Bomb-scare Drunk On Emirates Flight Made Racist Remarks

Topic locked
Bomb-scare drunk on Emirates flight made racist remarks Jul 16, 2008
Dubai: A witness has said that the drunk British man who made a hoax bomb threat on an Emirates flight, made racist slurs and tried to assault fellow passengers.

According to S.K. - a fellow British passenger, the drunk man shouted abusive racist swearing at a Chinese family and threatened their safety.

Punches

Gulf News reported the incident, which occurred aboard the EK20 flight from Manchester to Dubai last week. The man was taken into custody for questioning, police said.

"He attempted to throw two or three punches at the Chinese family before being restrained. He then broke free and managed to throw around seven or eight punches at the Chinese family. He was restrained again and the situation was calmed for 20 minutes, "S.K. said.

According to the witness, the drunk man stood up and blamed the Chinese family for the reason that they were being held on the aircraft - which was for around one hour.

S.K. said: "Several passengers told him to sit down and be quiet, and he then shouted more racist language at an Indian passenger.

"The whole incident left me embarrassed to be English," he said.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10229140.html

The funny part he was not described as a terrorist, or at least a terrorist act because he is not a muslim

uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 17, 2008
Its hypocritical to not mention the criminal as terrorist.

Its funny gulfnews, an Emirati newspaper didnt do it on their own. Whats stopping them from mentionning this man as terrorist?
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jul 17, 2008
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Its hypocritical to not mention the criminal as terrorist.

Its funny gulfnews, an Emirati newspaper didnt do it on their own. Whats stopping them from mentionning this man as terrorist?

Dictionary definition or terrorist
1. One who governs by terrorism or intimidation; specifically, an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.
2. a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

Since the passenger is probably not a member of a radical cell and I doubt he was trying to govern over anybody the word you are probably looking for was idiot

1. A man in private station, as distinguished from one holding a public office.
2. An unlearned, ignorant, or simple person, as distinguished from the educated; an ignoramus.
3. A human being destitute of the ordinary intellectual powers, whether congenital, developmental, or accidental; commonly, a person without understanding from birth; a natural fool; a natural; an innocent.
4. A fool; a simpleton; -- a term of reproach.
5. a person of subnormal intelligence

Stop trying to claim discrimination every time you come across something that doesn't sit with your own personal small mindedness
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 17, 2008
Plus this story is about a month old already. The guy was just a p***ed up Manc with a chip on his shoulder.

What he did was stupid. Isn't the first time tough and certainly won't be the last.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 17, 2008
It is idiots like this what will evetually stop the consumption of alcohol on flights and spoil it for the rest of us.. :x
W & C
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008
Well to be honest it wouldn't be a bad thing. People forget that one drink in the air is like having two on the ground, it has a greater affect on you and goes to your head really quickly.

Why do people find it necessary to drink on flights? Is it because you don't have to pay for it?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 17, 2008
i think people drink on flights because they can. The fact that it's free helps.
The airline lounges are just as bad, ply you full of free booze prior to take off. To be honest, rather than ban booze on the flights, ban it from the lounges first.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 17, 2008
And sitting next to a drunk person and smelling their alcohol-tainted body odor and breath can be very uncomfortable you know.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Jul 17, 2008
I normally only have a couple of drinks to relax me as I'm a nervous flyer. Then I just sleep.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 18, 2008
CVB wrote:
muslimbangladeshi wrote:Its hypocritical to not mention the criminal as terrorist.

Dictionary definition or terrorist
1. One who governs by terrorism or intimidation; specifically, an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.
2. a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

the dictionary in question is? how come they inserted religion into this definition when its absolutely unnecessary? maybe theres a hint you failed to pick up that the TS provided?

Since the passenger is probably not a member of a radical cell and I doubt he was trying to govern over anybody the word you are probably looking for was idiot

1. A man in private station, as distinguished from one holding a public office.
2. An unlearned, ignorant, or simple person, as distinguished from the educated; an ignoramus.
3. A human being destitute of the ordinary intellectual powers, whether congenital, developmental, or accidental; commonly, a person without understanding from birth; a natural fool; a natural; an innocent.
4. A fool; a simpleton; -- a term of reproach.
5. a person of subnormal intelligence

How do you know what his affiliations are?

Stop trying to claim discrimination every time you come across something that doesn't sit with your own personal small mindedness

Stop trying to read "discrimination" every time you come across something that doesn't sit (well) with your own personal small mindedness. I didnt start the thread, TS made a good point and I agree with him. The criminal shouldve been described as terrorist and he was causing trouble in an airline. He couldve been shot in certain parts of the world.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jul 18, 2008
I still fail to see your reasoning as to why the drunk should be described as a terrorist.
You have a chip on your shoulder because muslims get described as terrorists and you want to see somebody else tarred with the same brush.

In certain countries he would have been shot ???

Name them please. I don't think there are many countries where somebody would fire a gun in a packed passenger plane.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 19, 2008
Was he BRITISH?????
aliwrites
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 19, 2008
He's just a drunk guy on a plane, making a stupid threat. This does not fit the definition of a terrorist, so no, the term is not warranted. This would only be so, if he had something to gain by making the threat and it was genuine, but it was not.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 19, 2008
aliwrites wrote:Was he BRITISH?????

Does it matter :roll:
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 20, 2008
Regardless of his condition, citizenship and the airline, he should've been charged with disturbance of some kind though, don't you agree?

I mean but your self in one of the passengers seat, wouldn't you shit on your self when something like this happen and you are 1000s of feet from the ground, shit I'll be crying like a new born baby.

I think what they are trying to say is that if he were a Muslim or an Arab of some nature, you will see everyone making a huge thing about it and will be charged with a 1000s of crimes but since he is British like chocoholic said ( he is just drunk) !

AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION-(C)1997-2002 M2 COMMUNICATIONS LTD
A Singapore Airlines passenger has been fined and sentenced to prison after he got drunk on board a flight.
The 41-year-old man - who was traveling from Paris, France to Calcutta, India, via Singapore on 16 March 2002 - became disruptive after consuming numerous martinis. Flight attendants ceased serving him alcohol, at which point he reportedly began complaining and talking nonsense. Shortly before the aircraft landed in Singapore, the man became enraged and punched a television display.
Police removed the man from the aircraft when the flight landed. He has been fined USD549 and sentenced to three weeks imprisonment. The man also has to pay Singapore Airlines USD2,582 to fix the television screen, according to The Associated Press.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... smoke.html

http://consumerist.com/357463/drunk-pas ... lines-7757

he should've been sentenced to jail time for threatening passengers safety not being terrorist but I would blame it on the flight attendance for serving him this much.
firefingersx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 20, 2008
firefingersx wrote:I think what they are trying to say is that if he were a Muslim or an Arab of some nature, you will see everyone making a huge thing about it and will be charged with a 1000s of crimes but since he is British like chocoholic said ( he is just drunk) !

But if he had been Muslim he wouldn't have been drunk.

There's no denying that certain sections of the British media like to over exaggerate certain issues, but these are generally the red tops that cater for the, hmmm, how to put it, less educated members of society.
The types of people who prefer to believe in stereotypes, xenophobia and the Loch Ness Monster.

Certain posters appear to display the same traits on here, but from an Arab/Muslim perspective by casting wild assumptions about how possibly a member of a different society would be treated given a hypothetical situation.
If people are going to start claiming discrimination and unfair treatment against one section of society then I'd rather it was followed up with some hard and fast facts.

Oh, and by the way, does anybody know that this Brit was released without charge and told to behave himself next time, or does he actually have a trial pending for this incident ?
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 20, 2008
OK, can we at least get some facts right here first!

FF, the plane was on the ground at the time, passengers were waiting to get off the aircraft and he got angry because the process was being delayed.

C, 'If he was Muslim he wouldn't have been drunk' - PLEASE!!!! A lot of Muslims drink! As soon as they get on aircraft out of here, the national dress comes off and they're downing the booze, heck you see guys in Dish dash in bars here with a pint.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 20, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:C, 'If he was Muslim he wouldn't have been drunk' - PLEASE!!!! A lot of Muslims drink! As soon as they get on aircraft out of here, the national dress comes off and they're downing the booze, heck you see guys in Dish dash in bars here with a pint.

I know, I was just stirring it a bit :wink:

It is something that is getting more common place these days as well.
I can think of a dozen places in Abu Dhabi off the top of my head where I've been sitting beside blokes in dish dashes happily drinking alcohol - but that's for a whole different debate which I'm sure won't be too far away.
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 21, 2008
CVB wrote:I still fail to see your reasoning as to why the drunk should be described as a terrorist.
You have a chip on your shoulder because muslims get described as terrorists and you want to see somebody else tarred with the same brush.

Now youre taking this to the personal level - personal insults, accusations and such without knowing much about me in first place.

You've lost the argument right here mate

In certain countries he would have been shot ???

Name them please. I don't think there are many countries where somebody would fire a gun in a packed passenger plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2590309.stm

And an independent security expert said crucially, their guns would be made especially for use inside a plane.

"The type of weaponry and the calibre of ammunition used is designed not to penetrate the skin of the aircraft, but to actually deal with a human target," said Mike Bluestone, head of BSB Group security consultants.
muslimbangladeshi
Dubai chat master

Jul 21, 2008
I don't see a reason neither to call the guy a terrorists, but if you chocoholic and CVB are looking for facts and reasoning , how come 1000s of Muslims and Arabs were sent to jail for over a year and then released with no charges since the 9/11? Just for the fact they were from a cretin family name as someone who is wanted ? or the fact that he is living in cretin village ? and you are asking us to think logically and be reasonable ?

But according to the western world logic, yes he should've been charged or at least got the same treat of those who were taking away from their families and countries for a year in jail and then released with no charges ! the UK supported the United state in this issue , didn't they ?

Practice what you preach people.

Chocoholic, for your security analysis to the situation that the plan was on the ground , does not make him less dangerous to the passengers and the airport it self . and don't make me start talking about bombs rang 

I'm sure the poor guy is just a drunken passenger who mint no harm but again for disturbing and causing panic to others and threaten women and children, yes he is a terrorist on a small scale .

Please do not defend anyone careless & irresponsible act in anyway , you might somehow engorge others to be or do so .
firefingersx
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 21, 2008
Oh don't start me on the whole 9/11 thing, which is a load of BS anyway, FF I'll agree with you on that.

I'm certainly not defending anyone who would make such a stupid threat as this guy did, and I fail to see why everyone is arguing over the use of a word, which in this case is irrelevant.

You seem to think that the whole terrorist thing is new, not so, please bear in mind that we have dealt with terrorists in the UK for decades on end, thanks to the IRA and other factions.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 21, 2008
I also agree on both of you, but I think best solution on this issue, is to stop the "Airline Companies" from serving liquor and alcoholic drinks on board in order to avoid this kind of situations.

:!: But talking about "BOMBS" even if it's a joke? Then I guess, it's not tolerable.
SicnarFranciS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 22, 2008
SicnarFranciS wrote:I also agree on both of you, but I think best solution on this issue, is to stop the "Airline Companies" from serving liquor and alcoholic drinks on board.

I do hope you're not including Business Class my good man. By all means, stop the riff-raff from causing a scene but let's not think we're achieving anything by denying me my Californian Merlot!
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 22, 2008
Sorry. Don't agree at all with the booze banning proposal. Why the hell should I have to suffer because of some ignorant, Big Brother watchin, Sun reading, shaven-haired, City-supporting [ :wink: :lol: ], google-*ssed, benshermanshirt wearing thug ?

I hope the Chinese family got his face on a photo and his butt will be well and truely fried the next time he's in city centre Chinatown !

......ok....... calm now.

I've heard this argument many times about booze on planes. I, for one, love drinking on planes. I'm not a happy bunny when flying and a coupla vinos make me smile and fall asleep. Without smelling too much, I hasten to add :wink:

Isn't it all about personal choice and the consequences of your actions ? If the fella is drunk and abusive, he SHOLD be jailed. Period. But I can hardly stretch that argument to he-was-a-terrorist-and-should-be-shot !

BTW, for all those who witnessed a VERY chemically inconvenienced g00se this week on one of the flights back here, you will confirm that I was rather more smiley than usual !!!!!!! No fighting. No abuse. Just snorey [and I even apologised to my fellow passenger - much to his hilarity].
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat