Arab Books

Topic locked
Arab books Apr 09, 2003
I know nothing about Arab literature.
Are there any famous books translated in English?

GamaniaK
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 31, 2005
The most well known would be 1001 Arabian Nights stories. Many Disney aninimations are based on characters out of arabic books.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 17, 2005
try Amazon.com
nezar33
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 18, 2005
Liban wrote:The most well known would be 1001 Arabian Nights stories. Many Disney aninimations are based on characters out of arabic books.

those disney characters dont have anything to do with arab literature. redad ibn battuta rihala and Rose garden which is hilarous book.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 19, 2005
Well I think Arabian Nights makes for great stories, can't discredit stuff coz they were made into Disney movies, else we might have to tell the likes of Victor Hugo they're not considered serious writers

The Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyam is famous...Hmm for contemporary Arab writers go for Naguib Mahfouz...there are lots of strong feminist writers in Arab Literature as well, like Nawal El Sedaawi though her views are a bit controversial for some of the more conservative...Why don't you give Kahlil Gibran a try as well?
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 19, 2005
Nik wrote:Well I think Arabian Nights makes for great stories, can't discredit stuff coz they were made into Disney movies, else we might have to tell the likes of Victor Hugo they're not considered serious writers

The Rubaiyat by Omar Khayyam is famous...Hmm for contemporary Arab writers go for Naguib Mahfouz...there are lots of strong feminist writers in Arab Literature as well, like Nawal El Sedaawi though her views are a bit controversial for some of the more conservative...Why don't you give Kahlil Gibran a try as well?

Nik, habibi, Omar Khayyam was Iranian :wink:

his Rubayat is amazing
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 19, 2005
BobbieMasoner wrote:
Nik wrote:Well I think Arabian Nights makes for great stories, can't discredit stuff coz they were made into Disney movies, else we might have to tell the likes of Victor Hugo they're not considered serious writers

Nik, habibi, Omar Khayyam was Iranian :wink:

his Rubayat is amazing

well he spoke and wrote in arabis same is the case with ibn Sina or avicenna. The great Persian Hakim
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2005
AMAZON is great!
gazzaam98
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat