Accomodation Recommendations

Topic locked
Accomodation recommendations Mar 18, 2007
Hi everyone,

As the name says, I am an expat in Hong Kong looking to move to Dubai. Married with no kids.

My office will be near Hotel Dusit on Sheikh Zayed Road. I need a 3 or 4 bed apartment (1500-2000 sq feet) and preferably not more than 30 minutes of commute. I have earmarked a budged of 150k per annum.

- Is this a reasonable budget?
- What areas should I look at? I prefer expat - professional expat oriented areas.
- I am told that all other living expenses would be less than 10k per month - is this reasonable?

Thanks for your inputs

Regards

hkexpat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 19, 2007
The best option for you would be to rent out a villa in Jumeirah or an apartment in the Golden Sands area of Bur Dubai

For the villa, you would need to raise your budget a little higher
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks Keith.

- What kind of an area is Golden Sands?

- Are there apartments in the other area you have recommended (Jumeirah) or does it have to be a villa? What is the additional budget required if its a villa there?

Thanx
hkexpat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 22, 2007
Golden Sands is a nice well organised area which is in the heart of Bur Dubai.

Most of the places in Jumeirah are villas and to get a better idea of what they rent for, I'd recommend the Gulf News classifieds
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apartment Mar 24, 2007
Hi HKexpat,
not being a troublemaker, but i would not entertain Bur Dubai AT ALL. this is an exceptionally busy area, with horrendous traffic.
for the budget (and i assume you mean AED?) try to stay the other side of your place of business IE;- towards Abu Dhabi as then you are against the main traffic flows.
try the marina, Green Community, Arabian Ranches or Al Barsha.

i cannot see you getting a 3 or 4 bed anything for 150K, but right place right time, you never know.

3/4 B/R villas in Jumeirah are going for 220K+ although there are exceptions!
Would, personally not live in Springs, but cheaper housing there.
if you moved to bur Dubai, i would guarantee a 60-90 minute commute each way for your palce of work, even though it is only 10 KM away.

we looked at Golden Sands 10 and whilst the apartments were nice, prostitutes are working in the area and kerbcrawlers, not pleasant for wives.

i recommend that you spend 2-4 weeks upon arrival driving around looking at as many places as possible. we saw a 3 bed in Al Seef tower on the marina for 125K which we nearly took, try there and like the last person said look at the classifieds on GulfNews daily.

Good Luck
KJR42
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 26, 2007
KJR42, your views echo what one of my friends living there told me. Guess I need to get there, drive around and see what fits.

But thanks everyone - helps with some starting points when I get there.
hkexpat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Apartment Apr 11, 2007
KJR42 wrote:Hi HKexpat,
Would, personally not live in Springs, but cheaper housing there.

Good Luck

Why not??? I have been looking there and it seems the only place the prices are sensible??? Arabian ranches - haven't seen any places available on the web??
turbo_ricer
Dubai Forum Guest

Apr 11, 2007
Well, to make matters more interesting, its going to be split offices in the family. My wife's office will be near Dusit and my office will be near Dubai International City. We are still looking at the area around Greens, Meadows, Springs.
hkexpat
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai