Car Modification Regulations - GCC

Topic locked
Car Modification Regulations - GCC Jan 09, 2008
Are there any Car Modification Regulations in the GCC? Where would I be able to find them?

I already checked the GCC Standardisation Organisation ( www.gso.org.sa ), but could not find anything specific on modifications.

If there are no regulations, what is the current procedure?

Thanks for any help.

Proll
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 10, 2008
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 13, 2008
Thanks, bonk.

By the way, I have written to the GSO in order to get an information whether they have anything in writing.

Here is the reply I got by the GSO:

"I would like to inform you that any modification will be carried out on the original vehicles should be controlled by the local authorities in GCC countries.

You may refer to the instructions in UAE for this purpose."

That means, there seems to be no rule on GCC level, only on national level, if any.

So does anybody have more details on that or are car modifications dealt with on a case-by-case basis? I don't think...
Proll
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 13, 2008
A dude on another forum said he sent an email about mods to the RTA in Dubai. They said ANY mod is illegal, even stickers. It is more feasible for you to find out what and what not you can get away with.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 17, 2008
1/Changes, Alteration to the chassis
2/Changes, Alteration to the engine
3/Changes to the body
4/Changes to color without approval
5/Installing illegal components which is prohibited

From the above:

You can even get fined for 2nd, 4th & 5th

Stickers / Vinyls covering majority of the vehicles is prohibited
Stickers/ Vinyls covering or blocking the view (windows/windshield) [including tint] {its a heavy fine for tinting these days}

Althought no body says much, sometimes not even the cops, all you gotta do is, remove them (stickers) tune back to the stock(if parts and accessories) before renewing your car registration.

Minor modifications like Air Filters, Racing Clutches, Interior Articles, Wiring, Filters, Fans, Bearings, Pulleys are ok with them.

Also hidden articles like, sports coils, dyname, fuel pump, ECU Upgrade/Chipping cant be generally seen unless they conduct an extensive search.

There is also fine for Engine Cut-Off noise , mostly , your brand new shining muffler .

This time its gonna be hard for fellows including myself, since its RTA taking control of car registration & testing. (unless you got some big time vaasta with some watani in the RTA Office / Vehicle testing dept.)

Will keep you guys updated on this..
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Feb 26, 2008
if all the above are illegal, how do u explain car makeover shops like West Coast Customs/ Kit car corner, etc can be approved for business?

i think as long done professionally its ok.
ruzz1
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 26, 2008
gtmash wrote:even stickers.

Ha! That's excellent! I better rip off my Salik sticker then ;)
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 27, 2008
ruzz1 wrote:if all the above are illegal, how do u explain car makeover shops like West Coast Customs/ Kit car corner, etc can be approved for business?

i think as long done professionally its ok.

For KCC, i think its ok since you are only changing Looks of your car. By body modification i meant for e.g. gull-wing doors, doors, trunk & hood opening in a different way than the factory defaults etc..

These are accepted if they are being done inthe vehicles dealers' workshop.

West coast is a car cosmetics company. And they would be conducting their business after attaining permission from the RTA & local authority unlike other garages
ahamed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto