Atlantis Boycotted!! Do You Support?

Topic locked
Atlantis Boycotted!! Do you support? Jan 17, 2009
A German tour company is boycotting Atlantis Hotel until it agrees to release a whale shark from its aquarium.

Frankfurt-based tour company Takeoff Reisen, which organises holidays for thousands of Germans each year, said it is refusing customer requests for booking at the hotel until the "tragedy" ends.

Manager Thomas Lohrer told 7DAYS that the company had received numerous requests for but he refused to make a reservation.

"I have told my clients that I am not willing to support this tragedy. Most of my clients booked either a different hotel or a different destination," Lohrer said. , which has been holding the 13ft female whale shark since late August, has not yet returned calls from the World Wildlife Fund or 7DAYS seeking a date for when the shark will be released.

It said that the shark was found floundering in shallow water and is being held at the world's largest hotel aquarium while its health is monitored.

However, a Facebook group called Set The Whale Shark Free From The Atlantis Aquarium Dubai has called for the shark's immediate release and has attracted more than 19,000 supporters.

Whale sharks are listed as a "threatened" species under international law and their trade is prohibited under the CITES agreement on the protection of endangered species.

Whale sharks are filter feeders and so do not eat other fish, making them an ideal tourist attraction at the aquarium, which houses over 60,000 other fish.

7DAYS previously reported that singer Kylie Minogue had been dropped from the list of celebrity supporters of animal charity Marine Connection because she sang at Atlantis launch party in November.

xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 18, 2009
Leave him in there. I went and had a look the other day and he looks awesome circling around the top with his pack of homies following him.

Plus the tank is massive. Surely it's big enough for him.

People get so worked up over one little fish. There are much better causes to put your energy into.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 18, 2009
This whale shark has lived in the wild and the ethical thing to do is to let it go back to its natural environment. If Atlantis wants a whale shark they should pay for the offspring of a captive whale shark born elsewhere/import an adult born and raised in captivity.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 18, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Leave him in there. I went and had a look the other day and he looks awesome circling around the top with his pack of homies following him.

Plus the tank is massive. Surely it's big enough for him.

People get so worked up over one little fish. There are much better causes to put your energy into.

sure buddy. perhaps we should lock you up in the confines of you supposedly comfortable little flat for the rest of your life. I am sure you would look awesome circling your flat with your pack of homies too.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 18, 2009
I have boycotted Atlantis from the start!

They are a bunch of liars! The whale-shark was never in distress or floundering, they paid fishermen to catch her, in fact they always wanted two! They promised to release her, but as yet have refused to give a date for this release, as we all know full well they never had any intention of putting her back into the wild. PETA have offered to cover the cost of release. Atlantis has been told by the local environment minister to let her go and still they refuse.

These animals filter tonnes and tonnes of plankton to feed themselves, travelling thousands of miles across the oceans in the process - now how do you expect them feed her properly in a tank! Wake up!

Not only that, because she is female it is even more important to get her released so she can breed and help the species to grow.

Atlantis are scum as far as I'm concerned.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 18, 2009
lol what difference does it make. i mean end of the day they will get a whale shark anyway. so whats the point of all this :S i dont get it. leave the shark there. she is getting looked after and she is much safer then being roasted by a fisher ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 18, 2009
Now if everyone took that attitude all the animals in the world would be exstinct in no time at all!

It's wrong! The whale-shark is a protected species and they have no right to hold her in the first place.

Your ignorance is astounding!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 18, 2009
I'm surprised that Atlantis has not been boycotted by Arabs anyway.
Sol Kerzner being a 4 x 2 and a gambling magnate.

But, yes....Free the shark!

Anybody fancy marching on that place??

smoggladite
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 18, 2009
We have discussed that possibility on the Face Book group (20,000 members FYI), however any direct action as you know is always frowned upon. So the approach is to boycott and get enough people to do so. The only way Atlantis will free her, is if they are hit in the pocket and have enough international pressure to do so.

NB - Arabs love to gamble, so no chance of banning things like that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 18, 2009
Choco....I agree, some people might get banged up and a few skulls might be cracked but think of the publicity dear girl.

I think mr kerzner can afford to sit tight, holding young sammy hostage for as long as he pleases.

Can Greenpeace not get involved?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 18, 2009
Greenpeace, PETA loads of conservation societies are already involved.

If you;re on FB, here's the link to the group:

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/ ... 3869105312
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 18, 2009
will take a look later.....Don't get me wrong, I am not any sort of animal activist, I just hate the idea of A***holes making money out of this sort of thing!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 18, 2009
I've been there and seen the majestic animal circling the tank..n u feel bad for the shark... its not meant to be there..
the shark has been brought up in open seas n sudden confinement must be maddening for her..

I wholeheartedly support the boycott..

Lets add a VOTE! to see how many in the expat community support it
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 18, 2009
Some poster's mentality exactly explains why so many species are dying out around the world.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 18, 2009
Alright people. Let's not get carried away. You all think you're being environmental superheros by getting angry at the Altantis but your anger is misguided.

This is one fish. The oceans of our planet are being raped by commercial fishing and choked by pollution. Who's starting up facebook groups to save the Hammour from being wiped out in the Gulf? Who's campaigning against Japan for their overfishing of tuna? Who's protesting for tougher pollution regulations for ocean going ships? No one, lets all just spend months of our time getting mad over one fish, and if he is finally released we can all hang up our environment hats having done a good job.

It's just like whaling (my blog link). It's such an emotional issue that people lose all rational thought. You're all complaining about the colour of the paint on the axe that is falling on your heads.

If you're just upset because you think it is cruel to keep him in there as opposed to environmental issues, I hope you are all vegan. Because he looked fine last time I saw him. Better condition at least than the cow who made the burger I just ate.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jan 19, 2009
Sorry, but many of us who are concerned about one fish also modify our eating, shopping, and living habits to try to protect species that are damaged by industry. In this modern world we have an impact on animals and the environment, but if people would be more conscientious about it, the impact can be lowered. It is better to do something than stand by and do nothing.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 19, 2009
give me the dam fish ,I'll deep fry it LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 19, 2009
uaekid wrote:give me the dam fish ,I'll deep fry it LOL

Typical!

Also the story about the number of illegal animal products confiscated by customs was shocking! I really really wonder about some people on the planet sometimes.

I really wonder about people here who think it's acceptable to keep big cats (de-clawed and de-fanged) as pets! Or chimps and other protected species, because it make them 'cool'.

The amount of dog fighting that goes on in this country is disgusting! And not much will be done about it, because sadly many of theose involved are policemen! - FACT from my vet, who normally gets called at 4am to patch the poor buggers up!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Alright people. Let's not get carried away. You all think you're being environmental superheros by getting angry at the Altantis but your anger is misguided.

This is one fish. The oceans of our planet are being raped by commercial fishing and choked by pollution. Who's starting up facebook groups to save the Hammour from being wiped out in the Gulf? Who's campaigning against Japan for their overfishing of tuna? Who's protesting for tougher pollution regulations for ocean going ships? No one, lets all just spend months of our time getting mad over one fish, and if he is finally released we can all hang up our environment hats having done a good job.

It's just like whaling (my blog link). It's such an emotional issue that people lose all rational thought. You're all complaining about the colour of the paint on the axe that is falling on your heads.

If you're just upset because you think it is cruel to keep him in there as opposed to environmental issues, I hope you are all vegan. Because he looked fine last time I saw him. Better condition at least than the cow who made the burger I just ate.

Captain, you're right in the fact that it is just one fish - would not impact the world population of whale sharks.

In general people here give a damn about the environment. You have millions of acres of land in the desert, but they will go and dump acres of land in the sea and build island - unnaturally. Anyway, mother nature has her own way of taking revenge. All it takes is one big wave........

Anyway getting back, think of the hysteria it created. Have you ever seen people in the uae raise voices on environmental concerns? There is a movement starting. Let it not die out.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 19, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:Alright people. Let's not get carried away. You all think you're being environmental superheros by getting angry at the Altantis but your anger is misguided.

Captain, you're right in the fact that it is just one fish - would not impact the world population of whale sharks.

In general people here give a damn about the environment. You have millions of acres of land in the desert, but they will go and dump acres of land in the sea and build island - unnaturally. Anyway, mother nature has her own way of taking revenge. All it takes is one big wave........

Anyway getting back, think of the hysteria it created. Have you ever seen people in the uae raise voices on environmental concerns? There is a movement starting. Let it not die out.

Okay so let's put it another way! It might be one fish! However, by Atlantis being allowed to keep it, sends the wrong message to other resorts, who would then go and do the same. So that 'one' fish becomes hundreds!

:roll: Geez look at the bigger picture would you!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:
uaekid wrote:give me the dam fish ,I'll deep fry it LOL

Typical!

Also the story about the number of illegal animal products confiscated by customs was shocking! I really really wonder about some people on the planet sometimes.

I really wonder about people here who think it's acceptable to keep big cats (de-clawed and de-fanged) as pets! Or chimps and other protected species, because it make them 'cool'.

The amount of dog fighting that goes on in this country is disgusting! And not much will be done about it, because sadly many of theose involved are policemen! - FACT from my vet, who normally gets called at 4am to patch the poor buggers up!

Again dear chocoholic , you are not looking at the big picture. And always concentrate on what goes on UAE even thow You guys are the one who dose most of the impact on the world environment !! the industrial countries with it's pollution , the hunting clubs in Africa are westerns members and owners, don't you know that? the illegal fishing ! even the dog fights you worried about comes from your home country we buy them trained for fighting for you guys, don't you know that ? the factories in Asia that labor the children's over there are westerns, don't you know that?

Where do you stand in deporting over 30,000 east European families from UK and they are all legally there ? don't they have the right to live and work there

Where do you stand in all the above ? what is the effort you did to all of this? You are Concentrating you fight in the wrong place my dear.

stop being fake and lying to yourself honey.

fish right bshhhhhh
uaekid

Jan 19, 2009
Hey dude, I am a member of many organisations that deal with the above and actively work to fight such things, so stop judging before you even know that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Hey dude, I am a member of many organisations that deal with the above and actively work to fight such things, so stop judging before you even know that.

oh so you have a username and a password to log in to their sites, then what ?

you being a member and doing nothing but posting in a thread does not count dear. what activities did you participate in ? I guess non since you are busy with your life dear.. others unlike you are members who dedicated their time, money and years to help. please .DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR SELF TO BE ONE.

like I said before dear , there are ppl who are productive and there are the ones who think they are !

get real.
uaekid

Jan 19, 2009
How old is this shark anyway?
I heard that whale sharks live over a hundred years!
I wonder by that time if Atlantis will be around....or it'll sink long before that?
Asmodai
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 19, 2009
I don't have to justify or tell you anything 'dear'! As it happens I make lots of donations to various organisations and work to raise awareness.

What do you do?

Nowt I suspect.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
Asmodai wrote:How old is this shark anyway?
I heard that whale sharks live over a hundred years!
I wonder by that time if Atlantis will be around....or it'll sink long before that?

In answer to your question, the lifespan of such animals is determined by the age they reach s.e.xual maturity, which in the case of a whaleshark is around 30 years old. The female at the Atlantis, is a juvenile. She could therefore feasibly live for over 100 years - IF she was in the wild.

Typically, whalesharks do not live for more than 3 or 4 years in captivity. Therefore she is doomed to die.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 19, 2009
hahahhaah crying over a fish!!!!!

if u want to save one..start by not eating them..and yes i mean all the fish..

why dont some of u cry about the people who died in GAZA ..well for u folks animals are better than humans ..i didnt see the people who boycotted atlantis do the same and boycott "ISRAEL"

naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
naruto wrote:hahahhaah crying over a fish!!!!!

if u want to save one..start by not eating them..and yes i mean all the fish..

why dont some of u cry about the people who died in GAZA ..well for u folks animals are better than humans ..i didnt see the people who boycotted atlantis do the same and boycott "ISRAEL"

Geez ignorance must be bliss for someone like you!

The reason we speak for animals dear intellectually challenged one, is because animals have no voice and no-one to stand up for them, so we have to do it. And typically someone like you couldn't possibly understand the fact that just because we care about animals, certainly doesn't mean we don't care about people! We can do both you know, it's a thing called multi-tasking? Something that I suspect is an alien concept to you.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Atlantis Boycotted!! Do you support? Jan 19, 2009
xdude wrote:A German tour company is boycotting Atlantis Hotel until it agrees to release a whale shark from its aquarium.

The Israelis are using phosphorous weapons, children are dying of hunger in Third World countries and all the Germans can think of is a f*$%ing shark.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 19, 2009
Del, everything has it's place you know! It doesn't mean it's not an important cause! And it doesn't mean we're also not caring about other issues, it's one of many! If you don't support it, don't comment, plain and simple.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat