Delicious Crab, Anywhere?

Topic locked
Delicious Crab, anywhere? Dec 30, 2007
Anyone knows any restaurant that serve good crabs? And I dont mean salt water crab. Preferbly Sri Lankan crabs. Thanks!

BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Delicious Crab, anywhere? Dec 30, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Anyone knows any restaurant that serve good crabs? And I dont mean salt water crab. Preferbly Sri Lankan crabs. Thanks!

You mean the 'other' kind of crabs? :shock:

People will eat anything!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 30, 2007
But I love the color when its cooked ..like flaming red....Sadly..I'm allergic to it... :(
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 30, 2007
There are some nice restaurants in Bur Dubai..

They serve some tasty Goan style Crab in
Casa De Goa - Palm beach rotatna inn, Bur Dubai

The place is small and Goan. A purpose-built ambience, nice service and normal prices for drinks n food. Good place if u are a curry freak..I love the food there.

There's another srilankan restaurant in bur dubai.. hmm forgot the name.. tell ya later..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 30, 2007
ooohhhh crabs,, yeah id love to eat the szchezuan style or the singaporean spicy, or the black pepper crab.... neer tried the sri lankan style though
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Delicious Crab, anywhere? Dec 30, 2007
^ian^ wrote:You mean the 'other' kind of crabs? :shock:

People will eat anything!

Gross. :lol:
I dunno any crab place here in Dubai :?
There are places though in Umm Al Quain where people catch their own crabs (lol), but I think it's the salt-water type.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:There are some nice restaurants in Bur Dubai..

They serve some tasty Goan style Crab in
Casa De Goa - Palm beach rotatna inn, Bur Dubai

The place is small and Goan. A purpose-built ambience, nice service and normal prices for drinks n food. Good place if u are a curry freak..I love the food there.

There's another srilankan restaurant in bur dubai.. hmm forgot the name.. tell ya later..

Yum, I do like Goan dishes. Have tried their fish and prawn dishes. Not crabs though.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2007
studstar wrote:ooohhhh crabs,, yeah id love to eat the szchezuan style or the singaporean spicy, or the black pepper crab.... neer tried the sri lankan style though

To clarify, its NOT Sri Lankan style. Its Sri Lankan crab. So you can still cook it in whatever ways you fancy. Sri Lankan crabs are juicier and have more meat :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 31, 2007
What about the crabs being sold at the fish market? Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that they are not too bad.

That is, if you like to cook the crabs yourself rather than eating at a restaurant.
:D
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
Eating crabs in restaurants can be messy. Unless its fine dining style. I prefer to eat them at home. But I dont enjoy cooking. :cry:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 31, 2007
Ha ha, I love cooking!! :D

Eating crabs are messy business, so never do it on first date. Same goes for Spaghetti...

Try simmering the crabs in some cooking wine, handful of herbs (whatever you prefer. I like sage), some salt and pepper and some chopped garlic. Sort of like cooking cray, but don't use wine with cray, it ruins the taste in my opinion...
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:Ha ha, I love cooking!! :D

Eating crabs are messy business, so never do it on first date. Same goes for Spaghetti...

Try simmering the crabs in some cooking wine, handful of herbs (whatever you prefer. I like sage), some salt and pepper and some chopped garlic. Sort of like cooking cray, but don't use wine with cray, it ruins the taste in my opinion...

Looks like we have a partnership here. You cook. I eat. :lol:
If you get really fresh crabs, they are great steamed as well.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 31, 2007
Go to the fish restaurant in the Metropolitan Hotel on Sheikh Zayed Road...its a little hard to find as it up on the 1st floor with its own lift tucked away in the corner of the reception...but its worth hunting down!

All the fish (and crabs!) are laid out on an ice bed and you choose your own which is then cooked however you like.

Alternately...recommended...just ask the Maitre D and he will suggest some cooking styles. The staff are Thai and the food is just amazing!

Enjoy!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 31, 2007
How much do we have to fork out DK?
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
[quote="BabyDoll"][quote="abarawakijess"]Ha ha, I love cooking!! :D

Try simmering the crabs in some cooking wine, handful of herbs (whatever you prefer. I like sage), some salt and pepper and some chopped garlic. Sort of like cooking cray, but don't use wine with cray, it ruins the taste in my opinion...[/quote]

Looks like we have a partnership here. You cook. I eat. :lol:
If you get really fresh crabs, they are great steamed as well.[/quote]

I don't mind cooking as long as you bring the crabs!!
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:How much do we have to fork out DK?

Forks optional!

Its quite reasonable but can get bumped up if you order lobster or wine. Expect to pay around 200Dhs per head for 3 courses.

The deep fried ice cream ball for desert is a must!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 31, 2007
You mean only the 5 prong monster is allowed!! :D :D

I am guessing the 200Dhs is exlcuding alcohol and crays?

Deep fried ice-cream?!?! I could say something nasty about those foul monsters, but will resist.

Thanks for the info though
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:You mean only the 5 prong monster is allowed!! :D :D

I am guessing the 200Dhs is exlcuding alcohol and crays?

Deep fried ice-cream?!?! I could say something nasty about those foul monsters, but will resist.

Thanks for the info though

Wine prices range from 150dhs upwards for a bottle but the usual MMI selection. The jumbo shrimp entree is awesome, cooked in a spicy Thai sauce ...I am hungry now!

The ice cream is worth having, but not as good as the 'spaghetti ice cream' at La Cucina in the JW Marriott Deira!

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 31, 2007
I think someone should organize a "Eat your way around Dubai", I am sure it would go down a treat...
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 31, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:I think someone should organize a "Eat your way around Dubai", I am sure it would go down a treat...

I'll start at the York...and stay there!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 31, 2007
Dubai Knight wrote:Go to the fish restaurant in the Metropolitan Hotel on Sheikh Zayed Road...its a little hard to find as it up on the 1st floor with its own lift tucked away in the corner of the reception...but its worth hunting down!

All the fish (and crabs!) are laid out on an ice bed and you choose your own which is then cooked however you like.

Alternately...recommended...just ask the Maitre D and he will suggest some cooking styles. The staff are Thai and the food is just amazing!

Enjoy!

Knight

thanks DK, that just might be where il have dinner tonight. alone again, of course,, mwahahaha, where's wenna? lol
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 31, 2007
the hotel called me back, they are fully booked tonight at the seafood restaurant :(
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 31, 2007
Lets organise a seafood / crab feast then people!!
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 31, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:

I don't mind cooking as long as you bring the crabs!!

You're on. First, need to find out where to get those buggers.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jan 02, 2008
I heard you can get a good serving at The York International
Al Jon
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 02, 2008
Excuse ignorance, only been here a few months, but what and where is York international please?
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 02, 2008
abarawakijess wrote:Excuse ignorance, only been here a few months, but what and where is York international please?

Bank Street in Bur Dubai...an hotel known not for its culinary prowess, but more for providing services of a more unsavoury type.

However if you want to catch crabs, it might be a good place to start!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 03, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
abarawakijess wrote:Excuse ignorance, only been here a few months, but what and where is York international please?

Bank Street in Bur Dubai...an hotel known not for its culinary prowess, but more for providing services of a more unsavoury type.

Knight

yeah, chinese crabs, russian crabs, african crabs for 1hr or to go :D
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 03, 2008
studstar wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

yeah, chinese crabs, russian crabs, african crabs for 1hr or to go :D

These crabs I can easily get use to....its hypo-allergenic.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 07, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote: The jumbo shrimp entree is awesome, cooked in a spicy Thai sauce ...I am hungry now!

The ice cream is worth having, but not as good as the 'spaghetti ice cream' at La Cucina in the JW Marriott Deira!

:? :? :?

Knight

How about a eat-out this Thursday or Friday night? Either the Metropolitan or the York.
BTW does Grand Hyatt's Market Cafe still have the eat up to AED99 deal? The giant prawn there is also amazing.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat