ADSL Internet Rates In The UAE Vs Taiwan

Topic locked
ADSL internet rates in the UAE vs taiwan Feb 01, 2009
http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=e ... 05000a____

http://www.promotion.hinet.net/adsl_hot_03.htm#4

In Taiwan for 8M/640K you are looking at roughly 104 Dhms. per month while in the UAE Etisalat offers 4M download speeds for 449 Dhms. which is more than 4 times the amount for half the speed. 2M download in Taiwan is available for roughly 86 Dhms while in the UAE it is 349 Dhms.

I am wondering how Dubai will compete with Asia for trade when the government has a monopoly on its telecom sector and charges 4 times more for its ADSL services than those in Asia.

The monopoly either has to go or they need to drop their prices to where they don't gouge their customers. Gouging in Islam is considered harahm or not halal. A profit is reasonable but 4 times the amount of what others are charging is considered gouging. Employees that work for Etisalat in the UAE do not receive the same salaries that emplyees do in Europe or the US so there is no reason for gouging on monthly service plans.

Discuss or share your thoughts...

Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 01, 2009
I agree with u
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 01, 2009
Those connections you mentioned aren't that quick compared to Europe.

Here in Holland I (or we) have fierce competition for ADSL broadband internet and the upcoming glasfiber network is starting to gain ground.

For cable ADSL I pay approx 20 euro's (95 Dhs) for a 20Mbit down/1Mbit up connection a month. Depending on the range to the provider service center, you have a download speed of max. 1024 kb/sec.

Mighty fast for a few pennies a month. :cyclopsani:

If Dubai wants to be on top of the world, they should need the newer standards of optic cables that emerge now. I wonder what they use now...ISDN based ADSL?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Those connections you mentioned aren't that quick compared to Europe.

Here in Holland I (or we) have fierce competition for ADSL broadband internet and the upcoming glasfiber network is starting to gain ground.

For cable ADSL I pay approx 20 euro's (95 Dhs) for a 20Mbit down/1Mbit up connection a month. Depending on the range to the provider service center, you have a download speed of max. 1024 kb/sec.

If Dubai wants to be on top of the world, they should need the newer standards of optic cables that emerge now. I wonder what they use now...ISDN based ADSL?

Now you are talking, these speeds are just not available here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 02, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Those connections you mentioned aren't that quick compared to Europe.

They also have quicker connections here in Taiwan. The link I provided showed what was curently being discounted because there were other faster speeds available which most people used. They also have the new Fiber optic line here in Taiwan :wink: I used that comparisson as a basic comparisson to show just how expensive Dubai's rates were with their current monopoly on their telecom sector. I have a 12M/2M upload speeds at my shop and believe their speeds here also go up to 20M for downloads.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
Here is an example of what DTAC charges for unlimited useage in Thailand for their Mobile data packages:

http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/package/internet_package.html

999 Baht for unlimited use is roughly 105 Dhms where as Etisalat Charges a whopping 460 Dhms. per month. :shock:

http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=e ... ge&order=2

Here in Taiwan they charge 699 NT for a monthly unlimited plan which comes out to about 87 Dhms. per month. The plan in Thailand is for Edge GPRS service as they don't yet have 3.5G service but will in the near future and the plan in Taiwan is the same as it is in Dubai for the 3.5G services. Again here Etisalat gouges customers over 4 times of what other providers charge their customers overseas.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
The UAE is Far cheaper and Better value then Australia

in OZ nearly ALL plans have a 40 gig caps ( or less ) per month
some you can more after hours, But Over all YOu will go over your limit with ..well normal Internet useage...

But I'm with DU But I LOVE the UAE DSL !! :D
pete t
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 02, 2009
this monopoly has been ranted and discussed way too much already in the last 10 years. the greedy owner just wont do anything about it. all he cares is the money he is raking in so he can have more holidays and drive nice cars. :x
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
Stylinexpat wrote:Here is an example of what DTAC charges for unlimited useage in Thailand for their Mobile data packages:

999 Baht for unlimited use is roughly 105 Dhms where as Etisalat Charges a whopping 460 Dhms. per month. :shock:

Here in Taiwan they charge 699 NT for a monthly unlimited plan which comes out to about 87 Dhms. per month. The plan in Thailand is for Edge GPRS service as they don't yet have 3.5G service but will in the near future and the plan in Taiwan is the same as it is in Dubai for the 3.5G services. Again here Etisalat gouges customers over 4 times of what other providers charge their customers overseas.

What else is good in Taiwan?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 02, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:Here is an example of what DTAC charges for unlimited useage in Thailand for their Mobile data packages:

The fruits,vegetables and fish are among the best in the world. The beaches, cleanliness, hygiene and air quality are among the worst in the world here in Taiwan.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
pete t wrote:The UAE is Far cheaper and Better value then Australia

in OZ nearly ALL plans have a 40 gig caps ( or less ) per month
some you can more after hours, But Over all YOu will go over your limit with ..well normal Internet useage...

But I'm with DU But I LOVE the UAE DSL !! :D

That is pretty screwed. What are the rates in Australia on a monthly basis for cell data useage and home internet (ADSL) ?
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Re: ADSL internet rates in the UAE vs taiwan Feb 02, 2009
Landline internet is rather expensive but internet via GPRS (mobile phone) is out of range. I just wonder if somebody use it on regular basis here.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 02, 2009
That what we call imperfect competetion..where etisalat is the only provider for the internet and communication in UAE ..Du is just to make our market sound like a free market ..and etisalat suxx big time ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 02, 2009
yeah. I don't know where they get these prices.

They don't have a competitor that's why.

People can not do anything at all that's why they can just play the magic game of monopoly... if everything get competitive, a lot of business will be swarming in...
andrewg
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 02, 2009
^^agree

and the quality of the service is bad ..etisalat charge us more than any internet provider in the world although they use fiber optic for internet connection where in EU and they use satalite which is faster and more efficient
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 02, 2009
I think Etisalat or the UAE government can try and catch up with Korea for a start..

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/02/sout ... s-by-2012/
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
andrewg wrote:yeah. I don't know where they get these prices.

People can not do anything at all that's why they can just play the magic game of monopoly... if everything get competitive, a lot of business will be swarming in...

What's funny is how Etisalat bids for foreign telecom projects overseas and yet won't allow allow any telecome companies into their own country to compete with them. If I were other countries I would never allow a telecom provider to operate in my country when they themselves don't allow any others to operate in their country. One must be fair, you open your telecom services and we will open ours in return.. One must take and give these days.

In my opinion the Emirates has years to go yet before they catch up to modern nations. The local stock market is another example which offers no futures,no put, no calls, no shorting etc.. Look at how many telecom providers there are in Thailand and how many there are in the UAE.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

i guess girls
Expat
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 02, 2009

The tallest building in the World. I doubt that it's good in so seismic region...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 02, 2009
Stylinexpat wrote:

What's funny is how Etisalat bids for foreign telecom projects overseas and yet won't allow allow any telecome companies into their own country to compete with them. If I were other countries I would never allow a telecom provider to operate in my country when they themselves don't allow any others to operate in their country. One must be fair, you open your telecom services and we will open ours in return.. One must take and give these days.

In my opinion the Emirates has years to go yet before they catch up to modern nations. The local stock market is another example which offers no futures,no put, no calls, no shorting etc.. Look at how many telecom providers there are in Thailand and how many there are in the UAE.

don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

it is not about allowing or not, but its about the best quality! I believe Etislate is doing v.well in this field and one of the best tele companies that provide whats new in telecommunication if you rank them world wide and that’s why other countries seek their services . .

it is idiotaic to use the word monopoly since there is another company that operate the same business ,or do I have to define what monopoly is ?.

what is important to me is that Etislate contribute to the country big social funds like shak zaid housing project and the marriage funds..

I don't think there are many companies that compete with Etislate and if there will be , they wont contribute as much as Etislate..

Sorry but your judgment is v.poor to the subject sir.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: ADSL internet rates in the UAE vs taiwan Feb 02, 2009
Agree with all the way through but...
Stylinexpat wrote:Employees that work for Etisalat in the UAE do not receive the same salaries that emplyees do in Europe or the US so there is no reason for gouging on monthly service plans.

I'm sorry but you're grossly misinformed. What makes you say that? Have you ever worked for an ISP or network provider in Europe? Based on my observation, Etisalat and Du employees receive more than their counterparts at most companies in Europe and the U.S.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 02, 2009
Expat wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

That I forgot to mention :lol: No shortage of Pus*y here and that too goes for 1/4 of the price of what it goes for in Dubai LOL...
i guess girls
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
Red Chief wrote:

The tallest building in the World. I doubt that it's good in so seismic region...

We don't get too much quake activity here in Taiwan though we have had our shares of a few quakes :? I would hate to be any where near that 101 tower were there ever to be a quake here in Taiwan ( God forbid).
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
uaekid wrote:don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

Applause!
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 02, 2009
Double post
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 02, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:

don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

it is not about allowing or not, but its about the best quality! I believe Etislate is doing v.well in this field and one of the best tele companies that provide whats new in telecommunication if you rank them world wide and that’s why other countries seek their services . .

it is idiotaic to use the word monopoly since there is another company that operate the same business ,or do I have to define what monopoly is ?.

what is important to me is that Etislate contribute to the country big social funds like shak zaid housing project and the marriage funds..

I don't think there are many companies that compete with Etislate and if there will be , they wont contribute as much as Etislate..

DU operates under Etisalat meaning there is only one operator which fits under monopoly. A monopoly does not exist when the UAE allows another competitor to enter the market. Etisalat is government owned and that makes it a monopoly :wink:

It is not up to Etisalat to allow but since Etisalat is owned by the government there is not much of a difference. The government takes good care of the locals (Don't get me wrong) but that is also at the expense of those spending expats in the UAE :wink:
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
uaekid wrote:don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

Applause!

More on that applause here :wink:

http://www.american.edu/carmel/lr2962a/liberal.html
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2009
Stylinexpat wrote:
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:

DU operates under Etisalat meaning there is only one operator which fits under monopoly. A monopoly does not exist when the UAE allows another competitor to enter the market. Etisalat is government owned and that makes it a monopoly :wink:

It is not up to Etisalat to allow but since Etisalat is owned by the government there is not much of a difference. The government takes good care of the locals (Don't get me wrong) but that is also at the expense of those spending expats in the UAE :wink:

says who ? the 1000 years old site you just posted ?
uaekid

Feb 02, 2009
you seem to be v. interested in UAE business for a guy who lives in Taiwan !! why ? do you won a tele company? do you wana get etisalate account? ae they sending you any bills to pay?
uaekid

Feb 02, 2009
uaekid wrote:you seem to be v. interested in UAE business for a guy who lives in Taiwan !! why ? do you won a tele company? do you wana get etisalate account? ae they sending you any bills to pay?

What do you think of the new Iphone prices from Etisalat?

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Telecom/10281467.html
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat