Cost Breakdown For Rented Accommodation

Topic locked
Cost Breakdown for Rented Accommodation Jul 31, 2007
Hi,
Can I ask for a break down of average costs for a 1 bed flat in the Marina/Greens area? I need to get a feel for utilities, tv, phone,internet, dewa, and housing tax etc.

I am slightly alarmed at posts elsewhere stating that the housing tax is 5% of your annual rent to be paid monthly...?

I havent arrived yet but am getting worried now that things will be tight. I have agreed 19,000 AED per month with my employer. Initially in UK Pounds it looks ok but seems to evaporate when you take in the colossal rents paid in Dubai currently.

I know its another budget/cost of living question but any advice would be gladly received. Just tell me i wont be scrapping around to make ends meet, thats why i am leaving the UK! Out of the frying pan and into the fire maybe!!??

BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 01, 2007
they don't call it a housing tax, it's termed something else, but it is 5% of yearly rent, paid monthly.

as far as internet/tv/landline it can be as expensive as you want it upto 900 dhs a month, it's very al a carte here. haven't received any dewa bills yet, so can't help you there.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Cost Breakdown for Rented Accommodation Aug 02, 2007
BlueBear wrote:...
I am slightly alarmed at posts elsewhere stating that the housing tax is 5% of your annual rent to be paid monthly...?

Hey Bluebear is just sounds scary eg if your annual rent is AED100K then your housing tax is AED5000 ie. AED416/month

I think it is called municipality tax? and you pay it with your DEWA (water and electricity) bill
Coops
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 02, 2007
Thanks Coops, I almost fell out my chair when i first read it as i thought it was another 5000 on top of the monthly rent. Anyway I have come to my senses now. The 400DHS is much more manageable!

Any other advice on general living expenses for accommodation?
BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 03, 2007
Where in the UK are you coming from.

I'm from London and don't honestly see any difference in living costs.

Cars, fuel and taxis are cheaper, but as you have no public transport here (or none that you would want to use) it works out the same.

Utilites are around the same as are groceries. Bars and Restaurants again comparative to decent London hang-outs!

Is Dhs. 19000 your total inc housing, transport etc?
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2007
Yes, thats the full salary. It doesnt seem much when you take everything off. I suppose I didnt really haggle much but after year 1 i am hopeful of an increase. I suppose you could say i am coming over with only a few years experience in my profession and can not demand a large salary that say someone of 10 years experience could. I am not a total party animal and feel comfortable that i can survive on this i just want to see what i will have left over after bills and rent.
BlueBear
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 03, 2007
BlueBear wrote:Yes, thats the full salary. It doesnt seem much when you take everything off. I suppose I didnt really haggle much but after year 1 i am hopeful of an increase. I suppose you could say i am coming over with only a few years experience in my profession and can not demand a large salary that say someone of 10 years experience could. I am not a total party animal and feel comfortable that i can survive on this i just want to see what i will have left over after bills and rent.

em, it really is VERY WISE here to start as you mean to go on - I have seen many people arrive and think that they will 'make do' for the first year and then things will get better - it doesn't really work like that.

Companies are tight here, if they want you they will pay, but if there are another 10 people with the same experience willing to work for less you really don't have much chance.

If you haven't signed a contract yet, you could always try 'I have looked at the market rents and it is going to be difficult to survive etc' this has worked for a couple of people recently even after they had accepted the offer.

You will be able to survive on 19k, it will be tight if you want your own one bed in marina or greens.

Good Luck!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai