Which Sports Car For Limited Budget?

Topic locked
Which sports car for limited budget? Mar 25, 2009
So I just sold my own car (SUV) just to be safe in this difficult situation. If it gets better, I'd buy another one, but this time I'm thinking of a sports car.

I've seen variouse brands/models advertised on dubizzle in the range of 60-80K (years vary). If I have that kind of budget, which following sports or sports-like car is recommended? Capability & durability? How much the approximate insurance rate and regular maintenance cost? Possibility to get quality third party garage & spare parts (cheaper than dealer)?

- BMW Z3
- BMW Z4
- Nissan 350z
- Ford Mustang/GT
- Porsche
- Audi TT
- Dodge Charger

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2009
Z3 n 4 Gay !

Porsche : expensive to maintain

Audi TT : You serious !

Ford Mustang : Go only for the V8. The newer retro styled is also cool

Dodge Charger : Good value, good looks, also a full sized 4 door. Also only V8

Don't forget the Chevy Lumina SS renamed the CSV. Same motor as the corvette. Just look at the pedal at your doing 100. Also a full sized 4 door so can have dual purpose aswell. Not to expensive to maintain.

350Z although I personally don't like the exterior and interior styling one bit. It is what it is, a very capable proper sports coupe for what you can say silly money compared to other cars of similar performance.

Personally I really don't care much for how well a car performs on the twisty stuff. I need a deep exhaust note and lightning take off speed so nothing beats an American V8 in that. Not going into lambo territory here.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 26, 2009
350z, very solid reliability, and if you can find a 2006 and above they have the revised engine with a bit more horsepower and less problems than the previous models. The 6 speed manual is butter-smooth and has a higher horsepower rating (316 flywheel), but the 5-speed sequential is also decently quick.

Insurance will be decent, it's a 6-cylinder, but it's also a sports coupe so expect a slightly higher percentage.

There are PLENTY of shops around Dubai that have aftermarket parts and service available for Z's too. Evolution garage has kits for up to 800 hp if you've got the cash.

sooo...Z in my book...FTW!
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 26, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:=
Don't forget the Chevy Lumina SS renamed the CSV. Same motor as the corvette. Just look at the pedal at your doing 100. Also a full sized 4 door so can have dual purpose aswell. Not to expensive to maintain.

350Z although I personally don't like the exterior and interior styling one bit. It is what it is, a very capable proper sports coupe for what you can say silly money compared to other cars of similar performance.

ah.. i forgot to include corvette.
unless it has that sports body kit, personally i think chevy lumina ss looks just like a "regular" car, not sporty enough.

mean the Z is the most bang for the buck?

in general, are american cars more expensive to maintain (regular service & spare parts) than jap cars? cmiiw
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2009
Hulahula wrote:350z, very solid reliability, and if you can find a 2006 and above they have the revised engine with a bit more horsepower and less problems than the previous models. The 6 speed manual is butter-smooth and has a higher horsepower rating (316 flywheel), but the 5-speed sequential is also decently quick.

Insurance will be decent, it's a 6-cylinder, but it's also a sports coupe so expect a slightly higher percentage.

what's the problem with older Z? is it major/expensive?
2006 and up is still slightly above 80K.
how about US import Z?
http://www.dubizzle.com/classified/auto ... ified-2005

last week when i cancel my car insurance policy (oman insurance), i overheard someone calling them asking about the rate for Audi TT 2008. they gave them 8% outside agency. it won't be higher than that, right?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 26, 2009
I've been quoted at 11%, but i'm also pretty young. The older Z's have more recalls that have to be performed at the dealerships, but they mainly refer to the 2003 and early 2004 models, being that they were the launch models.
The older Z's are fine, they just don't have the higher horsepower rating because the 2006 and 2007 models had a revised engine.
US import Z's are okay, just make sure you take them to a shop for inspection, or have a friend along that knows about them.

That Z you have in the link is pretty nice, i've seen it. Depends on where you live though, as the body kit can catch on bigger speed bumps.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 27, 2009
why is z3 and z4 gay? :?
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 27, 2009
xero_ wrote:why is z3 and z4 gay? :?

I have a Z3 M Roadster. Only people who've never driven one will call it gay.

And xty, dude, in these times, you would be shooting yourself in the foot by replacing your small SUV with a sports car, of all things. For one thing, it costs MORE to maintain and harder to sell when the shit hits the fan. I only say this because you said you wanted to be on the safe side monetarily.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 27, 2009
xero_ wrote:why is z3 and z4 gay? :?

Well, the guy who said that prefers, by his own admission, a big 4x4 with blacked-out windows, a sheikh sticker on the back window and a 4-digit number plate, so that he won't get intimidated by other rash drivers. Figure out his personality.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 27, 2009
Pankaj wrote:Well, the guy who said that prefers, by his own admission, a big 4x4 with blacked-out windows, a sheikh sticker on the back window and a 4-digit number plate,

8) 8) 8) When in rome do as the romans do 8) 8) 8)

Bmw Z's are Gay, becuase underpowered and overpriced, just because something has BMW or Merc badge automatically qualifies it as a good ride. and personally find the Z3 a girly styled car.
desertdudeshj

Mar 27, 2009
If you want a roadster get the honda s2000, ive driven that car and it pisses all over the BMW Z roadsters for fun.

From your list however, I'd get the Nissan 350z. Sexy cars
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 28, 2009
Waqsy wrote:If you want a roadster get the honda s2000, ive driven that car and it pisses all over the BMW Z roadsters for fun.

Oh, brother. Why did I bother posting that video then?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 28, 2009
Waqsy wrote:If you want a roadster get the honda s2000, ive driven that car and it pisses all over the BMW Z roadsters for fun.

Fun? Define fun, because that youtube video sure looks like fun to me. And don't quote track times, because the Z3/Z4 M pisses all over the S2000 on the Nurburgring.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 28, 2009
The Z3 6cylinder is decent-ish but the 4 cylinder drives and performs like a corolla. S2000 is also a zippy set of wheels, sad actually it really didn't take off. Most probally because they priced it like the Z's
desertdudeshj

Mar 28, 2009
gtmash wrote:And xty, dude, in these times, you would be shooting yourself in the foot by replacing your small SUV with a sports car, of all things. For one thing, it costs MORE to maintain and harder to sell when the tasty hits the fan. I only say this because you said you wanted to be on the safe side monetarily.

gt, as I said "If it gets better, I'd buy another one", that means if I nail a job within couple of months.

At the moment I'm "renting" friend's car. He's leaving the country next week and is abandoning the car. So I just pay its monthly installment (consider it "renting", cheaper than the cheapest rate from rental car company, but I got SUV instead of Lancer/Yaris), at least until either I leave the country (if nothing comes) or next reg renewal (it'll get stuck, won't it?)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 28, 2009
xty wrote:
gtmash wrote:And xty, dude, in these times, you would be shooting yourself in the foot by replacing your small SUV with a sports car, of all things. For one thing, it costs MORE to maintain and harder to sell when the tasty hits the fan. I only say this because you said you wanted to be on the safe side monetarily.

gt, as I said "If it gets better, I'd buy another one", that means if I nail a job within couple of months.

At the moment I'm "renting" friend's car. He's leaving the country next week and is abandoning the car. So I just pay its monthly installment (consider it "renting", cheaper than the cheapest rate from rental car company, but I got SUV instead of Lancer/Yaris), at least until either I leave the country (if nothing comes) or next reg renewal (it'll get stuck, won't it?)

Thats a good deal now isn't it. Probally you don't give a rats @ss about parking on pavements, paking without tickets, or hadicapped zone and getting flashed now 8)
desertdudeshj

Mar 28, 2009
xty wrote:

I thought you owned a Kia Sportage for some reason. Did you?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 28, 2009
gtmash wrote:I thought you owned a Kia Sportage for some reason. Did you?

I owned Tucson V6 2.7L. And this friend's car is Tucson too (but 2.0L). Man, I can tell now that I want my next car (whichever type) at least having V6 ;)

No regret having Tucson V6. I would buy it again if I'd choose a compact & budget SUV.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 06, 2009
Meh and Pah,get a V8 and supercharge it , this is made of win and not at all ghey,unlike all these whizz pop things people are suggesting
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 09, 2009
Buy mine!!!! E92 Coupe 335i- It has 40k in Mods including Brembo, BBS. PM me if interested or you want picts.
Evans_335i
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 14, 2009
with that budget i'd get used M3 or M5 !!! check Dubbizle loads of bargain these days !!
B44D ARS3
Dubai Forum User

Aug 17, 2009
From ur list 350Z. Full stop.
For it's cost u gonna get a real good engine, one of the best transmissions ever, slick look, descent handling, reasonable service charges and a car that with a proper driver will effortlessly leave far behind the rest from ur list.

Corvette????? Charger? Mustang? Guys u must be kidding me...
nuitgal
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 17, 2009
Although, pardon me, someone who would "choose a Tucson again" can't be a proper driver to start with IMAO...
nuitgal
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 17, 2009
nuitgal wrote:Although, pardon me, someone who would "choose a Tucson again" can't be a proper driver to start with IMAO...

you can't seem to differentiate the words "sports sedan" and "SUV" (clue: "if I'd choose a compact & budget SUV")
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 17, 2009
xty wrote:
nuitgal wrote:Although, pardon me, someone who would "choose a Tucson again" can't be a proper driver to start with IMAO...

you can't seem to differentiate the words "sports sedan" and "SUV" (clue: "if I'd choose a compact & budget SUV")

I do differentiate darling. Its just beyond my understanding that a Driver would choose a Tucson, and then would choose it again.
If u know a bit about cars u would better be walking than wasting ur money on something like this.
I'm not getting my dough from a bush in the garden, and I can't always afford the car I want, but in the worst times Tucson and alike are out of my dictionary.
No offence, it's just my point of view.
nuitgal
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 17, 2009
everybody have their own preferences. despite i'd choose a sports sedan for next, what's wrong by choosing the same thing again?

however, unless you're a car tester who had tested many cars or owned it yourself, it's said "you wouldn't know until you experience it yourself".

if i had more money, i might probably consider others. but until then i'd stick to the priorities where budget was my first, then new compact SUV/CUV was my second, as stated in my previous statement.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 19, 2009

How 'bout the SL 500?
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto