Any Entrepreneurs On These Forums??

Topic locked
Any entrepreneurs on these forums?? Jul 06, 2006
Hey all,

Would like to know how many of you all on the forums have your own business? I am thinking of starting a network mixer for Dubai entrepreneurs in September/October and would like to get an idea of entrepreneurs on these forums...

Also would like to hear about your experiences with running a business in Dubai, pros and cons. I personally love being in business here, sure its very competitive and bloody hard work, and more demanding than any job, but the personal satisfaction and tremendous financial $$ reward and opportunities here make it a dream come true.. not to mention escaping the whole workplace discrimination..

I'm involved in two businesses, one IT and the other import/export...

Do share your thoughts pple! :D

jag
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 07, 2006
All 9-5 ers here??? No business owners??
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 07, 2006
No, No, just multi-millionaires!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Any entrepreneurs on these forums?? Jul 07, 2006
jag wrote:Hey all,

Would like to know how many of you all on the forums have your own business? I am thinking of starting a network mixer for Dubai entrepreneurs in September/October and would like to get an idea of entrepreneurs on these forums...

Also would like to hear about your experiences with running a business in Dubai, pros and cons. I personally love being in business here, sure its very competitive and bloody hard work, and more demanding than any job, but the personal satisfaction and tremendous financial $$ reward and opportunities here make it a dream come true.. not to mention escaping the whole workplace discrimination..

You have to know the market, you have to obtain clientel base for your product before you open any business in dubai. I know due that I been doing business in this country including the Gulf for over 10 years before I decided to move here and open my own company, but it took me a while to decide due to legitimate factors, a lot of reseaserch and building strong network with current and new potential clients help me succeed my decession to invest and open my own sales and distribution company in Dubai. Its very nerveracking cause theres a lot $$$$ involve but in the end when you think you are ready mentally, physically and you have all the capabilities and expertise to do it then why not...I did it....

Good Luck... what kind of export and import your involve in right now, If I may asked.

GI
Geraldine
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Any entrepreneurs on these forums?? Jul 07, 2006
Geraldine wrote:
jag wrote:Hey all,

You have to know the market, you have to obtain clientel base for your product before you open any business in dubai. I know due that I been doing business in this country including the Gulf for over 10 years before I decided to move here and open my own company, but it took me a while to decide due to legitimate factors, a lot of reseaserch and building strong network with current and new potential clients help me succeed my decession to invest and open my own sales and distribution company in Dubai. Its very nerveracking cause theres a lot $$$$ involve but in the end when you think you are ready mentally, physically and you have all the capabilities and expertise to do it then why not...I did it....

Good Luck... what kind of export and import your involve in right now, If I may asked.

GI

Very true, it isnt for the faint hearted or those not ready in all aspects to start a business... but for me, I could never work under someone and be limited to a salary while I can make unlimited $$... having worked for about 5 years in various companies in Canada, I had enough and decided to open up shop in Dubai, a decision Im glad I made.. wasnt easy at first, but I had contacts and you definitely need to have that burning drive and desire to rise above the rest... And in my books, the way to be truly financial independent is through having your own business and making shrewd investements.

I'm into a variety of products in import/export and stocking locally such as marine chemicals, plastic/chemical raw materials, and construction products... in the IT sector, I manage a hosting and dedicated server business for middle east companies.. varying industries but a lot of fun! Ofcourse vacation is an unkown word to me :)

Hmm, doesnt seem there are enough on this forum to organize an entrepreneur mixer though... will look elsewhere I guess.
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 08, 2006
Some of us do have our own businesses, however we are niche based and the Dubai market can be a heaven and a hell all rolled into one. Its highly competitive, backstabbing, dog eat dog and there are a whole load of crooks and thieves out there. To be an entrepreneur in this town, you need to be either seriously rich already...or be a local.

Ndex!

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aint that the truth! Jul 08, 2006
Running Companies Internationally is a lot of stress, aint that the truth...

If you fancy having a full social life, lots of money, be prepared it will take time! Unless your one lucky person with a fab new idea!!!

The best think you can do out here, is find a rich invester to back you... Or better still find a rich guy who wants you to open any business that will be profitable and give you free reign. Just make sure you have a fab bonus scheme!!!

What kind of business do you have in mind? Drop me a PM if you want to chat more....
The Big Picture
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:To be an entrepreneur in this town, you need to be either seriously rich already...or be a local.

Ndex!

:( :( :(

Knight

Not true mate, I didnt start with much but things have turned out quite well after putting in a few years of serious effort. We mostly sell to manufacturers and only extend credit to reputable companies. So it really depends on what field you are in.. certain fields are prone to crooks, scams, and payment problems for sure.. but it is not a general thing... So you dont need to be seriusly rich, but you need to set aside enough for the first few years of operations and be willing not to make much if anything in those first few crucial years... thats where many people falter and quit to go back to their day jobs when they cant hack the uncertainty and initial stress of establishing yourself..

But at the end of the day, you can become a very successful person, not even close to what you would earn in a job, any job... and of course, you have to enjoy what you do! :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 12, 2006
The fact that there are so many businesses in Dubai is also proof that you dont need wads to cash to start a business... But there are also many cowboy operations about, which is why you need common sense when doing business and extending credit to anyone.. :)
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 02, 2006
Heehee.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 14, 2006
gtmash wrote:Heehee.

Funny?
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 15, 2006
HELLO !
GAME ENOUGH TO START A NEW EXCITING VENTURE FULL OF POSSIBILITIES?

LOG ON TO MY WEBSITE : www.the-teamwork.com/?nk10016putery

Our company has the exclusive global rights to market the Encyclopaedia Brittanica online version ! as you know they have been around for 200 years and they will be around for another 200 more .

What makes me excited and thrilled is that we have award winning educational products for toddlers up to Upper Secondary level and not only that we provide 300 online courses by Thomson netg - ranging from business, communication to ICT courses.
Click to quick demo of the product.

We have a powerful (unique) business plan. That's why i said it is possible to earn a minimum of USD 400 000 a year. Extra income! Part-time basis!

It's global - you can market online - direct to your clients! - no postage handling, no hassle.

All queries are welcomed.
we are looking for candidates to help expand our business globally!
:D
sfputery
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Business TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Business Talk