All New Years Celebrations In DXB To Be Cancelled WTF!

Topic locked
All New Years celebrations in DXB to be cancelled WTF! Dec 30, 2008
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Government/10271287.html

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 30, 2008
I just heard this too!

The hotels are relying on this to save them from dismal sales over the last few months, the firework companies have already done the majority of the set ups and will lose a fortune, the catering companies are fully geared up with staff and produce...it would be a financial disaster!

They cannot stop private celebrations anyway...

Would they cancel Dubai Shopping Festival in sympathy? I think not!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 30, 2008
Bloody idiots! Seriously! If that's the case we're all going to another Emirate! Screw Dubai!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Bloody idiots! Seriously! If that's the case we're all going to another Emirate! Screw Dubai!

where UAQ or Ajman???? :lol:

sadly my friend who is an events manager at one of the hotels is still at work at this very moment because he is canceling the parties and events... you should hear his voice on the phone and hear how much money they lost this one only night!!!!! :evil:

I understand the sympathy and it is a noble move... but this decision will cost Dubai so much!!!!!

I still share my sympathy for the Palestinians and our prayers for them... and my beach BBQ is still on plan :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 31, 2008
Go to hell Chocoholic, can't we at least show sympathy to our brothers and kids getting killed, I know it wont make a diff what so ever. But you being careless about it makes you a heatless women with no feeling.

It's not all about you getting drunk and finding a one night stand dear.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 31, 2008
uaekid wrote:Go to hell Chocoholic, can't we at least show sympathy to our brothers and kids getting killed, I know it wont make a diff what so ever. But you being careless about it makes you a heatless women with no feeling.

Celebrating New year doesn't mean you don't care or you give sympathy to Palestine.
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 31, 2008
shut the f up... you guys makes me sick. how could you Celebrate anything in a time like this. but hey you have nothing to do with it, right ?
get lost.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 31, 2008
uaekid wrote:shut the f up... you guys makes me sick. how could you Celebrate anything in a time like this. but hey you have nothing to do with it, right ?
get lost.

Chill out dude. You have the right to celebrate it ANY way you like. I respect your right and at the same time heard the Ruler of the country. We live in this country so must follow the law of the land. We all (with plans tonight) have to suffer finacial loses but have no choice as I said were law abiding citizens. My heart goes out to all innocent people who are dying anywhere in the world including Palestine.
What do you have to say about the outrageous parties planned for Abu Dhabi tonight? Do those people not share the sentiments of you and your ruler?
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 31, 2008
uaekid wrote:Go to hell Chocoholic, can't we at least show sympathy to our brothers and kids getting killed, I know it wont make a diff what so ever. But you being careless about it makes you a heatless women with no feeling.

chill out you f*cking beansprout. go and say a prayer for them then if you're so concerned. why should it stop the rest of us wanting to celebrate the new year?
james c
Dubai Forum User

Dec 31, 2008

So one night of solidarity is going to make a difference is it? Where have you lot been for your 'brothers' before now? Sitting back on your backsides doing nothing is what! Oh and you can blame Hammas for this current mess, they knew exactly what Israel's reaction would be, when they fired 80 rockets at them last week.

And yes, what about all the other Emirates? Their parties are still going on!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
Oh and UAEKid! Clearly you haven't stopped to think about the long term consequences of this decision. Dubai relies on tourism and investment for the majority of its income. What kind of impression do you think this gives to that market?

All the people that have travelled here, paying thousands of dirhams to spend NY here, will go away with a disappointed and bad opinion of the place. They'll ask for refunds. It's very difficult to get over a tarnished reputation and build it up again, and god knows Dubai has been dragged through the mud in the global press in recent months!

All the venues, that have forked out to bring in extra food, drink, staff, entertainment - all this still has to be paid for and not only that, they will have to refund all the money they have charged people for the night, so they will make a huge loss. Some venues might not recover from this!

Did you stop for one second to think about this? No! Clearly not. So you go and pray or whatever it is you want to do to show solidarity, or better still why don't you 'man up' get on a plane and go and fight with your 'brothers'. But of course you wouldn't because at the end of the day, people like you are all mouth with no guts!

The other Emirates aren't willing to take the financial loss, so guess what? People will travel to them and put their hard earned cash into their celebrations instead. Dubai loses on every level with this decision.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
I suppose *he* has to be seen to be doing something authoritarian, now that he's been relieved of many of his duties...
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 31, 2008
Well yes, I think there are other underlying reasons behind the decision. Sad to say, but the big man has lost alot of favour with other rulers recently, so maybe it;s a face saving exercise more than anything.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Well yes, I think there are other underlying reasons behind the decision. Sad to say, but the big man has lost alot of favour with other rulers recently, so maybe it;s a face saving exercise more than anything.

:wink:
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 31, 2008
In another twist, it could very well be a coverup for something else. If you've had your ear to the ground, you'll had heard the numerous rumours over the last 10 days or so, and there isn't smoke without fire! If these rumours are true, you can pretty much guarantee an announcement tomorrow, as it would be a convenient time.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
I don't have my ear to the ground - what is it that we may or may not know tmr?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:In another twist, it could very well be a coverup for something else. If you've had your ear to the ground, you'll had heard the numerous rumours over the last 10 days or so, and there isn't smoke without fire! If these rumours are true, you can pretty much guarantee an announcement tomorrow, as it would be a convenient time.

Solemn music on the radio tomorrow?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 31, 2008
Could it be that Dubai has collapsed due to the financial crisis and is being taken over by AUH?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2008
I can't say anymore!

However, after talking to several of my entertainment buddies apparently indoors celebrations are going ahead. It's outdoors that will not be allowed to happen. Official confirmation will come around midday.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I can't say anymore!

However, after talking to several of my entertainment buddies apparently indoors celebrations are going ahead. It's outdoors that will not be allowed to happen. Official confirmation will come around midday.

PM is your friend. Mums the word, honest 8)
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2008
Hmmmm, cant wait to hear what rumor is all about....... 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
Clubs and bars are apparently still open for business.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
good thing shakira is in abu dhabi :D
xymo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 31, 2008
Nope, the Shakira concert was cancelled last night!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008
Rumour started 2 weeks ago that the Sheikh is dead. Shot by a relative.

Don't believe it personally.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008
ohh... my bad...

im not updated... lol
xymo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 31, 2008
john smith wrote:Rumour started 2 weeks ago that the Sheikh is dead. Shot by a relative.

Don't believe it personally.

i heard about this news yesterday and they are planning to announce it after DSF...

if its true
xymo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 31, 2008
There are several rumours, that is one of them and as far as I can gather not true.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 31, 2008

They aren't my brothers and I shouldn't be forced to pay respect to them. Those Hamas idiots are like a chihuahua who keeps biting the ankles of a pit bull and then act like they are getting picked on when the pit bull tears them to shreds. They had it comming.

I dont support one or the other, I think they all need to chill the F out.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 31, 2008
Or maybe you know solve the issue, by just nuking the whole damn place, then there would be nothing to fight over, no issues and use it as a radioactive dump site!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat