:45PM UAE / June 21. 2009 7:45PM GMT A young South African woman working in a Khor Fakkan dive centre remains in jail although her employer – an Emirati man with whom she was convicted of having sex – has been freed.

An appeal court in the small town on Sharjah’s east coast relied on a disputed confession by the 22-year-old woman, identified only as RH, to reject her appeal against convictions on charges of having sex outside marriage and being alone with a man in a commercial building – the dive centre – after hours. The three judges also upheld her three-month prison term.

But the court cleared the woman’s employer, MH, aged 41, of the sex charge. He had been sentenced to six months in jail by a lower court on the two charges but was released immediately after the appeal court imposed only a one-month jail term for being alone with RH when police raided the diving centre at 3am on May 16.

RH held back tears as she was led away in handcuffs, walking past her mother, Ina Hillier, and younger sister, Maxine Hillier, as she was taken back to the jail where she has spent the last 36 days.

She was told by the head judge that even though her appeal had been unsuccessful, her sentence was being expedited and she would be released within three weeks. A translator said she would probably then be deported.

Despite the decisions of the first instance and appeal courts, RH’s family maintains that she and MH are innocent and her confession was obtained under duress by the police.

She signed the police statement which contained the confession, despite it being written in Arabic, a language she does not speak or read. Medical tests carried out to show if the pair had had intercourse came back negative.

BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 22, 2009
brace for the outbursts from certain kids........................ ;-)
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 22, 2009
Hey, come on, everyone knows that if a man and woman are alone together it must mean they are having s.e.x! :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 22, 2009
kanelli wrote:Hey, come on, everyone knows that if a man and woman are alone together it must mean they are having s.e.x! :lol:

Even if he is driving a vehicle and she is sitting on the rear seat of a 4 door sadan
crusader 1
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009
I'm sure the authorities would arrest people in that situation as well. :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 22, 2009
How are the police aware that certain two people could be having a relationship? I mean you certainly don't see the police going around and questioning all couples they see. So how are police intimated in such cases? Is this purely a case of vendetta where the police are given leads and then they act on it?
And finally what is the definition of adultery here?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 22, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:How are the police aware that certain two people could be having a relationship? I mean you certainly don't see the police going around and questioning all couples they see. So how are police intimated in such cases? Is this purely a case of vendetta where the police are given leads and then they act on it?
And finally what is the definition of adultery here?

I think a complaint has to be made by somebody for the police to take action.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 23, 2009
again , where is the Double Standards ? they both got the same jail time for being alone with each other only (which is a stupid law since it is in a work place), the other 2 charges are dropped, but the diff is that she is an expat and will be deported and will have to be in jail untill the doporting time .. correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I understood from the article.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 23, 2009
That's not what I got from the article.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 23, 2009
uaekid wrote:again , where is the Double Standards ? they both got the same jail time for being alone with each other only (which is a stupid law since it is in a work place), the other 2 charges are dropped, but the diff is that she is an expat and will be deported and will have to be in jail untill the doporting time .. correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I understood from the article.

What do you mean again?

Read the article! Blackburn Rover even highlighted the relevant bits.

The woman is in prison, facing deportation.

The man is free!

Do I have to explain where the double standards are here?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 23, 2009
LOL actually ya you do , can you both tell me how many days they both got in jail time ?

com'an even with my poor English I understood it better than you, coman read it again and get back at me LOL

but like I said before guys ,bcz of you mentality you became blind from the truth that you chose not to see. It is hopeless and sad.
uaekid

Jun 23, 2009
so if i understand uaekid, the man is free and served little time, while the woman remains in prison because she is to be deported and has to be incarcerated until then?
capsicum
BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
"He had been sentenced to six months in jail by a lower court on the two charges but was released immediately."

"she was taken back to the jail where she has spent the last 36 days."
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 24, 2009
So uaekid, are we really blind from the truth? Who is hopeless and sad? :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jun 24, 2009
for uaekid and many of his pairs, women are nothing but a commodity
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:So uaekid, are we really blind from the truth? Who is hopeless and sad? :lol:

you dear kanelli.

At the end They both got convicted of only of one crime which is being alone with each other witch the law punish you for 30 days jail time witch he ( the local guy spent since they got caught on may 16. they law here include the jail time in the investigation period as a real jail time. aaaand then he was sent free daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa … the same goes to her but in her case as an expat and in order to be deported she has to stay in jail for another week or so for the immigration to process her deportation papers. Simple enough for you guys ?
uaekid

Jun 24, 2009
Both were convicted of a crime that was not proven.

He was treated differently to her. she is deported and has to live with the stigma of that. She has already served way more than 30 days.

I would like to know who and why the original complaint was made.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 24, 2009
Both were convicted of a crime that was not proven.

He was treated differently to her. she is deported and has to live with the stigma of that. She has already served way more than 30 days.

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 24, 2009
smoggie wrote:Both were convicted of a crime that was not proven.

smoggie, they were convicted of being alone with each other and it was approved when the police came in to their work place.

we are talking about the double standard issue here witch you can't find in this case at least and like I explained she is an expat so you have to add the immigration process time to the jail time witch she'll spend after the 30 days. you see the process starts after the court order witch was just recently.

but what worries me is that it is against the law to just be alone with a women IN A WORK PLACE ,I mean ppl work after business hours ,don't they ? unless there are other unpublished facts of this case, I see it unreasonable.
uaekid

Jun 24, 2009
The problem here is that people are applying their opinions as to what may or not be the correct way of behaving, however, we live in a society that dictates certain values and certain ways to behave, this we should respect as ex-patriates.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 25, 2009
You're right, we shouldn't be bothered that the guy gets off the hook while the woman remains in jail and will be deported. And was there solid proof of the allegations?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat