Are You Different Person Now?

Topic locked
Are you different person now? Sep 25, 2006
I ask this question, because I think I have changed a lot since I was home. I think I was very judgmental, reserved and may be prejudiced to anything that different. In theUK, I have mixed with so many different cultures/religion/ colours etc. I think, I like my new self because been judgmental and prejudiced is not very nice thing, I stopped contacts with my school friends because we are just too different now. I know that you do not have to agree in everything to be friends but there are things that you find in friends which get you closer and been prejudiced or judgmental can cause a lot of conflicts plus our interests, knowledge is very different. So have you changed? Do you think you are a better person? are your friends the same??.

sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2006
Sara, travel changes you. I went to live in England in 1999 and went there a little bit uptight and very finnicky about things.

Changed living circumstances and a new culture and having to deal with life in a new country will ceratinly round you to be a better person.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2006
I have changed so much since the end of high school, the end of univ that people who've known me since let's say 10yrs can hardly recognize me today.

And I believe that change can be a very good thing, if it's for the better... I have grown in confidence, I have learned from my past mistakes and I can safely say without bragging that I am a completely different man today than I was 5yrs ago...

EDIT: I also am a strong believer that constructive criticism is very important, if it comes from good friends, ppl that are close to you. It is something that helped me a lot in my life...

And regarding the "friends" thing, I too only kept like 2-3 friends from school (but who are like family for me...Been friends for 20yrs or so) . Most of my friends today I made in univ or some other way...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 25, 2006
I've changed a lot with my experiences living abroad and travelling. It has been the best thing I have ever done! Sometimes I find myself flustered with people who have never left Canada at all and therefore don't really find it important to know what is going on with the rest of the world.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 25, 2006
I too have changed, some for the better, some for the worse.

The worst being I have lost all my hair! hahahahahahahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 25, 2006
yorky500 wrote:I too have changed, some for the better, some for the worse.

Same here. I went to a high school reunion a couple years ago and no1 feking recognized me... :lol: :lol:
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 25, 2006
Nick81 wrote:
yorky500 wrote:I too have changed, some for the better, some for the worse.

Same here. I went to a high school reunion a couple years ago and no1 feking recognized me... :lol: :lol:

Hahahahaha, a sign we are getting old squire, a sign we are getting old. sigh.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 25, 2006
Haven't changed a bit since I was 3! Except I can now dress myself! Although it may be better with some help!

Seriously I don't think I have change much since I was younger. Perhaps it was my upbringing and environment.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2006
Its a good thread, and a great question to ask.

I have changed tremendously since I left home some 30 years ago.

All my damn hair fell out!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 25, 2006
Concord wrote:Seriously I don't think I have change much since I was younger.

You sure about that? There is only one constant in this world, and that is change itself. We all change consciously and subconsciously.
Phoenix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2006
I'm like S&O.....30 years and big changes. Same personality but 2 kids later, grey hair, and a little more worldly and wise (I think sometimes)

Time and circumstances does change us all. Hopefully for the best. At least it helps us keep our sense of humor!
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 25, 2006
dubai girl wrote:I'm like S&O.....30 years and big changes. Same personality but 2 kids later, grey hair, and a little more worldly and wise (I think sometimes)

Time and circumstances does change us all. Hopefully for the best. At least it helps us keep our sense of humor!

Respect Dubai Girl
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 25, 2006
I have changed a lot as well. I think my life experience made me change, and yes a lot of my old friends now I just found that I have nothing to talk about with them. I think it is because of we have different interest like you said. Most of them are very happy to stay in their own country, to start a family and be a house wife or taking up the morgage and save up for thier babies, to have a normal and peace life etc... while me still enjoying being single, still want to see more of the world, still want to learn more about different cultures and different people in different countries, still enjoy partying, still looking for more excitment and chanllenges....
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 25, 2006
FeiPo wrote:I have changed a lot as well. I think my life experience made me change, and yes a lot of my old friends now I just found that I have nothing to talk about with them. I think it is because of we have different interest like you said. Most of them are very happy to stay in their own country, to start a family and be a house wife or taking up the morgage and save up for thier babies, to have a normal and peace life etc... while me still enjoying being single, still want to see more of the world, still want to learn more about different cultures and different people in different countries, still enjoy partying, still looking for more excitment and chanllenges....

Yes exactly the same, my friend’s wishes and ambition too different to mine. I just don’t have anything in common with them.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2006
scarlet wrote:Sara, travel changes you. I went to live in England in 1999 and went there a little bit uptight and very finnicky about things.

Changed living circumstances and a new culture and having to deal with life in a new country will ceratinly round you to be a better person.

I agree, travelling can change people, hopefully to be a better person but I have seen people who move to a place with the same bad attitude, mix with their close circle, and do the things they did at home, so apart from location nothing changed.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 25, 2006
living away def changed me - for the better - i'm not sure - it made me a nicer person and i do miss at times how much of a B*tch i used to be!

i know when i went back to the uk from the usa - you wouldnt think there are any major differences - there are and i didnt keep many of my mates in england when i returned - i am soooooo excited about the prospect of a new life and experience in dubai !!!
luckilotti
Dubai Forum User

Sep 25, 2006
i dunno i have changed or not i still hang around with my school and uni friends.

but since i ahve started workign i have realised that being nice n all isnt gonna take u any where. ppl just dont lissen to u unless u bark on them and act like an asshole.
if u ask them to do ne thing with respect they just take u for granted and wont do it or wont do it on time or the way u wanted.
u bark on them act like a jerk and they are happy with it !!
dunno but i think this is what u call practical work life or some thing.
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 25, 2006
this forum changed me...i feel as if i were in fairyland and some1 brought me back to reality..
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 25, 2006
I have not worked away from California very much, however, i do go away on 2 week business trips, but i would hardly class that as living overseas. This is my first real long term overseas experience.

I guess we do get rather insular living at home. We only know what we see and read in the news, most of which does not stay as it does not really affect us, directly I mean.

It is only when you work overseas do you really get to experience things as they should be. I am really looking forward to my time here. All my girl firends in California think i am working in the middle of a war zone :D
caligirl2
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat