Muhammad - War Is Deceipt

Topic locked
Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 16, 2010
Repeating yourself won't change the fact you haven't got anything new to add to your spin and selective quotes.

When you have something new, perhaps I can add something to this conversation - otherwise, the quotes and references are there for everyone to read and make up their own minds.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Excellent- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say!

I couldn't have said it better myself...

:)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Cool - in the mean time, care to post Ibn Ishaq's account of the massacre and compare this to your author's version of events?

Does Ibn Ishaq say the Jewish men were a) armed, b) soldiers and c) attacked the Muslims?
event horizon

Please refer back to my comments about selective quotes and inability to address the fuller account I've given.

Ishaq doesn't spin the story as a bunch of unarmed diplomats, that's your imagination running overtime. Ishaq also does not say they were a. unarmed, b. not soldiers and c. did not attack the muslims first. (And in any case, you haven't actually quoted Ishaq here - but if you have, you can perhaps re-post)

As I said in my previous few posts, I'll happily revisit this once you have any new evidence to support your spin.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

'Inability to address'? I take it you're now regurgitating lines rather than reading actual posts.

I've already addressed two aspects of your author's account. If you've bothered to follow rule number one, you would have been forced to address both of them by now.

But here they are, once more:

1) Why did your author not mention that the men Muhammad sent and later congratulated for a 'job well done' were killers?

2) From which primary source did your author use when he claimed the Jewish men Muhammad's soldiers assassinated were a) armed, b) soldiers and c) attacked the Muslims?

that's your imagination running overtime.

Thank you for confirming that Ishaq's account does not support your author's claims that the Jewish men were armed, soldiers and attacked the Muslims.

:wink:
event horizon

Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 17, 2010
I'm glad you read my post.

Let's review what actually has been posted in this thread.

You post a brief extract from Richard Gabriel's book 'Islam's first General', I posted a longer and fuller extract from Sir MZ Khan's book, 'Muhammad, Seal of the Prophets'.

In the first Gabriel says the soldiers sent by Muhammad, pbuh, are 'killers'. He does not say that Uzair/Yusayr/Aseer/Basheer bin Razam/Razim (same person, just different spellings in different accounts) was not a military commander or that his entourage were not soldiers - i.e. he does not contradict the longer account in Khan's book.

You've ever since blustered and blubbed about providing references - but I gave you a fuller reference than you did (you didn't bother to name the author in your post, or give a link - but it is easy enough to find on Google books).

Gabriel doesn't call Usayr an 'unarmed diplomat' - that's your spin. (Although, I suspect you've just copied this from an I-spy-book-of-Orientalism website ;) )

Therefore, by my reckoning I've more than matched (if not exceeded) the standards you've practiced and have repeatedly invited you to provide some new evidence. Thus far we only have your quote from Gabriel's book.

Over to you, mon ami.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Gabriel doesn't call Usayr an 'unarmed diplomat' - that's your spin. (Although, I suspect you've just copied this from an I-spy-book-of-Orientalism website

Actually, if you recall, I got that from Montgomery Watt.

Now, the question is, where did your author get his facts from? And if he actually got them from a primary source, should they be viewed as suspect since neither Tabari nor Ibn Ishaq mention that the Jews were armed, soldiers and attacked the Muslims.

Therefore, by my reckoning I've more than matched (if not exceeded) the standards you've practiced and have repeatedly invited you to provide some new evidence.

We'll see about that. Why don't you first answer my question to see how accurate your 'fuller' account is in the first place? After all, no where does your author mention the *fact* that the men Muhammad hand picked were killers - but other historians are careful enough to point this fact out.

Was this spin on your author's part, or just poor research?
event horizon

So, the fact remains - you have only quoted Richard Gabriel from his book 'Isam's first General' and haven't actually provided any quote (from a primary source or even another historian) that contradicts the fuller account I have posted.

What's the matter eh - you're usually quite quick to cut and paste references and quotes. I'm satisfied that the fuller account exposes your personal spin for what it is (and perhaps corrects Watt's interpretation as well), so it is up to you to show why Khan's fuller account is actually wrong.

I understand you want to believe it is wrong. But you'll excuse me if I ask you for more than a quote from Gabriel.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Actually, I have already posted Tabari, Watt and Rodinson before - not one of these historians claim that the Jews were armed, soldiers, and attacked the Muslims.

Watt and Rodinson are both clear - the men Muhammad handpicked for this diplomatic journey were killers.

Why did your author not mention this?

(and when will you provide a primary source stating that the Jewish men were armed, etc?)
event horizon

Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 18, 2010
You have only quoted Gabriel in this thread.

If you have primary sources or quotes from other historians, please post them here and show how they contradict or are more detailed that the description I've posted. The soldiers picked to accompany the military commander were indeed good at their jobs (they were experienced soldiers, after all) - when have I disputed this fact. It actually shows good judgement on the Prophet's part to send competent soldiers to escord Usayr and the soldiers under his command.

What you are spinning is the attempt to label one group of soldiers as 'killers' or 'assassins' and the other group as 'unarmed diplomats'. Let's see what the primary sources actually say and compare Gabriel's short account with Khan's fuller account. I don't have any doubts over Khan's account - it just contains more info than the accounts you've pasted and exposes your spin on the event.

To be honest, unless I check out the claims or even quotes you post/paste, I reserve judgement - because you have a track record of actually changing quotes, let alone selectively spinning accounts.

Why don't you let the quotes speak for themselves - let's see the primary sources you keep going on about and check whether Gabriel's short account or Khan's fuller account is more accurate.

Over to you - put up or ....

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 19, 2010
Is your old age catching up to you?

I already posted the quotes from Watt and Tabari previously - that was when you also posted Ishaq's account as well.

Now, the question still remains (amongst others), why did your 'fuller' account not mention the fact that the men Muhammad hand picked for this 'diplomatic' mission were killers?
event horizon

You haven't posted any quotes in this thread - only Gabriels short extract.

AMNT - again?

Simple request - please provide any evidence that Khan's fuller report is contradicted by any primary source.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Please provide any evidence that Gabriel's report is contradicted by any primary source.

Oh, and have you come around to answering my question of why Khan did not mention the fact that the men Muhammad hand picked were killers?

That seems like an important detail to leave out. Do you agree with me that this is an example of 'spin'?
event horizon

Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 20, 2010
So, no new evidence.

I responded to Gabriel's short quote with a longer, fuller quotation. My work is done - as I've exposed that your belief is based on a selective reading of history.

Your job is to show why you want us to believe Gabriel's shorter account. So far, we have only got your 'beliefs' - I have been referring to the full quote I posted. I've asked you to present any evidence that shows Khan's full report is contradicted by any primary sources. You've failed.

AMNT, again.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Muhammad - war is deceipt Feb 20, 2010
I responded to Gabriel's short quote with a longer, fuller quotation. My work is done - as I've exposed that your belief is based on a selective reading of history.

So? There is no rule that a longer quote means that it is more accurate. I've asked you several times to find a primary source that says the Jews were armed, soldiers and attacked the Muslims - since no modern historian, such as Watt or Rodinson, have said this.

Further, I've already brought up the spin in your 'fuller' account by pointing out that your apologetic author does not mention the fact that the men Muhammad had hand picked were killers.

So, we've already established that your account contains spin and the rest of your author's analysis and version of events should be viewed with caution.
event horizon

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums