Construction In This Country

Topic locked
Construction in this country Nov 26, 2007
How many of you are concern about the structures in this country - if you care. Due to cement shortage and what not, I understand developer maybe cutting corners, using low grade cement, improper curring period, perhaps improper reinforcement even.

Properly done the structure should last for 70 years or more. Otherwise it may not last even 10 years. Sure, nothing will happen for the next 5 years but what happen thereafter? It would be a shame to see building/bridges/highway starting to collapse after 5 years or so. There needs to be stricter regulations

BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Construction in this country Nov 26, 2007
BabyDoll wrote: I understand developer maybe cutting corners, using low grade cement, improper curring period, perhaps improper reinforcement even.

And where did you get that information from?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2007
1) Gulf News
2) Visuals from the new highway ramps, marks showing curring are not properly done I was told
3) Bahrain's Financial Tower, apparently the landmark project is so shody many reckon it wont last more than 10 year!

I could be wrong and I hope I AM wrong.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
Baby Doll

are u unemployed now a days? U r making lot of stupid topics . Thanks i am not alone here :P

Btw , why r u worried about construction ? r u planning to buy some house ?
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 26, 2007
I've noticed some buildings in downtown that appear to be sinking as indicated by the bricks on the sidewalk around them...
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
The topics are far from stupid. It's reality.
Since I did not comment on your stupid remarks, leave me alone.

Har har

HP wrote:Baby Doll

are u unemployed now a days? U r making lot of stupid topics . Thanks i am not alone here :P

Btw , why r u worried about construction ? r u planning to buy some house ?
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:1) Gulf News

Really? Which? cutting corners, low grade cement, improper reinforcement or improper curing?
2) Visuals from the new highway ramps, marks showing curring are not properly done I was told

By a structural engineer?
3) Bahrain's Financial Tower, apparently the landmark project is so shody many reckon it wont last more than 10 year!

Who recons? The competition? Experts? and if the project in Dubai or Bahrain? I hear some projects in Mongolia are shody too...but...I could be wrong and I hope I AM wrong.

You could but...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2007
pinoy1 wrote:I've noticed some buildings in downtown that appear to be sinking as indicated by the bricks on the sidewalk around them...

Nah, that is caused by fat people walking only on one side of the pavement - the other side lifts. It's called the "heaving effect".
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2007
1) improper curing
2) not by an engineer
3) someone close to the project made that comment.

Some people do think about these type of issues, namely me.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
Hey that is not very nice. I could be "fat" too. In some countries I AM considered fat. Are you saying I contribute to the "heaving effect"?! :cry:

Concord wrote:
pinoy1 wrote:I've noticed some buildings in downtown that appear to be sinking as indicated by the bricks on the sidewalk around them...

Nah, that is caused by fat people walking only on one side of the pavement - the other side lifts. It's called the "heaving effect".
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:1) improper curing
2) not by an engineer

Find hobby :P
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2007
I have one. Food. That is why I am FAT.
Boo hoo

Concord wrote:
BabyDoll wrote:1) improper curing
2) not by an engineer

Find hobby :P
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
Find Hubby :lol:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 26, 2007
Not funny
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Not funny

your hubby or what? Force him to watch Borat and Mr Bean :oops:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 26, 2007
Tsk :roll:

HP wrote:
BabyDoll wrote:Not funny

your hubby or what? Force him to watch Borat and Mr Bean :oops:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 26, 2007
I think you will find some isolated incidents of imroper construction as you have stated, however I would say generally the standard of construction in Dubai is fairly good, also most of the structures are frankly over designed with plenty of safety factors built in, of course their can always be the exeption.
One of the problems that does cause problems here in this climate is the lack of proper maintenance, many problems can be resolved with good maintenance, however it seems that many building owners look at this to be an unecessary evil.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 30, 2007
As a structural engineer coming from Europe and living here for one month, I confirm that the standart of quality construction here could be very significantly improved.
It is perfectly correct that for most small buildings the design is oversized however the matter is else:
Engineering studies are usually carried out by unqualified people so each singularity in any building could lead to a serious issue if not checked properly by a third part reviewer qualified.
Additionally,on site, nobody controls what the contractor is doing. Some drawings approved by the Third part checker and approved by DM are modified by the contractor on site.

Many owners begin to complain about durability of concrete here in UAE.
Low cement quantity, low cement ratio are a big problem here.

Many accidents occur during the construction works. Unqualified people on site is responsible for this issue.
Do you remember in August that one excavation work was flooded due to unproper dewatering calculations on site?
Do you remember that during construction a bridge collapse two weeks ago?
alanj
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 30, 2007
Thank you Alanj. At least someone out here sees eye to eye with me.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 30, 2007
Not taking sides here, but I've always found it a bit disconcerting that the tallest building in the world is coming up so fast. I guess the new breed of imported labour is genetically modified to be Spidermen.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 01, 2007
gtmash wrote:Not taking sides here, but I've always found it a bit disconcerting that the tallest building in the world is coming up so fast. I guess the new breed of imported labour is genetically modified to be Spidermen.

It's just a question of support & curing :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 01, 2007
alanj wrote:As a structural engineer coming from Europe and living here for one month, I confirm that the standart of quality construction here could be very significantly improved.

Wow, don't you think you are going out on a limb a bit.

Having been in Dubai for a month how are you able to make such 'confirmation'? Have you reviewed the quality of many buildings designed and constructed by many archites/engineers/contractors. Standards obviously would required that you have considered the codes, factors of safety, and checked the culations. I would think this would take time...

It is perfectly correct that for most small buildings the design is oversized however the matter is else:

Again, you looked at the design for "most small buildings"?

Engineering studies are usually carried out by unqualified people so each singularity in any building could lead to a serious issue if not checked properly by a third part reviewer qualified.

How do yo know this? Have you evaluated many engineering studies and the qualifications of those who performed the evaluation. Which studies are required to be reviewed by qualified third party revieweres and how many of those have you found to be reviewed by unqualified engineers?

Additionally,on site, nobody controls what the contractor is doing. Some drawings approved by the Third part checker and approved by DM are modified by the contractor on site.

Are you talking about your experience in your particular job or are you generalizing. "Nobody controls" is that because the party contracted to do so is negligent, lazy, or... Would you think that there is a "professional" obligation on your part (or your employer) to point out this failures for the greater good of the public (if these might lead to economic or personal injury lossess).

How do you know this? Have you reviewed and studied reports about cement quality. And are those for one project or many projects? Or is it rumor/innuendo...

Same with cement ratio? Have you reviewed reports about the concrete placed in any building and found the w/c ratio to be low? And if so, has the contractor not been notified? Does he have an obligation to correct? If not, then what is the basis for the statement...

Many accidents occur during the construction works. Unqualified people on site is responsible for this issue.

Accidents do happen but they may not be indicative of the qualifty of the Works (buildings, bridges, etc.)

Do you remember in August that one excavation work was flooded due to unproper dewatering calculations on site?

I don't remember but this has to do with preparation for the Works and not with the qualifty of the Works themselves. Accidents do happen, many times due to negligency and sometimes due to fatigue.

I thought you had only been here for a month? How do you know about the August flooding and that the calculations were improper?

I do and this has to do with 'false work" (scaffolding during the construction of the bridge) again not representative of the quality of the construction itself.

My "questions" above are by no means meant to defend the construction industry or to infer that you are not knowledgeable. However, I often hear statements of "poor quality" being made by individuals who are not qualified to make them. I mean not qualified to make such statements about an entire industry or building standards in general. The poor quality of bathrooms, tiling, kitchen cabinets, lobbies, and finishes are not necessarily indicative of poor quality when it comes to safety or durability of the structure itself.

What occurs many times is that rumors of "bad construction" are passes around and someone comes along and says "I am a structural engineer and..." without any substantiation (other than the statement) and then others say 'well it must be true....".

I imagine there are some crappy contractors and engineers out there but not just in Dubai - which keeps consultants, insurance companies and lawyers in business. Everyone needs to eat.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 01, 2007
Concord wrote:
alanj wrote:As a structural engineer coming from Europe and living here for one month, I confirm that the standart of quality construction here could be very significantly improved.

Wow, don't you think you are going out on a limb a bit.

Having been in Dubai for a month how are you able to make such 'confirmation'? Have you reviewed the quality of many buildings designed and constructed by many archites/engineers/contractors. Standards obviously would required that you have considered the codes, factors of safety, and checked the culations. I would think this would take time...

Again, you looked at the design for "most small buildings"?

How do yo know this? Have you evaluated many engineering studies and the qualifications of those who performed the evaluation. Which studies are required to be reviewed by qualified third party revieweres and how many of those have you found to be reviewed by unqualified engineers?

Are you talking about your experience in your particular job or are you generalizing. "Nobody controls" is that because the party contracted to do so is negligent, lazy, or... Would you think that there is a "professional" obligation on your part (or your employer) to point out this failures for the greater good of the public (if these might lead to economic or personal injury lossess).

How do you know this? Have you reviewed and studied reports about cement quality. And are those for one project or many projects? Or is it rumor/innuendo...

Same with cement ratio? Have you reviewed reports about the concrete placed in any building and found the w/c ratio to be low? And if so, has the contractor not been notified? Does he have an obligation to correct? If not, then what is the basis for the statement...

Accidents do happen but they may not be indicative of the qualifty of the Works (buildings, bridges, etc.)

I don't remember but this has to do with preparation for the Works and not with the qualifty of the Works themselves. Accidents do happen, many times due to negligency and sometimes due to fatigue.

I thought you had only been here for a month? How do you know about the August flooding and that the calculations were improper?

I do and this has to do with 'false work" (scaffolding during the construction of the bridge) again not representative of the quality of the construction itself.

My "questions" above are by no means meant to defend the construction industry or to infer that you are not knowledgeable. However, I often hear statements of "poor quality" being made by individuals who are not qualified to make them. I mean not qualified to make such statements about an entire industry or building standards in general. The poor quality of bathrooms, tiling, kitchen cabinets, lobbies, and finishes are not necessarily indicative of poor quality when it comes to safety or durability of the structure itself.

What occurs many times is that rumors of "bad construction" are passes around and someone comes along and says "I am a structural engineer and..." without any substantiation (other than the statement) and then others say 'well it must be true....".

I imagine there are some crappy contractors and engineers out there but not just in Dubai - which keeps consultants, insurance companies and lawyers in business. Everyone needs to eat.

My thoughts exactly, great post.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 01, 2007
Concord, you could be a lawyer :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 01, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Concord, you could be a lawyer :lol:

That remains me; some lawyers are crappy too. On second thought, maybe all of them are crappy... And doctors? don't get me started...

That's why I stick to driving a taxi... Long hours but...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 02, 2007
Concord wrote:

That remains me; some lawyers are crappy too. On second thought, maybe all of them are crappy... And doctors? don't get me started...

...you get to choose who you want to pick up.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2007
gtmash wrote:
Concord wrote:

Not for much longer.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 02, 2007
Construction here is not the best... thats for certain. Even the "better" residential areas like the Meadows, Springs, etc leak when it rains.

What worries me more is the lack of planning here... the Marina is one scary place with so many tall towers and not enough space for fire and rescue services to have access to all side of the buildings

And since im on a whinging trip, I'd better mention the lack of foothpaths as well
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 02, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:
Concord wrote:

Not for much longer.

Did you hear something? Are complaints reaching the RTA now?

And Keith, the Marina is going to have issues later on, what with smoke from the DEWA power plant blowing towards it occassionally.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2007
Just like to mention that if you want to see the real low side of construction, pay a visit to the new "Outlet Mall" on the Al Ain Road, I especially liked the A/C Split units for the cooling of the dome, that must have taken some engineering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat