Engine Modification

Topic locked
Engine modification May 28, 2006
Hi folks...
I'm just totally ignorant about the engine mods...
I hav got a Mazda 3
can any one tell me abt any engine mods on Maz 3 to increase its acceleration..
and i want to kno if slight engine mods would cancel my warranty..

thanks

newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 28, 2006
Depends what slight means?

Generally an air filter change will not void your warranty, but any engine work like turbo, porting, pulleys, headers, and related stuff including playing with the exhaust will void it.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2006
Stage 1 mods..... plug in an air intake..... throw out your stock exhaust, get a stainless one fitted, change your wheels to something lightweight.
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Engine modification May 28, 2006
newimprovednf wrote:can any one tell me abt any engine mods on Maz 3 to increase its acceleration..
and i want to kno if slight engine mods would cancel my warranty..

thanks

In order of acceleration improvement (approximately) ...
  • Drill a hole in the exhaust. No difference but it will sound faster.
  • Remove exhaust. You'll be arrested for noise violation before you can find out if it goes faster.
  • Use higher octane petrol. Warranty should be fine. Unlikely you'll notice any difference except at high speed (marginal anyway).
  • Turn off AC. Warranty fine.
  • Get decent exhaust and air filter. Don't know about warranty.
  • Get it chipped. Probably voids warranty and wears out engine sooner.
  • Chuck out air filter. Warranty void. Engine dead.
  • Add nitro or turbo. Warranty void. Engine probably dead.
  • Toss out motor and put in big block Hemi. Watch front wheels detach themselves from car when you floor it :mrgreen:
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 28, 2006
hey liban..slight mods means som work on filters...exhaust...
nywayz thanx for info...

hey evolve as u said.... will the stage one mods void my warranty...
if not could u please advice on a good air filter for this 1.6 engine...
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 28, 2006
Stage 1 voids do not affect the warranty in most cases - unless the dealer wants to be a pain!

A drop in filter should give you reasonable gains - just make sure your dealers know you have an aftermarket filter in there (slap on a sticker on the airbox or something). I've seen many times mechanics simply throw out a K&N filter and put in a stock one during normal service.

Muffler replacement should also not be a problem as its not covered under warranty anyway. But once you change mid-pipes and de-cat - thats when they start looking at you funny.

It all depends on the relation with your dealers honestly, they usually turn a blind eye to "bolt-on" mods if you speak to them nicely.
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 28, 2006
as i told i'm totally ignorant about all these stuffss..
if i'm fitting a K&N filter on..
wen shud i replace it, i.e. after how many KMS..
wat about the gas consumption..
will der be any change in acceleration.....to be frank...somtimes while acceleratin on a green signal people honk from back..that dey need me to move faster :(
wer can i find such filters in dubai...

waitin for replies...

thanx
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2006
:lol: :lol: people honk at you at traffic lights? Dont worry buddy - thats a Dubai thing..... everyone wants to feel they are at the drag strip (even the 3ton pickup guys hauling furniture)

anyway.... go thru this article http://www.evolve.ae/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202

.... it should hopefully give you a better understanding what modding involves and the kind of results to expect.
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2006
hey evolve

could u get me a quote for a decent air intake + exhaust + installation charges
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2006
why dont you call the showroom on 04-3408869 and we will sort you out on your requirements.
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 30, 2006
ok done

thanx..
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 31, 2006
hey evolve...
today i jus drove to al quoz according to the location map in ur website...
i couldnt find any board reading "evolution"

did i make ny mistake... or is der ny change in dat map.. :shock:
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 01, 2006
The shop does not actually have street frontage. You need to go down the lane. Should have given them a call when you're in the area so they can guide you better.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2006
thanx XRW
newimprovednf
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 04, 2006
we've been working on signage - everytime we get approval to go ahead, the tenant in the front w'house leaves, so we have to start all over again!

anyway - its right next to the CONMIX factory. Best to give us a call and we'll guide you in.
evolve
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2006
1 - k&n conical filter
2 - ngk irridium spark plugz
3 - freeflow system which includes headers manifolds and exhaust
4 - any kind of power chip...say tri-phase , heard it boosts performance by 20 % so consider atleast 10 % increase which is also too much
5 - porting and polishing
6 - to reduce the weight ...you could modify the body of your car using fiber kits dat is fiber plastic .
7 - u could get a turbo with a nice intercooler
8 - if all this also makes u feel your car is slow...then sell off the engine , and buy a new engine and go ahead with engine transplant ....worked for my car .

P.S - if u get conical filter for yourself , make sure u get a custom made pipe to for cold air intake , or else your car will be slower than what it actually is ...pm me if any query...im bigtime into cars....
coolfocker
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 20, 2006
coolfocker wrote:im bigtime into cars....

Hard to take seriously when your first two suggestions are utter crap for the applications here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 20, 2006
Try nitrous on a standard engine in good condition. Dont be too greedy and go for a 50-75bhp shot and you can have some fun. Should improve your performance. A turbo car would benifit from some kinda water injection to try and cool down that poor intercooler. The oxygen in hot air is not as dense and this can affect combustion. Apparantly (well thats what I think I remember from high school science)
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 21, 2006
NOS? For everyday driving? :lol: No offence here mate, but we're talking about a bog stock Mazda 3, not the MPS version. Anything over a wet 25hp shot and those piston rings are not going to be happy campers :x
Water/Methanol injection has nothing to do with the intercooler - its a direct spray into the throttle body/manifold. Maybe you meant just water spray? If so, due to the climate here its a step in the wrong direction. If you really want to cool down the I/C here then hit it with NOS - personally I find it a waste of good NOS.
Correct on the last point - fuel doesn't burn efficiently and your car will also be more prone to pinging and detonation.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 21, 2006
dude...i went orderwise and those things do help you....conical filter for better air intake and irridium spark plugz is very good to burn fuel...it doesnt waste it like stock cars
coolfocker
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 22, 2006
coolfocker wrote:dude...i went orderwise and those things do help you....conical filter for better air intake and irridium spark plugz is very good to burn fuel...it doesnt waste it like stock cars

How's ur afm doing? Taken a look at ur intake lately?

What ignition controller do you use? You running more advance?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 13, 2006
50-75 shot of NOs WILL be fine if engine is in good order as you will in reality only get between 30-50bhp increase if your lucky.Yes your right xrw-147 NOs Will burn out piston rings if in constant use. As for water injection, yes I meant a H2O spray on the intercooler. On and XRW-147, Whats Pinging? I thought that was when you had an active sonar contact on a submarine or warship. PING PING PING LOL. Not taking the P though. I thought we called pre-det pinking although I think pinking is just as funny. :lol: :lol: oh ps cant you just use very very cold water (like ice or somefink)
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 15, 2006
Will be fine for engine short term but as it has been mentioned engine logevity is sacrificed for, lack of a better word, a shitty car.

There's so much more you can do, and for less, to a 3 and have reliable all day, everyday power increases that are not dependant on a switch and constant outlay.

Pinging and pinking are one in the same. Although it is more commonly referred to as pinging.

Have you been in Dubai? How do you intend to keep water "(very) cold" anywhere other than a fridge? Let alone on a car...

Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)—technically detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. Combusting stops suddenly, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment of the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.
RA
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 15, 2006
Have you been in Dubai? How do you intend to keep water "(very) cold" anywhere other than a fridge? Let alone on a car...

Yep! Its not that Hot :wink:

I think you could wire up the A/C unit to produce cold water.
Although I guess the power gain will be matched by the power loss of using the A/C.

I am being daft by the way :lol:
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 16, 2006
watkinssound wrote:Yep! Its not that Hot :wink:

I think you could wire up the A/C unit to produce cold water.
Although I guess the power gain will be matched by the power loss of using the A/C.

I am being daft by the way :lol:

Why not just hook it up so you can use your 'coolant' reservoir as your spray? :wink:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 18, 2006
Why not just hook it up so you can use your 'coolant' reservoir as your spray?

Thats a wicked idea. I will get on to it this afternoon...... Wait will I have enough water left for the rad? :? :?
watkinssound
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 18, 2006
watkinssound wrote:Thats a wicked idea. I will get on to it this afternoon...... Wait will I have enough water left for the rad? :? :?

You'll have to top it up at every petrol fill - much the same as normal i/c water sprays :wink:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto