What Certification Is Required To B A Teacher In A Good Schl

Topic locked
What certification is required to b a teacher in a good schl Apr 22, 2010
Hi, I am an Electronics and communication engineer by qualification,but never got a chance to start my career as an engineer as I was on the family way as soon as I finished my education, but now since both my kids have started going to school, I am planning to start my career,but not as an engineer but as a teacher, the idea of leaving kids at baby care centre freaks me out, so I have come to the conclusion that for ppl like me who would like to work as well as spend time with kids and family a teachers job would be the best, but now the question is what are the courses/certification I need to do so that I land a job in a good institution, i.e, If I do teaching courses affiliated to UK or US universities, will it hold the same importance I mean I read it somewhere...
.......The UK teaching qualification is called a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE), and as far as we know, can only be studied in the UK to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). There are international PGCE courses available (or PGCEi) in Dubai but they do not have the same status as a UK based PGCE, and might or might not give you Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) status but won't give you QTS status. Check carefully before enrolling on an international PGCE program to confirm if it will be accepted in schools were you wish to teach. See the Nottingham University distance learning PGCEi and Sunderland University distance learning PGCE for more information.

so what do you say?
please people who are in the academic field who know anything related to my question please do reply ,and give in the inputs.
your inputs will be highly appreciated
thank you

sameeha
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: What certification is required to b a teacher in a good May 01, 2010
sameeha wrote:Hi, I am an Electronics and communication engineer by qualification,but never got a chance to start my career as an engineer as I was on the family way as soon as I finished my education, but now since both my kids have started going to school, I am planning to start my career,but not as an engineer but as a teacher, the idea of leaving kids at baby care centre freaks me out, so I have come to the conclusion that for ppl like me who would like to work as well as spend time with kids and family a teachers job would be the best, but now the question is what are the courses/certification I need to do so that I land a job in a good institution, i.e, If I do teaching courses affiliated to UK or US universities, will it hold the same importance I mean I read it somewhere...
.......The UK teaching qualification is called a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE), and as far as we know, can only be studied in the UK to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). There are international PGCE courses available (or PGCEi) in Dubai but they do not have the same status as a UK based PGCE, and might or might not give you Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) status but won't give you QTS status. Check carefully before enrolling on an international PGCE program to confirm if it will be accepted in schools were you wish to teach. See the Nottingham University distance learning PGCEi and Sunderland University distance learning PGCE for more information.

so what do you say?
please people who are in the academic field who know anything related to my question please do reply ,and give in the inputs.
your inputs will be highly appreciated
thank you

To teach in a good US curriculum school you'd need US teacher qualification and certification.
To teach in a good UK curriculum school you'd need UK credentials.
Bad schools are more flexible with what qualifications are needed, you'd have to check with the school.
That info about PGCEs (a UK qualification) is related to the two institutes that offer PGCE diplomas in the UAE, both of which migh be accepted at some international schools, but neither at the top UK schools.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/teaching-in-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/university-of- ... d-pgce.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/nottingham-uni ... i-pgce.php
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai