Bird Flu In UAE

Topic locked
Bird Flu in UAE Jan 30, 2006
Seems some Falcons in Saudi have tested positive...is it now just a matter of detection in the UAE. Does anybody have any more info.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060128/wl ... 0128195534

BTW....is it just me imagining things or have the number of birds reduced dramatically off late. The pigeons and sparrows population seems to have dwindled..I think the culling is going on full fledged out here. :sad5:

audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Bird Flu Jan 30, 2006
We are coming to the UAE in a fortnight's time and applied for a permit for our parrot to come with us 3 weeks ago.

We were told by the company handling our pets' import papers that all importation of (what they call ornamental birds) has been banned and we have to leave our captive-bred parrot behind. We've had her since she was 3 months old and she has never left our house, or mixed with any other birds. She definitely does not have bird flu since we live on an avian-flu free island.

Now it's looking more and more clear that the flu is spreading through bird migration - this weekend there were cases in North Cyprus, Iran and Saudi.

Is there anyone out there who thinks, like we do, that this is being blown out of all proportion? Or am I just prejudiced because of a broken heart having to leave our parrot behind?

Despite all this, we're counting the days to get there !
:?
qamla
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 30, 2006
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tichhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shoooooooooooooooooo

sorry cant reply, gotta really bad cold or flu

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 30, 2006
Hey arniegang .........You can relax!!

That's just a common cold you have; bird flu has lots more o's in the end shoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:
qamla
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 31, 2006
Avian flu is probably not as bad for humans in general....but for the birds I can't say! More people have died out of influenza in a day, then of Bird Flu from day one to now.

Lot's of media hype...and to counter the hype the authorities over do their regulations. Very normal for this part of the world, to overdo restrictions...apply them illogically even (as in your case) when such problems occur.

The fear with Bird Flu is that a lot of it is unknown...whether or not it can transmit btw humans etc and I never bothered to really read about it till it has got so close to home. Now that it may even be here, looking at migratory routes..it does get scary, esp when you have little kids. My daughter was kicking sand while crossing a plot where a lot of birds usually gather and I just had to disinfect her afterwards.

Its scary because method of transmission is still not 100% yet...maybe it can pass thru faeces also! Anybody with more info please advise.
audreygaur
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat