A Dog's Life In Dubai!!!!!!!

Topic locked
A Dog's Life in Dubai!!!!!!! Dec 06, 2009
Last week, someone posted a LOST DOG notice (with a picture of the dog) on the walls of the hallways and elevators in the building where I live.

Three days later, the notice was removed. I figured the dog was found. However, I later I found out that the notice had been removed by the security staff because of the no-dogs policy in our building.

Yesterday, I saw the notice back up again at the same locations.

The description of the dog was not clear, so I decided to call the number on the notice. A lady answers swiftly, with an excited voice, probably thinking I had found her dog. She starts talking fast, but in a very broken English -- apparently wanting to know where she could come to pick up her dog. I tried to explain to her over and over that NO, I had NOT found her found, but she clearly didn’t seem to understand. I tried to speak Arabic (I know my Arabic sucks, but I’m sure it’s at least better than her broken English)... but that didn’t fly either.

I then decided to hang up. I later sent her a text message,.. hopefully someone will translate that to her.

Well…while feeling sorry for that lady who sounded hysterical over losing her dog, and thinking of the fate of the poor dog, the following question came to my mind:

What happens to lost (and stray) dogs here in Dubai?

Do they have dog catchers and a city dog pound? If so, do they offer the dogs for adoption first or are they put down right away?

Anyone knows???

No interest in getting a dog. Just curious????

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: A Dog's Life in Dubai!!!!!!! Dec 06, 2009
Isn't there a place called "K9" or somethign similar - a sort of canine welfare charity? I think i remember reading something that they recently moved to new, improved premises in Jebel Ali, and they had some sort of convoy up SZR transporting all the dogs.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: A Dog's Life in Dubai!!!!!!! Dec 06, 2009
-
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: A Dog's Life in Dubai!!!!!!! Dec 07, 2009
K-9 Friends is the best place for dog rescue. They do a great job. They are always looking for homes for abandoned dogs and is a great place to find a dog to give it a home. Sheik Mohammed built a facility to them because of the great work they do.

DO NOT CALL DUBAI MUNICIPALITY. THEY KILL THE DOG UNLESS THE DOG CAN SPEAK AND TELL THEM WHERE HE OR SHE LIVES !!!!!!!!!!!!!
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

The municipality does round up dogs on the street and they are given a certain amount of time before they are put down, if the owner does not claim it or they can't rehome it.

All dogs and cats are required to have micro chips and municipality tags to say they've been vaccinated.

K-9 are always full and sadly some of their pooches do get put down as well if homes cannot be found, they've had some dogs in there indefinately.

Many buildings have 'no pet' policies, but so long as your landlord agrees it's ok, then it's no bother.

Sadly many dogs do get stolen and up in the animal souks, especially in Sharjah. Also sad to say that dog fighting is rife here, smaller dogs are taken to bait the bigger ones and large dogs are stolen for fighting. Don't expect the police to do anything as most of them are involved in it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

XPT wrote:
DO NOT CALL DUBAI MUNICIPALITY. THEY KILL THE DOG UNLESS THE DOG CAN SPEAK AND TELL THEM WHERE HE OR SHE LIVES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:The municipality does round up dogs on the street and they are given a certain amount of time before they are put down, if the owner does not claim it or they can't rehome it.

All dogs and cats are required to have micro chips and municipality tags to say they've been vaccinated.

K-9 are always full and sadly some of their pooches do get put down as well if homes cannot be found, they've had some dogs in there indefinately.

Many buildings have 'no pet' policies, but so long as your landlord agrees it's ok, then it's no bother.

Sadly many dogs do get stolen and up in the animal souks, especially in Sharjah. Also sad to say that dog fighting is rife here, smaller dogs are taken to bait the bigger ones and large dogs are stolen for fighting. Don't expect the police to do anything as most of them are involved in it.

Chocs…

You sure do know all there is to know about dogs and cats in Dubai!

Your answer just about covers it all!

I’m outraged to hear about people stealing little dogs and using them as bait in big dogs’ fights! That’s appalling! :evil: :evil:

K-9 Friends sounds like a well-connected big group. Can’t they do something about stopping these horrible dog fights?

:shock: :shock:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat