Broken Internet

Topic locked
Broken Internet Apr 13, 2011
I have now been waiting 7 days for Etislut to mend my broken internet at home!

The Etislacker 'engineer' finally turned up yesterday morning (after letting me down and missing 2 previous appointments) only for me to find that:

a) he hardly spoke any English
b) he knew nothing about routers or computers
c) he was just 'The Cable Guy'

So now they are sending me another 'engineer' who is the 'DSL Guy'.

Oh I am so looking forward to his arrival and to see the technological wizardry he is able to perform on my sad, broken Siemens gigaset that we have already confirmed is connecting to the internet but steadfastly refuses to either upload or download any data.

Non performance on his behalf may have consequences that will make his eyes water, as I shove this rather square and chunky piece of equipment into one of his bodily orifices!

:x :x :x

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Broken Internet Apr 13, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:I have now been waiting 7 days for Etislut to mend my broken internet at home!

The Etislacker 'engineer' finally turned up yesterday morning (after letting me down and missing 2 previous appointments) only for me to find that:

Oh I am so looking forward to his arrival and to see the technological wizardry he is able to perform on my sad, broken Siemens gigaset that we have already confirmed is connecting to the internet but steadfastly refuses to either upload or download any data.

Non performance on his behalf may have consequences that will make his eyes water, as I shove this rather square and chunky piece of equipment into one of his bodily orifices!

Knight

I used to be with the other s*lut when I was in Dubai. However, I was always told that your s*lut was still better than my former s*lut any time.

You won't believe all the horor stories I had with that s*lut.

So, mate, count your blessings, and smile. You're in Dubai!!!

:lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

DK, Why did you not enlist the expertise of DD while he was still here? DOH!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dubai Knight wrote:I have now been waiting 7 days for Etislut to mend my broken internet at home!

Knight

I have similar problem (interruption of the internet) but with du last December. Moreover, at that time my neighbour faced absolutely the same issue but a "cable guy" from du came to them first and refused visited me because they had made a complaint an hour earlier then me and so I should have been waiting another cable guy.

Of cause the problems of both flats were connected. The interruptions of the Internet were owing to the burnt hub, which had been served only those two appartments. The hub was located in a locked IT cabinet in our building but outside flats. This finding took 7 days, 2 senceless visits of cable guys and a visit of an "IT engineer". After that It took 7 days for replacement of the hardware and 2 days for loading appropriate software to the device.

So DK it looks that you are in the schedule so far.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Pfff a long wait to get that fixed then. It always amazes me that it takes so long to get anything fixed - customer service ZERO!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I can confirm that most of the staff of the ISP's in the gulf are not very qualified, reason being the telecom companies dont have a budget to hire experts,

@DK - I had a similar problem, Router was working fine, but was refusing to connect to the internet, the tech guy had to make some changes at the server end , there's not much you can do from your side, if you are keen you could log on to your router and run the connection wizard , you would have to look for that though
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:I can confirm that most of the staff of the ISP's in the gulf are not very qualified, reason being the telecom companies dont have a budget to hire experts,

@DK - I had a similar problem, Router was working fine, but was refusing to connect to the internet, the tech guy had to make some changes at the server end , there's not much you can do from your side, if you are keen you could log on to your router and run the connection wizard , you would have to look for that though

You can confirm it? How long have you been in Dubai that you actually have the facts supporting your statement?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:You can confirm it? How long have you been in Dubai that you actually have the facts supporting your statement?

DSL Router problems like these are very common, doesnt matter what country your in, usually if you log on to your router , it will tell you exactly where the problem is. You need to know your gateway got by running the command [c:\ipconfig /all] , One you get the "DNS SERVERS", put that in your browser , the username is usually admin or admin123 with no password. Once your logged in you can see under connections tab where the issue is. Try it

It will look like this -->

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I was referring to this statement!!!!

zubber wrote:I can confirm that most of the staff of the ISP's in the gulf are not very qualified, reason being the telecom companies dont have a budget to hire experts,
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:I was referring to this statement!!!!

Middle eastern telcom companies, those idiots barely know what they're doing
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Broken Internet Apr 14, 2011
zubber wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:I was referring to this statement!!!!

Middle eastern telcom companies, those idiots barely know what they're doing

There speaks the voice of experience :lol: :lol: Wasn't it about 6 weeks ago you were telling us you were heading to the UAE.
And that's not a very charitable way of speaking about Indian/Filipino workers now is it?
Bethsmum

^^ Glad to know you're keeping tabs on me , Im flattered :), I was commenting on their technical proficiency, Stupidity is not confined to one particular nationality or ethnicity
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:^^ Glad to know you're keeping tabs on me , Im flattered :), I was commenting on their technical proficiency, Stupidity is not confined to one particular nationality or ethnicity

Don't be.
Bethsmum

Well it appears my router had 'lost its mind' and needed to be completely re-configured. He said it is still a current model but, as I have been using it for 3 years, "It is a little tired!"

Zubber: I am strictly a Mac man and the only way to get into the router function is to have the ISP and use the internet utility built into the Mac OS. It was fixed in about 20 minutes.

Lets see how long it lasts before its mind blows up again and I have to feed it to the dogs!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

The equivalent of the console on a mac is the "Terminal" , If you find it you can issue this command to find your DNS server, and put it into your browser, You mentioned that your router was old, Most probably the tech guy just updated your firmware

Code: Select all
ifconfig -a
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat