Maximum Fuel Octane?

Topic locked
Maximum Fuel Octane? Mar 19, 2007
I have a few questions...

- Can I use 'Super' fuel (octane 98 ) for the All New Civic i-VTEC engine?

- Will it too hot for the car (sparkplugs become 'white-ish')?

- Do I need to ask the agency to change the timing parameter to fully use the higher octane level?

I am under impression that using 'Super' fuel (octane 98 ) will give better 'mileage per gallons' than using 'Special' fuel (octane 95), as it will consume less fuel to give the same power.

dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 20, 2007
You mis-understood the octane rating for engines.

The higher the fuel octane, the slower it burns, thus the more control you have over timing.

Economic cars are designed with a very specific timing, due to fuel economy.

If you open the user manual, it will say the recommended fuel grade, which would be more/less 95 Octane. Adding 98 would NOT change anything, you will not be making more power, the ignition timing will not change, you will burn the same fuel.

The car is not turbocharged, the engine is not a high performance NA, you don't need 98, you will only spend a bit more on the price difference.

PS: White coated plugs doesn't mean that the fuel grade is hot, it is one indication that the timing it too retard, not enough spark, vacuum leak, fuel problems.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 20, 2007
In addition to all of the above, the dealer doesn't know shiet about tuning cars beyond factory settings, so they'll turn you away anyway. DO NOT go to some garage in ghettoland to get it done either.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 22, 2007
gtmash wrote:In addition to all of the above, the dealer doesn't know shiet about tuning cars beyond factory settings, so they'll turn you away anyway. DO NOT go to some garage in ghettoland to get it done either.

So nobody can install something like piggyback unichip?
dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 22, 2007
M!
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto