Moving From Dubai To Singapore ....Need Advice

Topic locked
Moving from Dubai to Singapore ....Need Advice Jan 20, 2009
Hey guys...I am an IT manager in an MNC based in Dubai ..Single Indian male in late 20's making 32K AED per month( this includes accomodataion , transportation and other allowances)...Few days back I got an Offer from AT&T for their corporate office based in Singapore ...They have offered me S$12,000 ( Including accomodation, transportation ) + medical benefits and Return economy ticket with year end bonus.. I know that AT&T is an Enterprise Level Service provider with HQ in US and Branches across the Globe and is well know Fortune 500 company. I am puzzled regarding this offer as I am not aware of living cost in Singapore.. Also as compared to my compensation in Dubai , am I offered a Fair Package..
Any inputs from u Guru's would be highly appreciated..

Spark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 20, 2009
been to singapore a couple of time, but don't know much about living there. cost of living is high though from what i have read - probably higher than dubai (accom.)

i do know that annual leave entitlements are much lower 21 days odd per year, not the normal 30 you may get now
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 20, 2009
i also believe there is a local tax implication
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jan 20, 2009
Thanx for ur response dbxsoul.. I heard that taxation wud be nearly 16% for this bracket.. May i request for more feedback from other forum members , if someone has lived in Singapore and also has an idea about the average living cost as compared to dxb
Spark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 20, 2009
I thinks S$12K / month is a decent/good package for a single guy.

SG has gone in to deep recession. So the real estate / rentals have dropped by 20-25%. You should be able to afford a nice apartment with all the facilites for 2-3k depending upon where do you decide to work..

Food is amazing and reasonable priced esp. in the food courts and with a wide variety.. malay/indian/western/indonesian..

People are nice.. Nicer than Dubai.. more down to earth and friendly..

Very good public transport.. You will never be beyond 500mtrs from any MRT station..

Its costly to buy and maintain a car though..

I've stayed in SG and loved every moment of it.. as I'm a foodie.

It gets a bit monotonous life in SG, but if you have a good friend circle, its nice place to stay..

Hope this helps..
xdude
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 21, 2009
Thanx for the valuable input xdude... these are of immense help.
AT&T office is Located in Science Park ( I believe its the IT Hub of Singapore Like Internet City in Dxb) .. I am definately lured by the culture and atmosphere of Singapore and want to give it a try however my next concern is weather changing Job during this credit crisis wud be a wise decision...I believe Singapore is badly hit by ongoing recession . I heard that their economy will be adversely affected after Chinese New year when majour banks and other Big Guns will calculate their Balance sheets ... Singapore Forex has already started showing negative growth and not to forget that they were the first Asian country where impact of recession was felt.
Spark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 21, 2009
The cost of living is high for some things, but low for others.

Alcohol is expensive, and eating in some of the restaurants (esp non-Asian food) is expensive. Our local Italian eatery (La Forketta) charges $22 SGD per pizza! Eating out at hawker centres is cheap and convenient, especially if you are a single guy who doesn't like to cook. You can eat a whole meal for $3.50-$6.00, plus add a drink to that or just bring your own. If you do your grocery shopping at FairPrice you can save more money than shopping at Cold Storage - a bit like the difference between shopping at the co-ops in Dubai vs. Spinneys.

It is much easier to enjoy nature year round here, unlike Dubai. There are lots of outdoor activities that you can do for free, like hiking at MacRitchie Reservoir, or cycling/rollerblading at the East Coast park. Singapore is so close to other great places to visit, like KL, Phuket, Bali etc, that you can plan inexpensive vacations to neighbouring countries if you feel that Singapore is getting too small for you.

I'm not single and haven't been out for any nightlife here yet, so can't tell you much about that scene or how easy it is to make friends or find a girlfriend etc.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks Kanelli..
Seems that though there is no major increase in the offered compensation however Singapore definately holds an upper egde cause of its life Style. Also i checked Singapore in Google Map and realised that its very green and the island is surrounded by some awesome beaches. Surely the fact that neighbouring contry Malaysia, a Hot tourist destination , is just few hours drive from Singapore is tempting enough to grab the offer ..But my majour concern is that SGP economy is adversely affected and maybe this is not the right time to swicth Job...
I did a lill research through their Local newspaper 'The Straight Times" and found that many people have become Jobless and the scenario is getting worse by each passing day...
Spark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 21, 2009
Spark, it is definitely something you need to consider. Are you dealing with anyone directly at the company? Can you ask what the situation is and whether they can guarantee that you won't be made redundant soon after taking up the position? e.g. for at least a 12 month period?

My husband's company has let go of 60 so far (informed before Christmas), but now there is talk of some more restructuring that might result in more layoffs and transferring people out of the Singapore office.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Moving From Dubai To Singapore ....Need Advice Dec 09, 2010
Very good know
radom
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving from Dubai to Singapore ....Need Advice Dec 28, 2010
Singapore is the best country I worked at (as an expat)
jerichos
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Moving From Dubai To Singapore ....Need Advice Dec 29, 2010
We're definitely enjoying it compared to Dubai. Am off to the amazing zoo this morning with my kiddies!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Moving from Dubai to Singapore ....Need Advice Jan 06, 2011
One thing to think about is do you want to go back to India at some point.

If you'd like to move back then why not stay in Dubai as the tax is low, you're already here with connections and the Gulf is about to boom again. If you don't want to go back to india one day then singapore is a great place to live, bring up a family and retire.

Good luck
jobs123
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai