Alcohol

Topic locked
Alcohol Sep 05, 2005
Can I still get alcohol at Spinny's during Ramadan, or do I need to stock up?

Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 05, 2005
i have baught it from there only once since i came here...its very expensive....so i generally buy it from airport whenever i go out of city....dont know the rules though....what are the rules followed during ramdan....sad they only allow to take four bottles a time from airport dutyfree....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Alcohol Sep 05, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Can I still get alcohol at Spinny's during Ramadan, or do I need to stock up?

Usually in Ramaden , we become Muslim for one month ;0) !! why are you not fasting with us during Ramadan? No alcohol , No gals, no cheating ,jst a sweet man ;0).

HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Alcohol Sep 05, 2005
HP wrote:
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Can I still get alcohol at Spinny's during Ramadan, or do I need to stock up?

Usually in Ramaden , we become Muslim for one month ;0) !! why are you not fasting with us during Ramadan? No alcohol , No gals, no cheating ,jst a sweet man ;0).

You don't know squat about Islam you moron... In Islam we are not to force non-Muslims to perform the fast... Only we ask that they refrain from eating in front of those who are fasting out of respect.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Alcohol Sep 06, 2005
You don't know squat about Islam you moron... In Islam we are not to force non-Muslims to perform the fast... Only we ask that they refrain from eating in front of those who are fasting out of respect.

I was jst kidding with the author of the post. I never said it was quoted in Islam . I wanted to tell him that he should give it a try and I never mentioned that he must do it . Try to find the difference between wording sweetheart !!
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 06, 2005
spinneys dont sell alcoholImage
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 06, 2005
[quote="175bpm"]spinneys dont sell alcohol[img]http://sk1pper.com/Animation19.gif[/img][/quote]

Darn that's that scene from American History X....still scares the crap out of me lol...ewww
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

HP wrote:

I was jst kidding with the author of the post. I never said it was quoted in Islam . I wanted to tell him that he should give it a try and I never mentioned that he must do it . Try to find the difference between wording sweetheart !!

I am not your sweetheart you goddamn loser....
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

why dont u get shit loads of grapes and wheat and store em in ur gutter so they ferment faster and have em?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 06, 2005
175bpm wrote:spinneys dont sell alcohol

Ugh...yes they do. I tell them I work at the Embassy and flash one of my various ID's :twisted:

But do they during Ramadan is the question people, lets not lose focus, lives may be at stake!!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 06, 2005
hey pump, find an underground seller in ur area. u can call him anytime and he'll bring it right in front of your doorstep.
panaghoy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 06, 2005
panaghoy wrote:hey pump, find an underground seller in ur area. u can call him anytime and he'll bring it right in front of your doorstep.

Awesome, out me down for two bottles of tequila and some absinthe!
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 06, 2005
panaghoy wrote:hey pump, find an underground seller in ur area. u can call him anytime and he'll bring it right in front of your doorstep.

Yeah, but their proces during Ramadan are doubled.

2 Pumpkin: I am buying alcohol also in Spinneys, in MMI, I will ask next time about Ramadan, but I am sure that they don't sell alcohol during this month. It is better to go to Ajman or Umm-Al-Quwain to stock up.
This what I am going to do.
MAFIA
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 06, 2005
hey someone just told me that during the Ramadan...all restaurants will be closed.....atleast during fast hours....what will happen to the guys who dont cook....i hope it was a joke
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 06, 2005
cadmus wrote:hey someone just told me that during the Ramadan...all restaurants will be closed.....atleast during fast hours....what will happen to the guys who dont cook....i hope it was a joke

It wasn't a joke, all restaurants are closed during the day till 6 pm.
Only some restaurants in the hotels are open, where the hotelguests can have lunch. The foodcourts are also closed or open for takeway only.
So you can either go home and have lunch or buy some food and eat in some closed areas (everything depends on your office nationalities).
Anyway by the law you have to work 6 hours a day only, so it means that by 2.30-3.00 pm you'll be free and can go home and eat.
MAFIA
Dubai Forum Guest

Liban wrote:
HP wrote:

Liban...

If you are quoting Islam then would you not be quoting the Holy Quran, which states something down these line, and correct me if I am wrong...

"During the time of fast, life as it is goes on and as a Muslim, you must use your self control to fast. But none Muslim continue forward with life, not removing the temptations of those desires."

It is the local laws and culture that forces the expat not to drink, eat, chew gum, etc in open public but not the Holy Quran.

Stainless
stainless
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 06, 2005
[quote="cadmus"]hey someone just told me that during the Ramadan...all restaurants will be closed.....atleast during fast hours....what will happen to the guys who dont cook....i hope it was a joke[/quote]

Restaurants will be closed for dining in, but takeaways and home delivery will be in full flow...If you're in the office during lunch, thats the only recourse
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 07, 2005
I think some restaurants stay open during ramadan before sunset (the time when Muslims break their fast)... But they need to get licence/authorization from the DM (Dubai Municipality), and they must make sure there are no windows or way for people outside to see in

Regarding alcohol, don't know
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 07, 2005
I've never seen Spinneys selling alcohol, they certainly don't put it on the shelves, you have to go to MMI or African and Eastern, or nip off the the hole in the wall in Ajman or the best is the Barracuda in Umm Al Quain.

Anyway last year I saw more booze during Ramadan than at any other time, places like Longs Bar are still open, so long as it's not a night club, bars are open and selling booze.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Alcohol Sep 07, 2005
stainless wrote:
If you are quoting Islam then would you not be quoting the Holy Quran, which states something down these line, and correct me if I am wrong...

"During the time of fast, life as it is goes on and as a Muslim, you must use your self control to fast. But none Muslim continue forward with life, not removing the temptations of those desires."

It is the local laws and culture that forces the expat not to drink, eat, chew gum, etc in open public but not the Holy Quran.

Stainless

I meant it only has we muslims not we the Quran ask people to refrain from eating in public in front of those of us who fast. Its common decency, not Islamic law :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 07, 2005
Let's no let this turn into a religious war, it's all about me and gettin some BOOZE!!!! :D
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 07, 2005
Always respect other peoples customs when you live anywhere but your own Country. I wish half the f o o k e r s that live in the UK would abide by this simple Law! :lol:

No eating, drinking, smoking or anything during daylight hours of Ramadan. I think most places will open up at around 7PM! Well, the bars do anyway, but the bars will have NO music or live entertainment.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 08, 2005
ive learned that here in dubai, most of the people are expats and only 20% of the population are locals, if you put ourselves in their shoe you feel how to live in your own country as minority.so we expat need to respect their tradition and culture because we are just GUESTs in their country, the best way to do that is to respect their ways during ramadan. we are not forced to fast with them,, but this is the scenario: how can someone fast properly if they see people passing eating a MCdonalds in public or drinking beer or something like that, it would be so hard for them, :twisted: and besides it would only be for a month ,,once they break the fast ,,things will be back the way they are. the bottomline is this: we are accepted in this place with open arm and to bring back their good hospitality is by respecting their ways and tradition..
kyle
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 14, 2005
The ignorance displayed in this thread is staggering. Do any of you actually live in Dubai. Please note.

1) Spinney's do not sell alcohol, however the 2 liquor shops in the same complex (MMI, A&E) do.

2) These 2 shops will continue to sell alcohol throughout Ramadan, although shop opening times may alter slightly. Genrally they are open 10 AM - 9 PM 6 days a week, closed Friday.

3) No alcohol is sold in hotels / bars / restaurants until 7 PM, after that it's business as usual, but even less smart to get totally hammered in public during Ramadan than usual.
Mr. Logic
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 15, 2005
Mr. Logic wrote:The ignorance displayed in this thread is staggering. Do any of you actually live in Dubai. Please note.

1) Spinney's do not sell alcohol, however the 2 liquor shops in the same complex (MMI, A&E) do.

2) These 2 shops will continue to sell alcohol throughout Ramadan, although shop opening times may alter slightly. Genrally they are open 10 AM - 9 PM 6 days a week, closed Friday.

3) No alcohol is sold in hotels / bars / restaurants until 7 PM, after that it's business as usual, but even less smart to get totally hammered in public during Ramadan than usual.

That's all I wanted to know :wink:
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 17, 2005
Also in recent years, many restaurants have blacked out their windows and do open during the day for people not fasting to go and eat. We have a room put aside and blacked out for non muslims to eat lunch etc.

Yes people should be respectful during Ramadan, but on the flip side many of my Muslim friends have said that they don't have a problem with others eating etc during daytime as it only makes their resolve to fast and their will power stronger.

Plus so many people broke their fast as well, so I actually wonder how many actually do stick to it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 17, 2005
yorky500 wrote:Always respect other peoples customs when you live anywhere but your own Country. I wish half the f o o k e r s that live in the UK would abide by this simple Law!

I miss you point york - do you mean that if I am going to live in UK don't drink and eat pork or beef because other ppl over there dont - or don't speak english because some do not, - or should I hate these ppl because some other ppl do?
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Sep 18, 2005
No I think Yorky is trying to say that the UK is a Christian country, so people should respect that - correct me if I'm wrong.

For example last Ramadan a tixa driver asked where I was from, and he asked if the UK would follow Ramadan timings, fasting etc, to which I replied of course not as it's not a muslim country, work timings are not reduced but if people wish to fast then it's up to them and what they believe.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 18, 2005
If people don't drink and eat during ramadan, then don't do it (at least not to do it in front of people). Even tho you are not muslim, you still need to respect them and follow the rule.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 18, 2005
I think that alot of ppl hwo choose to live in UK do it because they feel about it as beeing a place where they don't have to "abide"
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat