Property Agents Driving Me Nuts.

Topic locked
Property agents driving me nuts. Feb 13, 2011
Trying to rent a place in International City and I have a few gripes with property agents.

1. Property Agents insist on using a pre-printed contract with a few nasty clauses like you have to pay additional years rent if you don't give notice at the end of your contract.

2. Can't get a lease agreement 100% in English. The Arabic probably takes precedence and I don't know what it says.

3. Insist on getting a cheque before I even see a lease.

First agent I was trying to finalise a lease with cheque book in hand, ready to sign a cheque but instead I walked out out of his office because he wouldn't agree to crossing out a nasty clause in the contract. These agents seem to be working for the owner, but want to get paid by the tenant.

I've had one bad experience with the legal system in this country already, so I'm weary of signing a contract that could get me into trouble.

blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Property Agents Driving Me Nuts. Feb 13, 2011
The owner does not pay them anything. Its whatever they can the squeeze out of you, agency fees etc etc. Try to get in touch will landlords directly. They are much more flexible and they would rather have a unit rented then see it sit empty for another month.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Property Agents Driving Me Nuts. Feb 14, 2011
You need to deal with someone like me. I don't insist on any clauses or payment up front! I prefer to use my instincts. They haven't let me down so far. I have a dodgy one in at the moment tho'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

Are you a property agent BM?
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

blueshift wrote:Are you a property agent BM?

No I just have a few places of my own that I let, only one in Dubai tho'. I only tend to let it in the winter as I like to use it in the summer myself. It always seems to work well. I don't BS anybody and in return my tenants have looked after my flat.

Good luck with your property hunt. Why don't you say what you want here? Someone may get back to you. That's how I approached my current tenant.

Shame you didn't say what you were looking for earlier, my friend was looking for a tenant for her place in JBR last week. It may not have been what you were looking for tho'
Bethsmum

Re: Property Agents Driving Me Nuts. Feb 15, 2011
Finally got my lease sorted - but it was stressful. Even got the landlord to sign the lease before I handed over the cheques which the agents assured me would be impossible.

The property agent still wanted to debate how unreasonable I had been long after the deal was signed and finished. I think property agents would argue a road sign.

I think I understand why landlords don't want to sign leases untill they have the cheques in hand - it's because they are worried that the agents will lease the property then dissapear with the rent. Apparently there are some dodgy agents in this country, so now the agents expect the tenants to hand over a years rent with no contract signed.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Even with such circumstance always make sure you make your payments in the name of the landlord and never the real estate agents or agency.
desertdudeshj

blueshift wrote:Finally got my lease sorted - but it was stressful. Even got the landlord to sign the lease before I handed over the cheques which the agents assured me would be impossible.

The property agent still wanted to debate how unreasonable I had been long after the deal was signed and finished. I think property agents would argue a road sign.

I think I understand why landlords don't want to sign leases untill they have the cheques in hand - it's because they are worried that the agents will lease the property then dissapear with the rent. Apparently there are some dodgy agents in this country, so now the agents expect the tenants to hand over a years rent with no contract signed.

good to hear you've got it all sorted out.
Bethsmum

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai