Advice Required From Multi Racial Couple...

Topic locked
Advice required from multi racial couple... Sep 05, 2006
I have been surfing through the topics for the last few days and have already had many questions answered but am curious, I am a 32 y/o white woman from Oz, looking to apply for a job I have seen in Dubai however my husband is 1/2 African american 1/2 Thai (think Tiger Woods without the height and the multimillion $).
I have seen that racism can be an issue and am wondering if this would severly impact his job prospects (he's in construction) and whether as a couple we would be facing additional challenges?
Thanks for all (even frank!) input :)

Bel_ben
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2006
There are thousands of mixed couples in the UAE, so I don't see that there would be a problem. Do you have problems in the US or Australia with being a mixed couple?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 05, 2006
No probs at all. We met in UK and have travelled many places with very few probs ever.
Was particularly concerned that he may have probs on the job front as I have read a few times that there is quite a bit of racism against Indians, which people sometimes guess as his nationality.
Bel_ben
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2006
HI,

JUst to put your doubts to rest, i am an indian been here over a year and have never faced any problems. Racism does exist everywhere but it depends on your approach to deal with it. For me, i have never had to face any rascism related issues in Dubai.these are just my views , people might have had different experiences.

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
Yes, there is definitely a lot of racism here, but if he has a degree and work experience from US, Australia, UK etc. and his passport is from one of those countries, then he'll be just fine.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 05, 2006
Thanks v.much!
Has put my mind at rest. I agree that it has a LOT to do with your own approach, in that instance we'll have no probs. Is good to hear as I'd seen a few posts which raised the question in my mind - one that I rarely think about to be honest.
Renews my enthusiasm to apply for the job!
Taa :D
Bel_ben
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2006
Don't let it be a "problem".
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
I'd also just like to give all you regulars a big thumbs up - it's so nice that you take the time to answer people's questions even though they have often be answered many times in many places - big cheers to you all!!!
:o
Bel_ben
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 05, 2006
No probs, happy to help! We also usually recommend the Dubai Explorer (10th edition is out, but 11th is coming) book to newbies to Dubai, and also the search function on this site to help wade through all the topics to find answers to any questions you have that might have been covered before.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Sep 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:No probs, happy to help! We also usually recommend the Dubai Explorer (10th edition is out, but 11th is coming) book to newbies to Dubai, and also the search function on this site to help wade through all the topics to find answers to any questions you have that might have been covered before.

haha i am almost convinced you get comission from them now K :P
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
kanelli wrote:Yes, there is definitely a lot of racism here, but if he has a degree and work experience from US, Australia, UK etc. and his passport is from one of those countries, then he'll be just fine.

I totally agree with Kanelli on this. Good luck
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat