Are We Afraid For Greatness

Topic locked
Are we afraid for greatness Jan 29, 2006
Just a thought, most of us wind up in cublicles. Most of us will wind up with set templates for our business cards most of us will almost always have a boss.

We all have ideas, aspirations but as we grow older we bury our ideas and lose aspiration. Why?

Your thoughts?

X
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 29, 2006
Another post from a visitor from the planet Zork

:? :?
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Are we afraid for greatness Jan 29, 2006
X wrote:Just a thought, most of us wind up in cublicles. Most of us will wind up with set templates for our business cards most of us will almost always have a boss.

We all have ideas, aspirations but as we grow older we bury our ideas and lose aspiration. Why?

Your thoughts?

actually this is a cool topic for a change lets discuss something that make sense ....

well i guess this happens because we are being overwhelmed of stuffs like deadlines, budget meetings, pressentations, tatcics and other corporate bullshits that even we hate so much but stuff that we have to do ... and as time goes by we tend to get used to eat and we tend to bend along with it ... and as soon as you notice it there !! youve changed !! you've been another battery in this corporate matrix we live in !!! ...

this thread actually makes me stop and think .... shit yeah what happened to my dreams when i was a kid???? what happened to the time where i dreamed of being a band producer of owning my own studio and managing my own talents or maybe just paying music and being famous!!! ... i tried to get unplugged out of the corporate matrix and live towards that dream after college.. when i played in a band and played as a Club DJ hell i even went into Broadcasting.. but i guess the corporate world caught up with me and i got plugged in the corporate matrix again !!

why ??? because its just stable and reliable ... unlike my dreams ... hehehe i mean untill what age would i be a DJ ? im 26 what if i get married ? what if i have kids? what life would they have to bear with ?? just for my dreams?? well i guess i choose to sacrifice my dreams for my future wife and future kid's future !! makesense right ?

hmmmm damn this thread made me sooo fckng sad I miss gigging and playing infront of live crowd !! like back in Phils.. Boracay Island, Puerto Galera .. Centro . MAKATI, Club HALO !! SIBIL Tomas Morato !!!. Pampanga...!

mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2006
Life is how it is MP - you get out of it, what you put into it - Simple :P

If people feel like they are stuck in a cubicle, then change cubicle, change business card, change boss, car, house etc

Sometimes in life we also have to take a step backward to move forward.

The one that generally winge about their boring lives or existance, are usually the one that do fek all about it.

Anything there you don't comprehend??

8) 8)
arniegang

Jan 29, 2006
i dont really get much what you wanna say specially the last line ...

but dont get me wrong and iam perfectly happy with my life now ... actually i just exagerated my miss of gigging cause actually the last time i played behind the decks were last newyear (entering 2006) ...

all i say ... fck what ever !! ill work for me kids ... i had lived my life the way i wanted to back then ... so i guess its just fair enough to think of my future kids ... i may have pulled the thread into something diff ... call me dense but i really did not understand your last post arnie hahaha sorry ...
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2006
hey major pain your childhood dreams are my dreams right now. and i m sure i will fight for it. wont give up so easily. even i am planning to start my own recording studio. just hanging on to the corporate world to collect the money required for it. and who says that if you followed your dream ur kids's wont have a good life. just think about it...its just what kind of work you are doing thats it. okie sometimes you might get involved in late night gig's but otherwise you would have more time to spend with your kids. i know most of the people leave their dreams once they get married because it becomes tougher to take risk but in the end it just depends on how crazy you are about ur dream.
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

1234 Jan 29, 2006
actually its ok .. im fine i get ot gig out on specially party but my dream had changed .... my dream now is to open an internet cafe here in dubai hahahaaha cause when i was playing in a band and playing as a DJ i saw drugs and prostitution and i saw a 14 year old girl ... just at one glance youll know shes a junky and my co DJs are talking about how they shagged her ... then it got me thinking FCK !! before i get married i have to be out of this life ... thats why ... so the corporate matrix catching up on me ... no i actually plugged my self in ... dont be sorry for me man . (but thanks for being sorry though) cause im happy ... if my kids want to be a rockstar then ill say cool !! no prob ... but i'll try my best to mold them that they will not like what i liked before ... ( FCK I started to sound like my dad !! ) just dont want them to see that world from me ... ... .. this is starting freak me out now ... lets stop this deep shit !!! =)) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

1234 Jan 29, 2006
but hey cadmus i still write songs though ... do you still play ??? we should jam sometime
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2006
definitely man, we shud jam sometime. i dont have a band now. i just play in my room with my AMP and my Ibanez. i have a friend who is learning to play guitar. we just baught a yamaha pacifica this weekend...alredy found a synth player...just need a drummer and rock on....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2006
fck its always the fckin drummer thast the problem !!!!

wait where you from ?

what type of music do you play ?
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2006
mAJOR pAIN wrote:i dont really get much what you wanna say specially the last line ...

but dont get me wrong and iam perfectly happy with my life now ... actually i just exagerated my miss of gigging cause actually the last time i played behind the decks were last newyear (entering 2006) ...

all i say ... fck what ever !! ill work for me kids ... i had lived my life the way i wanted to back then ... so i guess its just fair enough to think of my future kids ... i may have pulled the thread into something diff ... call me dense but i really did not understand your last post arnie hahaha sorry ...

My point is MP is this.

the original post was a winge about life in gereral. It ended thus:

" but as we grow older we bury our ideas and lose aspiration. Why?"

and my answer to that is quite simple

If people just sit there and dream and type these things, rather than just get on with it and MAKE things happen. Then they are in no position to winge quite frankly.

What right has someone to say "loose aspirations", if they dont actually do anything about it or even try.
arniegang

Jan 29, 2006
i m from Delhi in India. i am mostly in to retro kind of stuff....favourites are led zepp, sabbath, doors, floyd etc.
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2006
cadmus wrote:i m from Delhi in India. i am mostly in to retro kind of stuff....favourites are led zepp, sabbath, doors, floyd etc.

awesome man !!!! cool thats my influence aswell !!! ledzeep black crows pearl jam ... van halen !! !we totally have to jam !! dude !!!
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2006
Back ON topic! What is it with you guys digressing, can't you start a pointless topic thread or something!

No-one ever got rich working for somebody else! Nuff said!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 30, 2006
amen!!!

and yes im planning to upen up a internet cafe with refreshments and diff variaties of SUB sandwiches ... ill name it DOt.SUB ... i dont know... any suggestions ???
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 30, 2006
Well it's a good question! I believe this is due to the structure of our society and the lives we lead within that society. Like you said, all of us had dreams when we were children, but somewhere along the line we abandon them. Why?? Well, by time most of us start our wretched monotonous working lives we get into a particular pattern of living, a precise routine, we don't like it! But we figure "hey I'll just do this for a little while then I'll call it quits on my terms" by then, it's too late, you've got a mortgage, you're thinking of settling down and getting married, and you've just got your first promotion and you reconsider, you say to yourself "after all, I'm living a relatively secure and comfortable life. Maybe this isn't what I always wanted, but hey, who gets what they want in life, no one, right??" (I like to call it the Urban Adams Apple).

Someone once said that Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability, and for me that sums up the whole problem perfectly. It's not that most of us lack the particular talent to succeed in our chosen path, it's just that most of us opt to give up after stumbling on the first hurdle. After all, if you look at the history of humanity, of all the billions of souls that have graced humanity it is only a small handful of those who have shaped it. Why? Because most of us like to bemoan our wreteched state of affairs and blame luck, others, whoever, whatever rather that assume responsibility. And until we take responsibility for our actions we're never gonna achieve anything worthwile.

Now I don't want to act as hollier than thou because I will be the first to admit that I've fallen for that trap just as most of us have. I will pursue my dreams one day, but until then I'll just enjoy my sweet reveries :wink:
che78
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 30, 2006
mAJOR pAIN wrote:
cadmus wrote:i m from Delhi in India. i am mostly in to retro kind of stuff....favourites are led zepp, sabbath, doors, floyd etc.

awesome man !!!! cool thats my influence aswell !!! ledzeep black crows pearl jam ... van halen !! !we totally have to jam !! dude !!!

hey guys...
i've been playing guitar for about 9 years....same kinda music...if you need a guitar player with vocals/backing vocals...gimme a shout...would love to jam...stevie ray vaughn hendrix purple...etc etc...also new stuff like STP etc...

alright back on the subject of aspiring to be great...its totally doable...but is it always sustainable...15 mins of fame = the new fix mantra for momentary greatness in the ever increasing mass of mediocracy...or shall i say...too many cooks in the broth for a good chef to come out...i think greatness is being spreadout to being good...good is the enemy of great....frankly i think todays competition makes it near impossible to be great like the olden golden days...how many bill gates (bad example...though he has his merits as a humanatarian) do you find today?
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Very good point. Jan 30, 2006
We all want to do what we love and get rich in the process. So why didn't we?
The question is did we try hard enough?
X
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 30, 2006
i think its all about will power.
just got a msg from a friend and its quite related to the topic. There was a guy with me during my MBA. he did his engineering from best institute in India and then MBA from one of the top B-schools in India. he could have simply given up his dreams and would have joined a big organisation earning a handsome amount of money. But he did'nt sit for the placements. coz he wanted to climb seven highest peaks of seven continents. he had no money to support his dreams but still he left everything and faught for it. He is planning to do all seven summits in 6 months...that will make him fastest in the world to do it. and the only Indian to do so. already he has done acancagua in Argentina, kilimanjaro in africa and Mt. vinson in antartica. by april he will finish Mt. everest and the one in Australia(dont know the name).
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 31, 2006
That is precisly what I am talking about, when was the last time we did something we really wanted to do. We get these ideas as kids, then get more as teens then even more during our college years...and just when we have the opportunity to chase them we don't.
Damn why? To eat?Is that really the reason why we give up on our dreams???
X
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat