Assault In Office

Topic locked
Assault in office May 07, 2009
At a satellite office of an oil company in abu dhabi, a maintenanance staff supervisor (palestinian) assaults an indian cleaner by breaking a bottle on his head. The guy is bleeding profusely and manages to tell a few people who come to his help that the supervisor assulted him. He then passes out. Police and ambulance are called.

Here's the disgusting part. Some of the arab staff tell the police that the injury was self-inflicted. Although the conversation was in arabic, another non-arab staff member was able to understand what was being said. No mention of the supervisor was made. And he was not arrested or questioned by the police. No other staff were questioned. The police just took in what these few guys said.

Now the sad part is there is a high chance that the Indian cleaner may get arrested for no fault of his - on grounds of attempted suicide. While this palestinian guy walks free. Honestly, what the heck!

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
Why can't you do something about it?
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
This sure does take a cake. As its said, an act of hatred breeds hatred. That's why justice is key.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
the sad part my friend is you not knowing that there are translators in every police station and court .

now if the Indian guy insisted that the Palestinian was the one who injured him, it won't be a rocket science to prove it since no one attempt suicide by breaking a bottle on his head !! beside if the case is as told, police lab can get the finger print of the class and determine if it's true or not..
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 07, 2009
Well, when Israel bombed Palestine, did you start a post on it?

The supervisor is a Palestinian and we should support him in solidarity with what is happening in Palestine.....

For all we know the Indian may have been instigated by Zionists to start a fight....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2009
How did we all miss this blackburnrovers?

I see you are trying to justify one wrong deed by protecting another wrong deed. Mate this will only blur the difference between what is right and wrong.

Stand up when you see something wrong and support when you something right. you will gain more respect. This way you just made me realise maybe there might be another angle to everything, including one raised by you.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
Worldguy.......check oit what sarcasm means in a dictionary...... ;)
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Assault in office May 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:At a satellite office of an oil company in abu dhabi, a maintenanance staff supervisor (palestinian) assaults an indian cleaner by breaking a bottle on his head. The guy is bleeding profusely and manages to tell a few people who come to his help that the supervisor assulted him. He then passes out. Police and ambulance are called.

Here's the disgusting part. Some of the arab staff tell the police that the injury was self-inflicted. Although the conversation was in arabic, another non-arab staff member was able to understand what was being said. No mention of the supervisor was made. And he was not arrested or questioned by the police. No other staff were questioned. The police just took in what these few guys said.

Now the sad part is there is a high chance that the Indian cleaner may get arrested for no fault of his - on grounds of attempted suicide. While this palestinian guy walks free. Honestly, what the heck!

This is an injustice and it must be stopped. Does anyone still have the bottle that the guy was hit with? They may be able to get the supervisor's fingerprints off the glass and it could help support the worker's story about the assault. Anyone who witnessed it should speak up, and those who he told should report that this was the worker's story when he came to them bleeding.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 07, 2009
If the supervisor has a good relation with the GM, I wouldnt be surprised if any employee who tells the true version is threatened with dismissal.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2009
I would tell the truth, even if it meant my job. You should never let down a person who comes to you assaulted and injured. One day it might happen to you, and you wouldn't want to be screwed over.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 07, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:If the supervisor has a good relation with the GM, I wouldnt be surprised if any employee who tells the true version is threatened with dismissal.

This is what transpired. I dont work there but my friend does and he was all shaken up when he called me to tell what happened. First of all he didnt expect them to protect the supervisor and came to know of it only later when the police left. He doesnt know whether to go forward or not. one thing is for sure - his managers all seem to protect the palestenian guy.

another problem is what happens when the guy regains consiousness. he was unconsious when the police/medicals came. So his statement will be taken in the hospital. I just hope they dont make him sign something written in arabic. To hell with the translators - i know enough people have fallen into deep shit by signing papers written in arabic at police stations.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
by the way - just so you know - these cleaners get a salary of 600 dhs per month. what a life huh? and they have to go through this additional hell of mad people.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:If the supervisor has a good relation with the GM, I wouldnt be surprised if any employee who tells the true version is threatened with dismissal.

This is what transpired. I dont work there but my friend does and he was all shaken up when he called me to tell what happened. First of all he didnt expect them to protect the supervisor and came to know of it only later when the police left. He doesnt know whether to go forward or not. one thing is for sure - his managers all seem to protect the palestenian guy.

another problem is what happens when the guy regains consiousness. he was unconsious when the police/medicals came. So his statement will be taken in the hospital. I just hope they dont make him sign something written in arabic. To hell with the translators - i know enough people have fallen into deep tasty by signing papers written in arabic at police stations.

don't balm anyone if you are weak and don't know the system and can't stand up for your self ,you have the right not to sign unless you know what's in it beside a lawyer and the embassy representative, let him now that, the Indian guy could throw every one who testified falsely in jail too, it's miss leading authorities. keep us posted..
uaekid

May 07, 2009
beside, when you know the true story why are you posting in DF and not in the police station testifying against the Palestinian ?
uaekid

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:beside, when you know the true story why are you posting in DF and not in the police station testifying against the Palestinian ?

because he was not an eyewitness, I think.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:beside, when you know the true story why are you posting in DF and not in the police station testifying against the Palestinian ?

uaekid, dont get overexcited you dope. If you bothered to read my prev post properly you'll know why I am not giving my statement myself.

Anyway - update: the supervisor has been taken in for questioning based on the statement given by the cleaner.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
UAEkid thanks for the bit. I never knew if had the right to not sign anything in arabic. I am learning arabic though as if I ever fall in trouble the last thing I want is people around me talking in arabic and then I am finished.

Wish only they had good arabic teachers in UAE. Most of them do not do with the intention to teach, but to make hourly rates.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:don't balm anyone if you are weak and don't know the system and can't stand up for your self ,you have the right not to sign unless you know what's in it beside a lawyer and the embassy representative, let him now that, the Indian guy could throw every one who testified falsely in jail too, it's miss leading authorities. keep us posted..

In your ideal pefect run by the textbook world - this would be the case. In the case of a harassed, poor, hammered expat - I dont think so.

"balming" people may be your faourite pastime - not mine buddy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balm
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
then regardless of how the case will turn you jumped to conclusions based on a phone call !! for all we know it could be a self defense and that your friend hates the Palestinian guy, we all hate supervisors LOL !!

best wishes for the Indian guy, I guess he can sue the whole companies for this
uaekid

May 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
uaekid wrote:don't balm anyone if you are weak and don't know the system and can't stand up for your self ,you have the right not to sign unless you know what's in it beside a lawyer and the embassy representative, let him now that, the Indian guy could throw every one who testified falsely in jail too, it's miss leading authorities. keep us posted..

In your ideal pefect run by the textbook world - this would be the case. In the case of a harassed, poor, hammered expat - I dont think so.

"balming" people may be your faourite pastime - not mine buddy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balm

they are both expats !!
uaekid

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:then regardless of how the case will turn you jumped to conclusions based on a phone call !! for all we know it could be a self defense and that your friend hates the Palestinian guy, we all hate supervisors LOL !!

maybe I was wrong - I dont know - the case is not closed. he is just taken for questioning. remember that many of the arab guys sided with the supervisor. So its 5 people's word against one. he can still very well get away with it.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
Lot of questions need to be answered

First A bottle of what did he slam into the workers head?
Then, why did he do it?

Who called the police and ambulance? Why wasn't there First aid on site?
Where was the worker found?

If it's an attempted suicide then he wouldn't commit it by banging his head with a glass bottle, let alone in full public view...

In such a case the cops would have to resort to a statement made by the supervisor, and only if it were self defense can the supervisor be let off.

Too many loopholes dude, we need more info!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2009
yaa if the investigators are from idiots type ...
uaekid

May 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
uaekid wrote:then regardless of how the case will turn you jumped to conclusions based on a phone call !! for all we know it could be a self defense and that your friend hates the Palestinian guy, we all hate supervisors LOL !!

maybe I was wrong - I dont know - the case is not closed. he is just taken for questioning. remember that many of the arab guys sided with the supervisor. So its 5 people's word against one. he can still very well get away with it.

Your friend is between a rock and a hard place.

To step up and do the right thing would result in one of two things:
get fired (or made "redunant"), or become a target to his superiors and be ostrazised by his co-workers to the point of forcing him to leave, and he will never get a good reference for another job.

In today's environment I am sure he cannot afford to be made "redundant" nor would he want to work under stressful conditions. Somethings doing the wrong thing, by being quiet, is the only way to go. Although, having said that, I would certainly try to meet with the worker who was injured and explain why I could not come forward.

It's easy to say what he should or shouldn't do. If it were me, I would know in my heart that in spite of wanting to do the right thing, circumstances prevent me from doing so.

The other "witnesses" are openly siding with the supervisor in all probability in fear for their job.

Tell your friend that this is out of his hands.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Assault in office May 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:At a satellite office of an oil company in abu dhabi, a maintenanance staff supervisor (palestinian) assaults an indian cleaner by breaking a bottle on his head. The guy is bleeding profusely and manages to tell a few people who come to his help that the supervisor assulted him. He then passes out. Police and ambulance are called.

We need to get IDF involved.
PointGiven
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 07, 2009
I'd still tell the truth because it would eat away at my conscience. However, as Bora Bora suggested it is a good idea for your coworker to at least talk to the Indian guy and explain why he is protecting his own butt if he does choose to keep quiet with boss and the police. Maybe it would ease his conscience a little bit.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:
michaeldubai wrote:

another problem is what happens when the guy regains consiousness. he was unconsious when the police/medicals came. So his statement will be taken in the hospital. I just hope they dont make him sign something written in arabic. To hell with the translators - i know enough people have fallen into deep tasty by signing papers written in arabic at police stations.

don't balm anyone if you are weak and don't know the system and can't stand up for your self ,you have the right not to sign unless you know what's in it beside a lawyer and the embassy representative, let him now that, the Indian guy could throw every one who testified falsely in jail too, it's miss leading authorities. keep us posted..

Yea here v go... the stupid "rules" in here, even the sheikhs do this. UAETORTUE will be a TV series soon.
zukku
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 07, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Your friend is between a rock and a hard place.

To step up and do the right thing would result in one of two things:
get fired (or made "redunant"), or become a target to his superiors and be ostrazised by his co-workers to the point of forcing him to leave, and he will never get a good reference for another job.

In today's environment I am sure he cannot afford to be made "redundant" nor would he want to work under stressful conditions. Somethings doing the wrong thing, by being quiet, is the only way to go. Although, having said that, I would certainly try to meet with the worker who was injured and explain why I could not come forward.

It's easy to say what he should or shouldn't do. If it were me, I would know in my heart that in spite of wanting to do the right thing, circumstances prevent me from doing so.

The other "witnesses" are openly siding with the supervisor in all probability in fear for their job.

well said and true. Thanks. I know what I would have done. But I can only advise as you siad and not force someone. Lets hope for the best.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:yaa if the investigators are from idiots type ...

or just say UAE type
zukku
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 07, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:It's easy to say what he should or shouldn't do. If it were me, I would know in my heart that in spite of wanting to do the right thing, circumstances prevent me from doing so.

How it's true. I think he will reach even better results by uniting with those guys as an eyewitness of the suicide.

He could be even promoted then.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat