ADSL Internet Rates In The UAE Vs Taiwan

Topic locked
Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:
andrewg wrote:yeah. I don't know where they get these prices.

They don't have a competitor that's why.

People can not do anything at all that's why they can just play the magic game of monopoly... if everything get competitive, a lot of business will be swarming in...

What's funny is how Etisalat bids for foreign telecom projects overseas and yet won't allow allow any telecome companies into their own country to compete with them. If I were other countries I would never allow a telecom provider to operate in my country when they themselves don't allow any others to operate in their country. One must be fair, you open your telecom services and we will open ours in return.. One must take and give these days.

In my opinion the Emirates has years to go yet before they catch up to modern nations. The local stock market is another example which offers no futures,no put, no calls, no shorting etc.. Look at how many telecom providers there are in Thailand and how many there are in the UAE.

don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

it is not about allowing or not, but its about the best quality! I believe Etislate is doing v.well in this field and one of the best tele companies that provide whats new in telecommunication if you rank them world wide and that’s why other countries seek their services . .

it is idiotaic to use the word monopoly since there is another company that operate the same business ,or do I have to define what monopoly is ?.

what is important to me is that Etislate contribute to the country big social funds like shak zaid housing project and the marriage funds..

I don't think there are many companies that compete with Etislate and if there will be , they wont contribute as much as Etislate..

Sorry but your judgment is v.poor to the subject sir.

i disagree with u ..
i have a Q for u ..are u happy with etisalat service..im not happy ..the highest internet speed we get from itisalat is 8mb correct me if im wrong..however in other countrys it exceed 30mb.. so how come etisalat provide the best Quality or service..etisalat provided the 3G service in 2006 where vodafon had it since 2003..we are late in every thing ..plus its funny how they charge us ..why etisalat charge me 450 for 4mb ..its way expensive..my internet got Disconnected one day and i called them to see what is the problem, it took them 1 month just to repair it ..and if u want a refund for the month u had without internet u will go through hell..also the new wireless internet USB, do u know how much it cost..they will tell u that u have to pay only 500 dh per month but they dont tell u how much it cost per MB or each downloaded content..some ppl bills reached thousands..this is cheating ..for me as cosumer i do care about the service and it cost ..if im not happy with etisalat and want to change my internet provider do i have any options..no ..Du operate under etisalat supervision ..so yes etisalat play the monopoly ..there are no competitors and etisalat can do whatever they want ..if u are not happy with my service ..u will live without internet or communicatins.

naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2009
[quote]
Prices for Internet service are comparably higher than that of the United States. It is approximately $23.00 per month for 10 hours of service and an additional $1.77 for every hour after that.
[end quote]

This quote comes from the website given above.
I wonder if these numbers are still correct? Can anyone tell me whether it has improved by now?

Thnx
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 03, 2009
naruto wrote:
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:

People can not do anything at all that's why they can just play the magic game of monopoly... if everything get competitive, a lot of business will be swarming in...

What's funny is how Etisalat bids for foreign telecom projects overseas and yet won't allow allow any telecome companies into their own country to compete with them. If I were other countries I would never allow a telecom provider to operate in my country when they themselves don't allow any others to operate in their country. One must be fair, you open your telecom services and we will open ours in return.. One must take and give these days.

In my opinion the Emirates has years to go yet before they catch up to modern nations. The local stock market is another example which offers no futures,no put, no calls, no shorting etc.. Look at how many telecom providers there are in Thailand and how many there are in the UAE.

don't be this much narrow minded !! First of all it is not up to Etisalate it self to allow other companies to operate here or not..

it is not about allowing or not, but its about the best quality! I believe Etislate is doing v.well in this field and one of the best tele companies that provide whats new in telecommunication if you rank them world wide and that’s why other countries seek their services . .

it is idiotaic to use the word monopoly since there is another company that operate the same business ,or do I have to define what monopoly is ?.

what is important to me is that Etislate contribute to the country big social funds like shak zaid housing project and the marriage funds..

I don't think there are many companies that compete with Etislate and if there will be , they wont contribute as much as Etislate..

i disagree with u ..
i have a Q for u ..are u happy with etisalat service..im not happy ..the highest internet speed we get from itisalat is 8mb correct me if im wrong..however in other countrys it exceed 30mb.. so how come etisalat provide the best Quality or service..etisalat provided the 3G service in 2006 where vodafon had it since 2003..we are late in every thing ..plus its funny how they charge us ..why etisalat charge me 450 for 4mb ..its way expensive..my internet got Disconnected one day and i called them to see what is the problem, it took them 1 month just to repair it ..and if u want a refund for the month u had without internet u will go through hell..also the new wireless internet USB, do u know how much it cost..they will tell u that u have to pay only 500 dh per month but they dont tell u how much it cost per MB or each downloaded content..some ppl bills reached thousands..this is cheating ..for me as cosumer i do care about the service and it cost ..if im not happy with etisalat and want to change my internet provider do i have any options..no ..Du operate under etisalat supervision ..so yes etisalat play the monopoly ..there are no competitors and etisalat can do whatever they want ..if u are not happy with my service ..u will live without internet or communicatins.

I didn't say the best , I said one of the best. and again if you will bring another foreigner company, will they agree to the GOV terms of contributing to social funds ? I doubt it. Will they be hiring locals as much as Etisalate ? doubt it again. it is not all about the speed connection my friend , you have to look at it from diff angels too. Beside it is a local company and should be supported by the GOV LIKE EVERY COUNTRY DOESS TO ITS LOCAL COMPANIES !.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 03, 2009
Stylinexpat wrote:
uaekid wrote:you seem to be v. interested in UAE business for a guy who lives in Taiwan !! why ? do you won a tele company? do you wana get etisalate account? ae they sending you any bills to pay?

What do you think of the new Iphone prices from Etisalat?

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Telecom/10281467.html

answer my Qs 1st man, let me know why are you are this much interested so I can discuss it with you from your point of view, it will be easier.
uaekid

Feb 03, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Prices for Internet service are comparably higher than that of the United States. It is approximately $23.00 per month for 10 hours of service and an additional $1.77 for every hour after that.
[end quote]

This quote comes from the website given above.
I wonder if these numbers are still correct? Can anyone tell me whether it has improved by now?

Thnx

This link provides the rates from verizon in the US for the basic ADSL plans and rates. Verizon is one of the more expensive providers in the US and they also have faster services available. The link provided is for their slower services :wink:

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Hi ... /Plans.htm
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:
uaekid wrote:you seem to be v. interested in UAE business for a guy who lives in Taiwan !! why ? do you won a tele company? do you wana get etisalate account? ae they sending you any bills to pay?

What do you think of the new Iphone prices from Etisalat?

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Telecom/10281467.html

answer my Qs 1st man, let me know why are you are this much interested so I can discuss it with you from your point of view, it will be easier.

I don't own a telecom company. I travel often and am expressing my views from my travel experiences. Yes, the UAE provides great internet experience if you are comparing the internet services to Syria or some other third world country in the region like Iran.

Now you can answer mine :wink: Don't forget that the Iphone 3G has been out for over a year now and the regular Iphone for over 2 years :wink:
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:
naruto wrote:
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:

i disagree with u ..

I didn't say the best , I said one of the best. and again if you will bring another foreigner company, will they agree to the GOV terms of contributing to social funds ? I doubt it. Will they be hiring locals as much as Etisalate ? doubt it again. it is not all about the speed connection my friend , you have to look at it from diff angels too. Beside it is a local company and should be supported by the GOV LIKE EVERY COUNTRY DOESS TO ITS LOCAL COMPANIES !.

If you have a monopoly on the market then you can gouge your customers, hire foreign workers (Under paid of course :wink: ) , Hire locals for the basic work and over pay them, Assign social funds for the locals and not allow foreign competition to enter.

Like I said before, locals are treated well by Etisalat but that is at the expense of foreign expats in the UAE. When I travel to Syria I get very frustrated with their internet services but when I arrive in Dubai I feel like their services are heaven when compared to Syria but coming from Asia I feel like the services in Dubai are like comparing the services in Dubai to those in Syria or Iran.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:
naruto wrote:
uaekid wrote:
Stylinexpat wrote:

i disagree with u ..

ok lets see it from that aspect..have a look at DFM companies.. u will not see any single local work at these companies ..so, do these foreigner company contribute to the social funds or community..do microsoft contribute to social funds ..do they hire locals ..
remember that we have a free market so contributing to the community will be considered as paying taxes..if they will increase their prices just to help the community, it will be from our pocket
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2009
and helping your self, and your fellow citizens of the country when you pay your bills. I think they are the only ones who pays back millions to the country, we should give them some credit for that and also for their acadimic college and other things toward us.
but international companies wont give you or the country any of that.
uaekid

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:and helping your self, and your fellow citizens of the country when you pay your bills. I think they are the only ones who pays back millions to the country, we should give them some credit for that and also for their acadimic college and other things toward us.
but international companies wont give you or the country any of that.

i agree.. but let me tell u something i studied at etisalat college of engineering..and they chrarged me for every year..when i graduated i was promise a job and guess what after 5 years of study and going through hell i get a job but the salary was 9000 dh, i wasted my time my money just for 9000DH i said its okay ..i was promised a loan up to 500k to build a hous, didnt happend ..my salary wasnt enough to get loan ..lol..laugh with etisalat..i said ok.. discoverd later that the student who studied at higher college of tech. recived a salary equal to mine ..i resigned ... so ,tell me what did etisalat do for me ..absulotly nothing special ..i could've studied at HCT for free and then worked at etisalat..
im not comparing between international companies and etisalat ..all i want is a good service .. if u are going to charge me that much ..plz make it worth every dime we pay for u ..dont rop me and hide behind your work of charity ..that does not give you an excuse to control the market..and by the way they closed the college ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2009
I agree naruto if it's regarding the service.
when I was in the states , they use to compete with each other to an extent that they sent me a cheque for $100 and another $100 as a gift to be used for paying my phone bill. ( lost the cash in gambling )
uaekid

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:I agree naruto if it's regarding the service.
when I was in the states , they use to compete with each other to an extent that they sent me a cheque for $100 and another $100 as a gift to be used for paying my phone bill. ( lost the cash in gambling )

thats was my point UAEKid..what game did u played ..i play" black jack"
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 03, 2009
you name it, all the others but mostly poker hold'em 9 players aaahhh I missed it even though I lose all the time but got addicted to it
uaekid

Feb 03, 2009
uaekid wrote:I didn't say the best , I said one of the best. and again.... !.

You say alot of things, but I hear a lot of rubbish.
For instance, my country having satellite internet connections for the cheap...which is untrue. You pay 80 euro's a month for that (~450 and up) minimum.

Discussing ok, but mind the facts and suggestions will you.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 03, 2009
Well at least this time it wasn't me mentioning this..

http://i.gizmodo.com/5145125/next+gener ... -arabs-say

:lol: :lol:

the censoring dreadful cellphone provider in the United Arab Emirates
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 04, 2009
What would be nice is if they placed installed Wifi throughout Dubai.
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat