Against The Labor Code?

Topic locked
Against the Labor Code? Jan 07, 2007
Hi I've been working here in Dubai for more than 6 months and still I have no Residence Visa or Employment Visa. We've our boss about this and they told us "Leave that matter to our HR. They're the one who chose who they will give a Residence Visa"... We are direct hired from our own country and if we Resigned early we will pay them approximately AED 4,000+ (I am not sure how much). For past 6 months we have no contract but only an Appointment Letter which indicates how much our salary. And this December they issued a Contract which if you not signed that contract you will not recieved your salary for this month which I think they giving us no option but to sign the contract. And if you can read the contract it states there that every month they will get a US $100.00 in our salary for the protection of the company because some employee is quitting without formal resignation because they will pay as stated before.

I want to help my friends there because majority of them wants to quit but no option. Can you give me any suggestions so I could help my friends, I think Labor Department here in Dubai do not know that some Employer/ Company are not fair for their Employees who is working very far for their Love ones. Hope to here from you guys as soon as possible.[/b]

SPIRO
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 07, 2007
Your company cannot legally employ anyone without sponsoring their visa and going through the proper channels. Please check the Ministry of Labour website and Dubai government website for more info on Labour rules. Good luck!

http://www.mol.gov.ae

http://www.dubai.ae
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Reply Jan 07, 2007
Yes you're right we are not Properly employed for 6 months. That's why we cannot go to Labor Minister. And because of we have only holding a Tourist Visa. Every Two months we go to Iran to change Visa. Very difficult for a Professional who is working with them.
SPIRO
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 07, 2007
It really pays off to check the labour law ahead of time, especially in the UAE where companies are famous for breaking laws and treating employees like dirt. I'm afraid to give any advice because I am not an expert.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
Man, you're in a difficult place.

The bottom line is, you're illegally working here in the UAE. If you go to the Ministry of Labour they will act against your employer, but here is what will happen.

1. you will get deported.
2. your employer will get a fine.

You will most certainly lose your job no matter what.

If you think this sucks and you want out... the good news is you're free to go and get another job without the risk of a ban. Otherwise, you're limited in what you can do.

I would get another job, your employer is dodge and will never treat you right. I'm in favour of naming and shaming asshats like this, but others don't think so.

If you want to cause a stir... well, I'd say go to 7 Days, but I doubt they'd even pick up the story in their current condition.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 07, 2007
Please don't tell me your employer also has your passport. If yes, you will have to come up with a creative excuse to get it back to be able to start the process of signing with a new company. Good luck with everything, and if you sign with a new company make sure they are following the law, paying you a good salary, and will not keep your passport (which is illegal). Surely, any lesser treatment is not worthy of you and you would be better off working back home.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
Yes some of us our already quit without telling our Bloodsucking boss. The problem now, is that when you changed your Visa they accompany you and after you came back here in Dubai with new Visa. They get the Passport so we wait again for our chance to handled our own passport. Weew.... I'm not worry so much about the others who already in the company. I worried about the newbie, because every month many people go out and they Hiring again and somewhat this should be stop or let them be fair with Humans if they're are animals.
SPIRO
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 07, 2007
SPIRO wrote:Yes some of us our already quit without telling our Bloodsucking boss. The problem now, is that when you changed your Visa they accompany you and after you came back here in Dubai with new Visa. They get the Passport so we wait again for our chance to handled our own passport. Weew.... I'm not worry so much about the others who already in the company. I worried about the newbie, because every month many people go out and they Hiring again and somewhat this should be stop or let them be fair with Humans if they're are animals.

What are you a slave? Refuse to hand your passport back.
^ian^

Jan 07, 2007
They accompany you with your passport and take it back right away? That is disgusting behaviour with something that is the property of your government and you. I hope you can think of some good excuse for them to give you your passport back without hovering over you to see what you are doing with it. You guys have put yourselves in a bad situation. :x
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 07, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
SPIRO wrote:Yes some of us our already quit without telling our Bloodsucking boss. The problem now, is that when you changed your Visa they accompany you and after you came back here in Dubai with new Visa. They get the Passport so we wait again for our chance to handled our own passport. Weew.... I'm not worry so much about the others who already in the company. I worried about the newbie, because every month many people go out and they Hiring again and somewhat this should be stop or let them be fair with Humans if they're are animals.

What are you a slave? Refuse to hand your passport back.

Easier said than done. Specially when they are on a visit visa, and don't have much options, its sad but true.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 07, 2007
to let you know how our business work out. First they go to Architectural and Engineering Companies which they think these companies need Cadd Operator, Cadd Architect (Licensed), and Cadd Engineers. Then They will talk business about how much they will pay our company. And of course our company demands high because they will tell the other company that they will not think about VISA'S, ACCOMMODATIONS, TRANSPO etc. There's one well known company and porject here in dubai that I worked and they paying our boss AED 15,000.00/ monthly and our boss pay us AED 3,200.00 or US $900. Of course that is business. But because the big company pays high, the Demand for work production is also High, not with the Boss but the small people who work there.
SPIRO
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 07, 2007
Interesting that this thread came up, i just had this conversation with a guy who works for IKEA at the self serve department. The guy is a contractor via a company that supplies labor to IKEA. IKEA pays the outsourcing company 3,000 dhs per month for having him and all he gets is 600 dhs and shitty labor accommodation in Al Qoz. Whats even worse is the owner of this company is an Indian so he is abusing his own peoples for financial gain.

Disgusting really, i dont know how these people sleep at night when they are making there money off of someone else's misery. Also i dont understand why those companies hire via those shady companies rather than directly hire.. especially that they can get these guys to work for them for much cheaper than what they are paying the contracting company.

SPIRO, see if you can get directly hired by your employer have them give you a residency visa and leave your abusive employer.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 08, 2007
MaaaD wrote:Also i dont understand why those companies hire via those shady companies rather than directly hire.. especially that they can get these guys to work for them for much cheaper than what they are paying the contracting company.

I believe it is to reduce their own hassles (visa, medical insurance, housing, etc), so they outsource the hassle. These big ones have too much money to throw around from their profits off overpriced goods, so they just pay the inflated outsourcing costs without flinching.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 08, 2007

I presume the visa change is done by going to Kish or somewhere like that, surely it would be easy to give them the slip when you come back at the Airport.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 08, 2007
Get your passport, resign and change job as soon as possible.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 08, 2007
MaaaD wrote:Interesting that this thread came up, i just had this conversation with a guy who works for IKEA at the self serve department. The guy is a contractor via a company that supplies labor to IKEA. IKEA pays the outsourcing company 3,000 dhs per month for having him and all he gets is 600 dhs and shitty labor accommodation in Al Qoz. Whats even worse is the owner of this company is an Indian so he is abusing his own peoples for financial gain.

Disgusting really, i dont know how these people sleep at night when they are making there money off of someone else's misery. Also i dont understand why those companies hire via those shady companies rather than directly hire.. especially that they can get these guys to work for them for much cheaper than what they are paying the contracting company.

This is very true. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Some of them are receiving less than Dhs600/- because their employer are deducting the visa expenses etc.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 08, 2007
uae75 wrote:Easier said than done. Specially when they are on a visit visa, and don't have much options, its sad but true.

This might sound harsh, but these things happen to people because they let them happen. Every now and then you have to stand up for yourself and say "No".

You could hardly be accused of absconding if you refused to give your passport back, especially if they're only on a tourist visa and not even technically employed.
^ian^

Jan 08, 2007
MaaaD wrote:Interesting that this thread came up, i just had this conversation with a guy who works for IKEA at the self serve department. The guy is a contractor via a company that supplies labor to IKEA. IKEA pays the outsourcing company 3,000 dhs per month for having him and all he gets is 600 dhs and shitty labor accommodation in Al Qoz. Whats even worse is the owner of this company is an Indian so he is abusing his own peoples for financial gain.

SPIRO, see if you can get directly hired by your employer have them give you a residency visa and leave your abusive employer.

Maaad,

Sadly its called GREED (also slavery) and its been happening all over the world for as long as history has been recorded. Man (meaning men and women) are the perpetrators of many crimes, this is just one of them.

I think you would have to look back and see who is who within the respective organisations to see where the GREED is.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 08, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
uae75 wrote:Easier said than done. Specially when they are on a visit visa, and don't have much options, its sad but true.

This might sound harsh, but these things happen to people because they let them happen. Every now and then you have to stand up for yourself and say "No".

You could hardly be accused of absconding if you refused to give your passport back, especially if they're only on a tourist visa and not even technically employed.

Agree with you Ian, however, it is easier said than done when you may have family.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 08, 2007
^ian^ wrote:

I agree with you totally, but me & you are looking at it from a different angle. We both can stand against them and refuse. But if we see things from their side; They are poor, in need of any job to gain money to send it to their families back home? They have a come a long way to find a job, can a person in such conditions have much choice? People in desperation are willing to accept anything.
uae75
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 08, 2007
uae75 wrote:People in desperation are willing to accept anything.

Which is why it will continue, because they think they can't say no.

The reality is they can, and should, if they're not prepared to accept the conditions. If they do accept the conditions, then they should be prepared to stand by their decision, or at least plan their next step to better conditions.

For me, 2007 is the year of No. I am just not going to accept situations I don't like.
^ian^

Jan 08, 2007
Thank you guys for your advises. I appreciate it much. Yes it is very easy "Just Quit and find a good Job" that is the very good answer to our problem. And I hope their children will not experience what they have done to many people they give difficulties here in Dubai.
SPIRO
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat