Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx

Topic locked
Discovery Gardens strains under bachelor influx Oct 05, 2010
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/2.173 ... x-1.692305

Dubai: Homeowners and residents in Discovery Gardens are complaining about the increasing presence of bachelors in the Nakheel-owned residential complex close to Jebel Ali.

If the trend goes unchecked, residents fear, the sprawling 26,000-apartment complex which used to be marketed by the developer as a community living space will soon come to wear the look of a workers' accommodation.

Homeowners fear their property value will plummet if the developer does not stop the uncontrolled migration of bachelors.

"Workers loitering in and around the building clusters have become a common sight in the Discovery Gardens. A lot of unwanted elements are moving in. We bought the property thinking that it is a great place for family. Now we are stuck here amidst workers and bachelors invading the family space," said Creig R., a South African computer professional who moved in three years ago. Ever since 2009, when rents fell by more than 40 per cent, he says the residential complex has lost its charm for families.

"A one bedroom apartment used to cost between Dh75,000 to 100,000, and only people of certain economic class could afford to live here. Now with apartments available for as less as Dh50,000, the property profile has changed," he said.

Security concerns

Many families who spoke to Gulf News said the presence of workers and bachelors has given rise to security concerns, given the poor security arrangements in buildings.

"We do not feel safe to let children play in the garden unsupervised. There is only one watchman for seven to eight buildings, and no security locks at the entrance. With all these strange men roaming around, it is not at all safe for children," said Preetham Ghosh, a resident and father of two.

"My wife is complaining that she is being stared at by a group of men who are living in the adjacent building," said Adel Hussain, an engineer from Syria. "Now she does not feel comfortable taking our kid to the bus stop in the morning as these men wait for their company transportation at the same place. We are not against bachelors or workers but Nakheel should designate a separate segment for their accommodation."

But many government and private firms see Discovery Gardens as a cheaper and better housing option for their employees ever since the rents have fallen. For instance, one company has moved in over 1,500 of their staff to Discovery Gardens since September 2009. A spokesperson for the company said they currently occupy 12 buildings, and house 1,651 staff in these buildings. The buildings were purchased by the company directly from Nakheel in the middle of last year, and occupation of the buildings commenced in September.

"Prior to the purchase, we housed our employees in different buildings in Dubai and spread over areas such as Bur Dubai, Deira and Al Ghusais. It is a great benefit for us to now have centralised the accommodation in one locality [Discovery Gardens] and that makes it easier to transport the staff to and from the work place, and also maintain the facilities," said the company's spokesperson.

Buildings bought

The official added that the buildings were purchased for several reasons, including an attractive price, ready occupancy, community facilities, proximity to Ibn Batuta mall and the Metro, and also the availability of 15 ready buildings in one location.

Some people working for the company said they love the new place as it is more spacious and airy. "Four or five of us used to share a room in Rashidiya. Now it is two people per studio and it is very convenient. Moreover, we are able to enjoy some of the facilities like basketball and tennis courts," said a staff member who requested anonymity.

Complaints: Developer's assurance

"Nakheel adheres to all regulations with regards [to] over-crowding, safety and security at Discovery Gardens, as at all of our developments. Should any resident have a complaint, there is an established procedure to follow. This procedure is clearly stated in the common areas of the development and where a transgression has occurred we will, of course, act," a spokesperson for Nakheel said.

I think DesertDudeSharjah lives there? DD - Any truth in this?

It would be a real shame if this is the future trend - previosuly attractive areas suffering an influx of bachelors as companies buy up un-saleable apartment buildings.

I know we all need somehwere to live, and yes, labour camps can be bleak places, but surely to buy up residential blocks in already populated areas isn't the answer. Yes, the developer will make a buck or two, but everyone else who bought early, when times were good, and going to lose money hand over fist.

For the price of buying up so many buildings, the company could have built a very nice labour camp i'm sure.

Have seen blocks that are apparently exclusively bachelor accommodation advertised at the new Al Khail Gate development also - so that will be heading the same way as discovery gardens no doubt.

And by the way...does anyone else think the word "bachelors"is a strange way to descibe young single men nowadays, or is it just me? In England, is someone is described as a bachelor in this day and age, it's normally an insinuation of homosexuality.....but on the right side of the libel laws!

A bit like Cliff Richard. Not that i'm saying he's gay. But he's a "bachelor", isn't he........

BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 05, 2010
Yeah unfortunately it is, I was going to rant about very soon but good thing GN covered this. Even in my building a couple of flats have been invaded. Step out and night and you'll see a couple of dudes in their obnoxious lungis loitering about, smoking beedis or screaming into the phone for long periods of time( assuming they are calling back home ). The garbage room which has a trash chute is flooded with garbage bags instead. And I think my buildings is still better off, as most of it is occupied by kinda decent people

A few buildings down an entire building have been rented out and virtual turned into lambour camp. And the parking taken over by heavy buses. Anothe complete building I think is taken over by the Dubai Duty Free as in the morning all the staff is out wating for the buses to arrive and the uniform does look like similar to the duty free one. Not 100% sure though.

Having said that I do sympathise with the landlord aswell, first of all the value of his invest has gone down the drain, secondly anyhope any recovery with decent rents has also gone down the drain. Putting myself in his shoes I would rather have my apartment rented rather then stay vacant waiting for someone "decent" to rent it. Same with the people who have bought entire buildings. They would rather have their complete building rent out and to one renter rather than go to the hassle of dealing with 40 50 or more tennats.

Having said that, I still like the place a lot and would take it over JBR, arabian ranches, springs medows etc etc. Just some up keep from nakheel would be preferred.

-- Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:03 am --

Oh crap clicked the link after I posted. The pic with the buses parked in it, thats the one I am talking about just a few buildings down from where I live
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Discovery Gardens strains under bachelor influx Oct 06, 2010
Since you mentioned the Springs, I think the roads over there are the worst in Dubai. Emaar should act responsible towards the residents in that area, its seriously an annouying issue.

Moreover, there are a lot of unnecessary road bumps all around the Gardens and also the Springs, pisses me off sometimes :shock:
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 06, 2010
It seems to me the roads in the residential areas are always the last thing to be completed. I'm in the Greens, and it was an absolute nightmare getting out in the morning for a long time. When the sorted the trafic lights and the bridge over SZR, it seemed to change overnight. Developers should take note of such problems, and make sure the infrastructure comes on line at the same time as the developments. I also see aprtment blocks with residents already in, who have to drive across sand to get there. Not really on when you pay so much for property.

Back to the story - i think it's asking for trouble mixing labourers with families and people who earn more. You'll probably encounter burglaries and such, and other anti social behaviour (seems like you already do, by what you say), and they will just drag the palce down. That will make those who are renting leave, and no-one will want to move in, so more apartments will be let out to labourers, and before you have it - Discovery Gardens Labour City.....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

There used to be a lot of cheap (sorry 'affordable') accommodation in shared villas and apartments in places like Satwa, but when the government and greedy developers realised that this was prime real estate, they manipulated and implemented the 'one family, one house' rule in an attempt to get single people to move into the new and empty developments such as Discovery Gardens and International City. Not just batchelors, but single girls too who could not afford to live in places on their own.

They then bulldozed hundreds of lovely old villas with mature gardens that were occupied by low income but families with children and planned to turn Satwa into another gated, secure compound created 'community' (like the Truman Show) which would end up as a ghetto anyway. The sites remain undeveloped to this day and rubble strewn with no immediate sign of any improvement.

Then they wonder why places such as DG are filled with single men? Where is the 'affordable' accommodation for those that don't want to live in a concentration/labour camp?

City planning? None here.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:City planning? None here.

Knight

AGREED !!
... & not just city planning, its almost everything unplanned properly here!
symmetric
BANNED

Let's face it....when earn less than AED1,000/- per month, as most labourers do, where CAN you afford to rent individually, or even share with a few friends, and still have money left over for food, bills, etc etc. They have to live together, in the same place, so they can get their transport to work, so it looks like it's either a labour camp or something like has now happened in Discovery Gardens - block renting of empty studios and apartments.
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

It really bothers me that labours/workers make 1000 AE a month (sometimes even less!!), considering the harsh environment they're working in. What can they afford with it, seriously?? I call it the 21st century slavery :shock:

I'm just wondering how much do labours in different countries make a month?? Any idea guys?
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:It really bothers me that labours/workers make 1000 AE a month (sometimes even less!!), considering the harsh environment they're working in. What can they afford with it, seriously?? I call it the 21st century slavery :shock:

I'm just wondering how much do labours in different countries make a month?? Any idea guys?

The average monthly wage in Cambodia and Laos is $100!

Knight
Dubai Knight

I guess that landlords of DG should be happy even with bachelors now after mass exodus during last 2 years. Otherwise some buildings were empty. It's one of the cheapest estate in Dubai and so price competition from another more convinient and well-buit areas makes bigger pressure than a bunch of bachelors in a building.

40K for 1BR is not something new in more convinient locations.

Dude, don't play full. You and me both had lived in Sharjah for years and spent a few hours per day in traffic jams due to we were not ready to pay full cost of a brand-new LC Prado for 1 year rent.

Now you live in more comfortable conditions and still complain for Indian kids on the bykes and one or two guys who speak by phone loudly. Quite hypocritical I must say.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Dubai Knight wrote:There used to be a lot of cheap (sorry 'affordable') accommodation in shared villas and apartments in places like Satwa, but when the government and greedy developers realised that this was prime real estate, they manipulated and implemented the 'one family, one house' rule in an attempt to get single people to move into the new and empty developments such as Discovery Gardens and International City. Not just batchelors, but single girls too who could not afford to live in places on their own.

They then bulldozed hundreds of lovely old villas with mature gardens that were occupied by low income but families with children and planned to turn Satwa into another gated, secure compound created 'community' (like the Truman Show) which would end up as a ghetto anyway. The sites remain undeveloped to this day and rubble strewn with no immediate sign of any improvement.

Knight

Its all about greedy developers and businessmen. I remember just before the crash, a RE official was quoted as saying with regards to Satwa: "We cannot allow a place just 1km from Burj Dubai to be filled with such cheap houses and villas".....

-- Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:21 am --

And dont think bachelors mean just labourers earing 600 dhs

Even supposedly non blue collar jobs like clerk, cashier, salesmen, waiters are forced to be bachelors due to their abnormally low salaries.

This can be solved by raising minimum wages, and in turn hiring less [workers, but smarter people, but that will affect the profit margin of big shot companies, and so wouldnt happen.

In Singapore, its about being cheaper and faster.
In Dubai, at least in some sectors, its about being cheaper and less effective and with less common sense

Yesterday I was served by an Indian cashier who took a calculator and meticously added 15 to 5.....twice (!) before confirming that I had to pay 20 dhs for an item worth 15 and an iten worth 5 dhs

DD will agree with me when I say that some of the worst and most ineffective rejects of Indian workers seem to end up in the "Gelf'
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Capitalism has its winners and loosers.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Red Chief wrote:I guess that landlords of DG should be happy even with bachelors now after mass exodus during last 2 years. Otherwise some buildings were empty. It's one of the cheapest estate in Dubai and so price competition from another more convinient and well-buit areas makes bigger pressure than a bunch of bachelors in a building.

40K for 1BR is not something new in more convinient locations.

Dude, don't play full. You and me both had lived in Sharjah for years and spent a few hours per day in traffic jams due to we were not ready to pay full cost of a brand-new LC Prado for 1 year rent.

Now you live in more comfortable conditions and still complain for Indian kids on the bykes and one or two guys who speak by phone loudly. Quite hypocritical I must say.

Oh I've lived in Sharjah all my life and even in downtown rolla this has got nothing to do with being rich or poor. Its all about manners, ethics and just plain old common sense. I don't mind bachelors living in the area or my building. But atleast be sane about it and live like humans.

People often make a big deal about the squalid conditions in Labour camp. But let me tell you this 9 times out of 10 its the people living there that are responsible for it, other than over crowiding and disruption of water and electricity the rest the people are to blame. I have personal experience of this and I can say this with some authority.

Wheter its a hut out in the bush or a nice apt in the city. You don't run it into the ground. And thats what I am talking about.
desertdudeshj

Agree with DD. People don't build slums, people turn neighborhoods into slums. And that is exactly what DG will become. Low rent district inhabited by low paid people.

Worse yet, is what happens to the value of the apartments and villas that were purchased years back. Definitely going to spiral downward - finding a buyer will be a problem and a big lose to those who bought.

I can understand the concern of the families there. Would you want your wife, or for that matter your children, going to the pool where there will be how many bachelors enjoying the day out in the same pool? How comfortable will teenage girls feel with so many eyes on her while bachelors are groping themselves? Will children enjoy the benefit of the sports areas without having to deal with bachelors who are entitled to use the amenities? And let's be real, the majority of the bachelors are laborers.

DD, start looking around for another place to live. Don't wait until your wife can no longer enjoy the pool, park or simply taking a walk without her feeling uncomfortable with so many eyes on her. Women feel it first when their comfort zone is compromised or threatened.

Nakheel was so hungry for the money that they sold out those who bought or were renting in the DGs. They were fully aware of who was going to go into those buildings and what would happen to that community.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oh we don't enjoy the pool anyways since they are yet to be completed ! Well to be honest its not that bad. Two things first of all there are no labourers staying here, and second there are comapny staff in a few building but these are mixed male and female and decent people who probaly work in the hospitality industry or retail juding by their uniforms.

Also being so far out from the city also kind of helps keep the " rif raf" out. There was actually more "trouble" from the labour camps not far from DG. As in the evenings you could see weird people roaming around. Mostly Bangladeshis who walked or cycled their way in. Looking for odd jobs like washing cars or just enjoting the landscaping.

But this I think has been put to rest, as I dont see them anymore and a lot more police patrols at night that before. So I guess thats a good thing which has been done. Also the garbage problem or atleast in my building on my floor has been taken care of. Earlier and sorry to say this south indian families moving started to hang their washing in the windows but that has also been dealt with. So nakheel is doing something right I guess. Only Major complain I do have is they have a let a lot of plants, shrubbery and beautifull land scaping die off due to neglect, all it needed was just proper watering nothing too cost heavy.

So all in all it not bad at all There are still more pros than the few cons and there are cheaper options out there. IMPZ, JVS, Silicone oasis but I prefer to stay here and specially since its the best option for anyone working in Abu Dhabi. You got SZR on one end and Emirates Rd on the other. 1 hr commute and your in AD. I just renewed my contract at much lower than last year this august. So for the time being I'll be staying.
desertdudeshj

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 07, 2010
I don't get it. aren't those renting "humans" like you and me ? don't they have the right to be where they can afford to be ? i thought its not exclusive for anyone nor did any of you believed that they are better than the poor !! shouldn't we be equal ? and I'm sure nakheel did not promise anyone that bill gates would be their neighbor :) why all the sudden change in heart ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 08, 2010
If the laborers, or to use a word to clean it up "bachelors", could afford to RENT that is a different story. These are people making 800 AED a month. They aren't paying rent as housing is required by the contractors/developers, who bought the buildings to house them. Would you be willing to live in what will eventually become an upgraded labor camp?

Bill Gates is my neighbor on the Palm you silly boy. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

uaekid wrote:I don't get it. aren't those renting "humans" like you and me ? don't they have the right to be where they can afford to be ? i thought its not exclusive for anyone nor did any of you believed that they are better than the poor !! shouldn't we be equal ? and I'm sure nakheel did not promise anyone that bill gates would be their neighbor :) why all the sudden change in heart ?

I'm sorry but Nakheel did promise that its going to be a family orientated community. You think people would pay upto half a million for a studio flat in a labour camp. Another fail from your side to be a internet humanitarian.
desertdudeshj

Bora Bora wrote:If the laborers, or to use a word to clean it up "bachelors", could afford to RENT that is a different story. These are people making 800 AED a month. They aren't paying rent as housing is required by the contractors/developers, who bought the buildings to house them. Would you be willing to live in what will eventually become an upgraded labor camp?

Bill Gates is my neighbor on the Palm you silly boy. :lol:

I have a binacolar,lets watch him do "the thing" in his jacuzzi :lol:

-- Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:
uaekid wrote:I don't get it. aren't those renting "humans" like you and me ? don't they have the right to be where they can afford to be ? i thought its not exclusive for anyone nor did any of you believed that they are better than the poor !! shouldn't we be equal ? and I'm sure nakheel did not promise anyone that bill gates would be their neighbor :) why all the sudden change in heart ?

I'm sorry but Nakheel did promise that its going to be a family orientated community. You think people would pay upto half a million for a studio flat in a labour camp. Another fail from your side to be a internet humanitarian.

so in one thread you want to grant them citizenship and now they are not good enough to live next to you!! what are you? a local :lol:

p.s :I'm learning English here so should we say :
Another fail from your side to be a internet humanitarian
or
Another fail from your side to be an internet humanitarian

don't worsen my English,its bad as is....
uaekid

Quote me one place where I said I don't want to live here, quite the opposite.
desertdudeshj

uaekid wrote:p.s :I'm learning English here so should we say :
Another fail from your side to be a internet humanitarian
or
Another fail from your side to be an internet humanitarian

don't worsen my English,its bad as is....

:lol: :lol:

If you want to speak/write proper English, I suggest that you study the posts written by those that believe there is only one way to speak/write it. :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Discovery Gardens strains under bachelor influx Oct 25, 2010
edited
Zahra2
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 25, 2010
Seiously whats with spammers ? They think they are so clever that nobody actually gets it.
desertdudeshj

I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one. I commented a couple years back about how it isn't fair to individuals and families in a building when other apartments are overcrowded full of bachelors. I'd just get labeled as a racist, classist snob again. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one. I commented a couple years back about how it isn't fair to individuals and families in a building when other apartments are overcrowded full of bachelors. I'd just get labeled as a racist, classist snob again. :)

In my opinion, you would not be a racist, classist snob, but if one was to call you that, you are not alone, I would also have to be included. It''s a matter of what you are accustomed to. Most westerners are not accustomed to 12 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment, or 4 people in a studio apartment. As well, most westerners don't think its OK to throw garbage off the balcony, or leave garbage outside the entry door for people to smell, nor do they think it's OK to use the public hallway as a play area for their children. There are some cultures that when given the chance to rise above what was their "norm" they can't rise above that mentality.

And if I had children and lived in a predominately male environment where there has to be some depraved individuals, I would be gone in a heart beat before living like a prisoner in my own home before I exposed my child(ren) to some sick individual.

I guess "they" don't see their lifestyle as a problem, but see us as having the problem. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

come on guys, dubai is pretty big enough for all of us to live peacefully and quietly together, right!!

but yeh i can understand what it could feel like living in a labour camp style scenario.

i am sure you must be able to report to someone!!
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Bora Bora wrote:
kanelli wrote:I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one. I commented a couple years back about how it isn't fair to individuals and families in a building when other apartments are overcrowded full of bachelors. I'd just get labeled as a racist, classist snob again. :)

In my opinion, you would not be a racist, classist snob, but if one was to call you that, you are not alone, I would also have to be included. It''s a matter of what you are accustomed to. Most westerners are not accustomed to 12 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment, or 4 people in a studio apartment. As well, most westerners don't think its OK to throw garbage off the balcony, or leave garbage outside the entry door for people to smell, nor do they think it's OK to use the public hallway as a play area for their children. There are some cultures that when given the chance to rise above what was their "norm" they can't rise above that mentality.

And if I had children and lived in a predominately male environment where there has to be some depraved individuals, I would be gone in a heart beat before living like a prisoner in my own home before I exposed my child(ren) to some sick individual.

I guess "they" don't see their lifestyle as a problem, but see us as having the problem. :lol:

Well said BB
benwj

MotionComputing wrote:come on guys, dubai is pretty big enough for all of us to live peacefully and quietly together, right!!

but yeh i can understand what it could feel like living in a labour camp style scenario.

i am sure you must be able to report to someone!!

Report to who?? The owners don't care as long as they have rent checks in hand.

I heard of a western couple with children (from the UK I believe) who responded to an advert for an apartment and was told that only Indians lived in the building. I guess the landlord felt there would be fewer problems if you put like-minded people in the building. I think it was a good thing that they found out otherwise it probably would have proven to have been a nightmare for them.

I guess if Westerners kept silent and learned to live with the lifestyles of others, rather than others learning to improve on the way they live, then you would have peace and quiet. And its not just "labor camp style" we are talking about. You find that mentality in buildings along SZR in better buildings. As I said, they have the opportunity to elevate their lifestyle, but can't make the mental adjustment that should go with it.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Discovery Gardens Strains Under Bachelor Influx Oct 26, 2010
Yep, well said BB.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Discovery Gardens strains under bachelor influx Oct 26, 2010
Well I am the only white expat in my 'hood'.

I think I am seen as the nutty westerner who walks his dogs around the neigbourhood every morning, frequently has infidel music and delightful French, Spanish or Italian cooking smells wafting from his residence, and a wide variety of weird and wonderful guests dropping in from time to time! The locals love it when there is a line up of vintage motorcycles outside the house, or full-on racing Porsche machinery, or tooled up off road vehicles, or a cool light show when I have a gathering...

This morning I walked outside to be welcomed by the flock of ducks, who normally live in a villa up the road, waiting for me to give them their breadcrumbs for breakfast. They have decided I am second home as I feed them every day. Mind you, the Hounds of the Baskervillas look on with envious eyes!

I bet this doesn't happen in Disco Grunge Land.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat