It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas.

Topic locked
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. Dec 04, 2011
I went shopping today. I hate shopping for Christmas, which I feel is just a con to get you to spend loads of money.
I went into Superdrug. I wasn't looking for presents as I don't do cheap. I was purchasing ladies things. I watched people shopping for Lynx gift boxes and other shite and remarked to Beth that if someone were to buy me something from Superdrug I would rather they saved their dosh.

I mentally added up what I had spent on Beth so far and it came to about £620. I felt ashamed.

Why do we feel compelled to spend money on gifts at Christmas? If it was up to me Christmas would be abolished but we would keep our days off work.

I even bought a Michael Buble CD which I played on the way home. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, or so I thought when I checked my bank balance.

Do you spend much at Christmas?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. Dec 04, 2011
Not really. Just bought some presents for Santa Claus (Sint Niklaas, which is the original Santa Claus IIRC), which for us is tomorrow, nothing fancy. I'm afraid still no Ipad for me :-(.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. Dec 05, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:Not really. Just bought some presents for Santa Claus (Sint Niklaas, which is the original Santa Claus IIRC), which for us is tomorrow, nothing fancy. I'm afraid still no Ipad for me :-(.

Do you mean you celebrate on December 5 FD? We always exchange presents on Christmas Eve. I think we got this habit from the Germans whilst my husband was in occupation :D

I read an article today which said that the average spend on a child in the UK was £112.
I can only think there must be shed loads of kids getting nothing as stuff was flying out of the Apple shop yesterday. There wasn't a decent Ipod for under £200 and I think the basic Ipad was about £350. Those Mac computers were nearly £1000!

Treat yourself to an Ipad FD! Tell yourself what Jennifer Aniston does in that hair advert, 'because I'm worth it' :P

And it really is beginning to look a lot like Christmas as we had our first snow today. Those huge wet flakes. Great.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Do you mean you celebrate on December 5 FD?

Did a wiki:

Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas, Kris Kringle, or simply "Santa", is a figure with legendary, historical and folkloric aspects who, in many western cultures, is said to bring gifts to the homes of the good children during the late evening and overnight hours of Christmas Eve, December 24.[1] The modern figure was derived from the Dutch figure of Sinterklaas[2]

However, in the Netherlands the Dutch celebrate on the evening of December 5

I can only think there must be shed loads of kids getting nothing as stuff was flying out of the Apple shop yesterday.

My daughter already has an Ipad, she just knows how to wrap dad around her finger. Bless her. I asked her what she wants for Sinterklaas this year. She says I just want dad to be home. Bless her double. :D
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm not sure what to wish you today FD. Would it be Happy Christmas or Happy Holidays or what?
Is your daughter going to get her wish for you to be home? I hope so, those are the presents that money can't buy.

Well if you aren't home, I hope you will all be reunited soon. But meanwhile here is a big virtual festive hug from BM.

Happy Dutch-type Christmas to you FD!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Is your daughter going to get her wish for you to be home?

Of course!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat