Cricket - Good Sport, Or An Complete Waste Of Time ?

Topic locked
Aug 11, 2008
You dont have to explain why you don't like cricket. I asked 'philh' if he could prove he is not from the ignorant community. I don't personally care if he likes cricket or not, it's just a sport.

muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Aug 11, 2008
And why should he prove where he's from? Doesn't matter! He doesn't like it either - deal with it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 12, 2008
I just have to ask this. What is the elaborate, choreographic pitching for? I'm just curious if it makes it harder to hit the ball or just part of the rules.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Aug 14, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:And why should he prove where he's from? Doesn't matter! He doesn't like it either - deal with it!

he should prove that he knows cricket's rules, not where he's from!
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Aug 14, 2008
pinoy1 wrote:I just have to ask this. What is the elaborate, choreographic pitching for? I'm just curious if it makes it harder to hit the ball or just part of the rules.

It's part of the rules, and it supposedly makes it EASIER for batsmen to hit the ball, if you bowl according to cricketing rules (including rolling your arms over your shoulders)
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Aug 20, 2008
I try watching crickett. I also spent time trying to understand the rules. Sometimes and I even watch the highlights. BUT, whenever I try ti watch the game, it just goes on and on.

I think a better comparison is with Baseball. Baseball is a lot more viewer friendly. However I can see how it can be "boring" as well. At least baseball is divided up to make it more appealing.

I also find games seem less confusing if you actually play it. I can remember watching rugby for thge first time. I have a far more greater appreciaton for it after playing and officiating it.
Pike
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 20, 2008
the 20 - 20 version of cricket will probably change the entire perception. Given that the sub continent follows cricket like religion, in no time the TRP ratings will be zooming and advertising money pouring in.

The 20 - 20 format is much shorter, aggressive with glitz and glamour thrown in.

Watch out for 20 - 20 cricket in the next 3 - 4 years.
aliwrites
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 26, 2008
cricket is a wonderful game.

now on the arguments here -- it's a matter of perspective. I have heard people say football's boring. Most of the people in Asia think baseball some lame game from ancient neolithic times.

It's even more funny that people like watching golf! Nothing is boring if golf isn't!

However, ALL games are lots of fun to "play", but only some can enjoy watching these games -- those who know about the game.

I play a cricket on a professional level - not because I didn't like football or any other sport for that matter, but because I loved cricket more than any other sport, any other activity and and other hobby. It must be because I have been around people excited about cricket ever since I was born. My mom tells me I learned basic cricket terminology when I was 2! :D
shaazthegreat
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 07, 2008
Different People , Different Opinions
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 09, 2008
You will find alot of Australians will find baseball to be a boring sport - think about it - we see batters watching fat pitches right in the slot and they don't swing at it, seems like alot of sitting around in baseball - that's why big boys like barry bonds can still be top level at it.

Cricket requires a huge skills set.

Batting: depending on where in the batting order you bat there is a different mentality that you need to have. People who bat first come up against a brand new cricket ball which can swing/curve in the air, hit the pitch/ground and move either way and sometimes at speeds up to 150km/h which is really fast. They need to take their time and get their eye in, pick their shots and try to build their personal innings.

It is a top sport. Requires immense concentration!!!
ChasMan
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat