Can't Wipe A Hard Drive On Computer Using Windows XP

Topic locked
Re: Can't Wipe A Hard Drive On Computer Using Windows XP May 03, 2012
just repartition it then, boot it from windows CD. That should do it.

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

If its not going to be reused and recycled just take out the hard drive, get your yourself an adapter and use it as an external hard drive. Taking out the harddrive usually doesn't involve more than undoing a few screws and a plug.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sounds like a nightmare! :cry:

DBAN should do the job. Why don't you try running it from your thumb drive - here's how:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-db ... g-windows/

(It should then boot from the USB drive and then erase the HDD as you wish, just ensure you set your bios to enable booting from the USB)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Can't Wipe A Hard Drive On Computer Using Windows XP May 04, 2012
I would just keep the harddrive. I am suspicious of just 'erasing' data...metadata can be 'mined' even after deletion - not worth the 50 bucks...we incinerate our harddrives.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:I would just keep the harddrive. I am suspicious of just 'erasing' data...metadata can be 'mined' even after deletion - not worth the 50 bucks...we incinerate our harddrives.
Not sure if they would take it without the HDD. If they gonna dismatle it then it should be ok. If recycle means they will take out the parts and use it again, then without the HDD they might not take it.

Above if unnecessary unless there is top secert information. Read this, it is interesting, but it will cost more than 50 bucks http://www.technologyreview.com/read_ar ... h=infotech
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

I am completely with Ambassador on this one. Just reinstalling Windows isn't enough. There can be very sensitive personal or financial data on there. Even if you delete it, it can be recovered.
mikehunt
BANNED

I've removed the hard drive and I'll likely just smash the thing when I want to get rid of it. No one can recover data on a destroyed hard drive. They still take it without the hard drive inside. :) Setting up the new computer today!

Thanks again guys :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Can't wipe a hard drive on computer using Windows XP May 06, 2012
If you still want to erase the hard drive, try hiren's boot cd (download free). Boot from this and then choose one of the hard drive erase tools. That is about the safest way, short of smashing the hard drive.
But if someone really wanted to get hold of your home movies, they could upload them from internet connection anyway.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat