AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN DUBAI

Topic locked
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN DUBAI Aug 26, 2005
I've just moved from the uk and enrolled at this place.

anyone know give me some feedback on the place, or better if you go to the uni have messenger add me on staytru_96@hotmail.co.uk .. need to iron out a few things

but any info will help, thanks.

staytru
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 27, 2005
somebody must know.. :(
staytru
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 28, 2005
its a good place !!! the compaby where my friend is working , would be sponsoring the university this coming september 8 they would be having a get together party so i guess your going to be there ? hmmmm nice ...well welcome to dubai ... and welcome to a nice cool university
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

AUD Aug 30, 2005
Anyone else have anything to say -- good or bad -- about the American University in Dubai (AUD)?
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2005
well what i heard is that its a rich kid party school :D not much edmucation going on ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

AUD vs. AUS Aug 31, 2005
How might one compare the American University in Dubai (AUD) with the American University of Sharjah (AUS)?

My understanding is that there is no connection between AUD and AUS. They just have somewhat similar names.

Is one better than the other? And, if so, then how?

Any other thoughts?
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2005
Ok a friend of mine was a professor at AUD and now is a professor at AUS.

First of all AUS is associated with Texas A&M .. while AUD is associated with American Univeristy (and Engineering school with Georgia Tech) i believe.

So yes they are not related at all. AUS is a not-for-profit school, while AUD is a profit generating buisness.

AUS is much more challenging academically and the standards,, research and all that is much higher quality than AUD. Overall a much better school.

This comes from my friends prespective as a professor, so maybe some students have other insight.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2005
AUS apparently has a kick ASS fine-arts course- you can get your BA in painting, printing or sculpture - something very hard to find in the gulf.

AUS does seem to have higher standards. Maybe AUD's are too low? AUD is central though, and there seems to be a good blend of people- this is all an outsiders perspective though :)
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Aussie school Sep 01, 2005
I heard that an Aussie school in the UAE recently had some sort of dispute with the government and was closing down.

It might have been the University of South Queensland, but I'm not sure.

Anybody know about that?
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 01, 2005
You are right it was University of South Queensland, they had a disagreement with Knowledge village and in the end the students got shafted. My humble opinion, stay away from "for profit" schools and if at all possible go somewhere else for your degree.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 01, 2005
yep, some of my sister's friends having been buggared by that. Also the teachers were unaware of their unemployment before reading it in the papers :?
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 03, 2005
wHY IS IT THAT WE A RE so quick to trash something that is flashy and glittery ... is it because it attracts our eyes?? and irritate us because even if we dont wnat to stare we find our selves staring ?? ,

or is it that flashy + Rich = Bratt a delicious concept ..

or are we sour graping ??

.. well it might be true in some cases but generalizing it wouldnt be fair .. for the school, student and faculty members ... American University Dubai is an affiliate of American University World Wide and this International Chain of University has its Standard that needed to maintain and it would be unfair to say that AUD is somewhat sub standard ... it doesnt mean that a school has cool and glittery facilities means that they are bad ?? no in the contrary... AUD has produced a lot of totally talented Graphic Artist, and Business People.. they are flashy and they got a cool University with really cool parties being organized yes ... but they also have really good learning facilities like their library, the technogy etc. its all good, it means you see where your money is being spent !!!! unlike other university that keeps taking money but you dont see any improvements ... and yes it is a bit expensive ... good education doesnt come cheap !!!! and with an American University Degree you have a Degree of prestige because its Internationaly known !!! hell there are C.I.A Agents and N.S.A Agents taken from American Universities World Wide, its a good University with a really neat
Atmosphere and its name is a good driving force in your resume ...

well as what i can see ... some comments against American Universities are like those stuff we see on the movies "its easier for people to think that rich, beautifull and flashy is bad " well if we all think this way then i suggest we all think again ,... it is just not fair .... it is still by far the best University in The Region ... and if you have the finance to enroll then i say by all means do so ... because your getting your money's worth ....
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 03, 2005
mAJOR pAIN wrote:hell there are C.I.A Agents and N.S.A Agents taken from American Universities World Wide

hehe i am not sure thats a good thing lol

Major_Pain are you AUD alumni ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 03, 2005
MaaaD wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote:hell there are C.I.A Agents and N.S.A Agents taken from American Universities World Wide

hehe i am not sure thats a good thing lol

Major_Pain are you AUD alumni ?

no im not ... but i wish i was .. i have lots of friends who got their deegree there and they all got cool jobs and a huge price tag under their name ... lets just say that i couldnt afford to got o AUD but i never sour graped ... cause they are really the best University in the Region .........
mAJOR pAIN
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 03, 2005
mAJOR pAIN wrote: cause they are really the best University in the Region .........

sorry i have to disagree with you on this one. To start off the region is lightyears behind the world when it comes to higher education. Look at a recent study of the best 500 universities in the world.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500list.htm

not one single university comes out of the Arabic speaking Middle East. Very sad. Especially that this part of the world is home to the first university in the world.

So with that premise, I think AUB (American University Beirut) is the best in the region. It combines good academics, a strong student body, influential alumni, and a tradition.

AUC (Cairo), AUS (Sharjah) and then AUD (Dubai) might follow in that order.

But then again these are all off the radar of excelling internationally. sad.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2005
MaaaD wrote:
mAJOR pAIN wrote: cause they are really the best University in the Region .........

sorry i have to disagree with you on this one. To start off the region is lightyears behind the world when it comes to higher education. Look at a recent study of the best 500 universities in the world.

not one single university comes out of the Arabic speaking Middle East. Very sad. Especially that this part of the world is home to the first university in the world.

So with that premise, I think AUB (American University Beirut) is the best in the region. It combines good academics, a strong student body, influential alumni, and a tradition.

That's true. One thing I was extremely pissed was government was spending lavishly on promoting tourism and highest skyskraper and other crap to get into guiness book of records but they arent taking any major step towards higher education. They can hire best minds in the world and provide scholarship to best students and create a cool academic environment instead they are licensing some crappy universities from all over the world. Dubai like Isreal really has the potential to be one of the best region in research but they arent taking it as top priority.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Another global ranking of unis Sep 09, 2005
Another global ranking of universities was done last year by The Times (London) Higher Education Supplement.

To see the full list, you would probably have to register. However, you can see the top 20 from that list on another site:

http://newshub.nus.edu.sg/headlines/041 ... 5nov04.htm

No schools from the Middle East in the top 20. Also, if I recall correctly, there weren't any even in the top 100 according to The Times Higher Education Supplement. However, some Asian schools are in the top 20.
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2005
I'm enrolled there and love it, been there for umm, about 8 months. Definatley has high and low days. But most places do.
Fuelonempty
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 20, 2005
MaaaD wrote:

What a sad list that is, has only a single university from Asia in top 20 and the USA schools are listed not even that good.
GoodToGo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 25, 2005
GUYSSS, WHAT ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG!?? :shock: :P
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 25, 2005
GoodToGo wrote:
MaaaD wrote:

What a sad list that is, has only a single university from Asia in top 20 and the USA schools are listed not even that good.

Well the list was prepared in china , so i wouldnt say they are biased against asia :)

also Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton .. are not so good ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2005

It is very interesting that mine ex- University is at 153 position (worldwide).
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 25, 2005
they should go down 1000 places if you are a graduate from there ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 26, 2005
HP wrote:

It is very interesting that mine ex- University is at 153 position (worldwide).

we're all assuming that english wasn't studied in any way shape or form in 'mine ex-uni' ?
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 26, 2005
'Mine Ex-Uni' is not even in the list..... damn..... grrrrrrrr :evil:
sa4877
Dubai Forums Talker

Sep 26, 2005
sa4877 wrote:'Mine Ex-Uni' is not even in the list..... damn..... grrrrrrrr :evil:

You must have been busy doing the romans :P

but seriously ask for your money back heheh
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat