Accommodation / Moving To Dubai Questions

Topic locked
Accommodation / Moving to Dubai questions Jun 16, 2005
Hello Dubai Forum

I joined in early June and arived in Dubai yesterday (15 June). I am staying in a work provided guest house and started lookin ghte Gulf News for rental accommodation. My wife is heading over in July and we will be bringing our 2 small dogs over from Australia, so we would like a private backyard. Would appreciate if you could advise me on the following please:

1. I read in the Dubai Explorer that rents are subject to various additional costs ie; 5% Real Estate commission, 5% Government commission, 5% for something else, plus maintenance costs on top of rental costs. Is this the norm?

2. Obviously the area (suburb) determines the rental cost. It seems that to stay in Jumeria or Umm Sequim in a villa the price starts at around Dhms 140,000. Is this about right and are these areas close to amenities ie; shops, malls, etc. Are these areas already built-up?

3. What are areas such as; The Green, Meadows, The Springs, Mirdif like? Are they close to facilities and how far are they from the city? Is traffic a problem with any of these areas.

4. We are also considering shipping over our furniture, but we are not 100% certain about this - it is only day 1. It is just when you look at storing it in Sydney for 3-5 years, it is almost cheaper to ship it over than pay sstorage costs. I walked through IKEA and some other stores yesterday and furniture seems pretty cheap.

5. Any tips or comments about brining dogs into Dubai? Is there any problem getting accommodation with small dogs? Any particular issues or concerns? They have received all the necessary shots ie; rabies vaccination etc. to prepare them for the export from Australia.

6. Banking - Are any banks better than others? Is there any banks that make it easier or cheaper to transfer money into Australian bank accounts ie; to pay mortgages etc. Some people have mentioned off-shore bank accounts - not sure about this and the advantages.

I realise the questions are pretty broad ranging, but I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. First day at work tomorrow, so I am sure I will pick up some addiitional tips talking with fellow work colleagues.

Thanks

Andrew (day 1 in Dubai) - 30 degrees at 5.30am (hot)

Andrew Robertson
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

concerns shared Jun 23, 2005
DEAR,

I LL BE MOVING SOON TO DXB AND SHARE YOUR CONCERNS. I AM THINKING ABOUT BRINGING MY DOG AND WILL HAVE TO FIND A SUITABLE ACCOMODATION FOR MYSELF, AM 31 Y ITALIAN LEBANESE.
I LL BE JOINING THERE AS FROM THE BEGINNING OF JULY.
CAN WE KEEP IN TOUCH, AM AVAILABLE ALSO ON MSN MESSENGER MY ADRESS IS luciacyrano@hotmail.com
regards
luca
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 25, 2005
Hey Peeps,

Ok then I can tell you about this as I brought both my dog and cat over from the UK. They require all their vaccinations and you have to get your export and import licences from your country and from the ministry here.

I have to say I flew Emirates and their Sky cargo people were fantastic with the animals, you need to book them on the flight as cargo well in advance as airlines will only travel one set of animals at a time. When you get them here you must take their records to the vet and get their rabies disc.

The only thing I really hated was picking the animals up this end, it was like a freak show, all the Indian dudes at the cargo terminal crowd around to see what's in the crate and totally freaked my dog out.

If you're in need of major help contact Dubai Kennels, they can pretty much arrange everything for you.

With regard to accomodation, most apartments won't let you keep pets. But obviously you're looking for a villa for your dogs. I live in Mirdiff and we have a back yard and it's not far from the desert for walks which is great, we currently pay 70,000 Dhs for a 3 bed, 3 storey older style villa.

Oh you can easily avoid real estate fees by driving around the area you live in and look for to let signs and deal direct with the landlord.

Just be aware that many locals do not like dogs, but I've never had any problems, so long as you keep them under control you'll be fine and my pets have adjusted very well at the moment they just slob around in doors and refuse to go out in the heat - lazy, pampered pets.

With regard to bank accounts, I still keep UK banks accounts and offshore accounts, but obviously exchange rates are terrible for sending cash back right now. I bank with HSBC here as I can do everything online, I never go to the bank, everything is done through the net or over the phone and you can get everything.

Phew anything else don't hesitate to ask.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Other accom areas Jun 26, 2005
Price is pretty much right on Jumeira. I live at the Springs as it is affordable. Traffic is not bad at all, especially if you are going towards town in the morning and away in the evening.
KC
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai