Crazy Singer At The Seaview Hotel

Topic locked
Crazy singer at the Seaview Hotel Nov 19, 2007
I was in the Mariners Club, in the Seaview Hotel, where the sexy Filipina band have to put with an idiot pre-empting their songs. Basically he stands up in front of this hot band and sings the lyrics of songs before they start playing. He is apparently the captain of a ship. Security put up with him because he drinks a lot. His favourite premature song is 'Bye Bye Miss American Pie'.

Paul Booth
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Crazy singer at the Seaview Hotel Nov 19, 2007
Paul Booth wrote:I was in the Mariners Club, in the Seaview Hotel, where the sexy Filipina band have to put with an idiot pre-empting their songs. Basically he stands up in front of this hot band and sings the lyrics of songs before they start playing. He is apparently the captain of a ship. Security put up with him because he drinks a lot. His favourite premature song is 'Bye Bye Miss American Pie'.

Sounds like we need to recruit this guy for Karaoke night.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Crazy singer at the Seaview Hotel Nov 19, 2007
Paul Booth wrote:I was in the Mariners Club, in the Seaview Hotel, where the sexy Filipina band have to put with an idiot pre-empting their songs. Basically he stands up in front of this hot band and sings the lyrics of songs before they start playing. He is apparently the captain of a ship. Security put up with him because he drinks a lot. His favourite premature song is 'Bye Bye Miss American Pie'.

Is he a regular or something? Like part of the furniture..

Anyway, I can't stand those types. People who think they are funny, talented or endearing when they are drunk. When they're just annoying...
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Nov 19, 2007
But more to the point Mr. Booth - what on earth were you doing in the Mariners Club?? Lol! That place is a complete dive! Does it still sound like this:

Mariners Club

Located in the Seaview Hotel, with not a view of the sea in sight, lies the Mariners Club. Access to this hidden gem is at the back of the hotel through a maze of graffiti decked walls, all of which combine to produce the feeling akin to a Manila ghetto. Once inside however, the atmosphere soon changes to something more, well...unsettling.

The first thing you’ll notice about the aptly named Mariners Club is the décor. Like something out of Captain Nemo, this boozy grog-shop really does make you feel 1,000 leagues beneath the sea. The giant fish carving which serves as a backdrop to the stage doesn’t help either, nor do the yellow portholes lining the walls (which really could have done with a scrub).

But what really sets this place apart are the denizens of this underwater dive. More suspect than the Sy Snootles Cantina, the Mariners Bar exudes a fantastically tense atmosphere heightened no doubt by the motley assortment of Filipino navy, surly looking expat blokes and of course, the charming, dutiful ladies to be found at any respectable port of call. The scene is completed by the tendency of most of the patrons to mill around in a slovenly fashion, due no doubt to the curious lack of seating.

I decided to leave just as the Golden Star band kicked into the strains of November Rain to the groggy cheers of the punters. They were, it must be said, surprisingly OK but by this time, I was heading for dry land. What lies beneath? Why the Mariners Club, obviously.

I shall you there for a drink then...

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Nov 19, 2007
Was staying in the hotel. The music is good, although the clientelle is a bit interesting. Crazy singer.
Paul Booth
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 23, 2007
do u mean the guy singing/leading house of the rising sun? a 50 something-year-old brit??? he's there every thursday, is part of the furniture and has a very pukka job and likes to let his hair down (whats left of it!) on a thurs night.
red ketchup
Dubai Forums Member

Ketchup on the ball alright Nov 28, 2007
Hi Ketchup, it might be him. I am really finding it hard to say what his role at the Seaview Hotel is. Another one of his antics is to shout out 'Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Mark Knopfler' when its only the resident group's guitarist letting rip. This 'Mr White Shirt' definitely looks crazy enough. Heavily lined face, but also never smiles. His Chinese girlfriend wears more make up that Coco the Clown and big boots, but looks embarrassed when people look at her with him. They are normally there every night. Anyway, what do you mean by a 'pukka' job?
Paul Booth
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat