Did you find this posting useful?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 144

May 22, 2009
southwestfive wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been working as hotel porter in London for 2 years now.The company I work for will open their new hotel in Dubai in the next year,therefore I'm seriously considering to move to Dubai but I dont know much about Emirates in terms of wages or cost of living.Someone told me dont even try unless they offer you 10.000AED per month.The only thing I know that apartments are expensive but food,public transport etc. are fairly cheap compare to London.
Please if anyone could help me what to do I would be really thankful.

as a hotel porter you could not expect to earn anywhere near 10k per month! you would have to set your sites on a position well above that - middle to upper hotel management to get that kind of salary.

check what benefits your company will offer that may help offset expenses - rent free accomodation etc...

you need to get all the facts before you can evaluate your offer

dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 03, 2009
Hi

I am new to this forum, I am considering looking for a job in dubai, currently leaving in the UK . I have 2 years software testing experience, but I have generally noticed that most jobs are around oil plants and construction in dubai. Any Ideas where to be looking, or what the demand is for software testing?

Many Thanks
humble09
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jun 27, 2009
humble09 wrote:Hi

I am new to this forum, I am considering looking for a job in dubai, currently leaving in the UK . I have 2 years software testing experience, but I have generally noticed that most jobs are around oil plants and construction in dubai. Any Ideas where to be looking, or what the demand is for software testing?

Many Thanks

Humble
comapring with other sector Dubai is not strong in software development side, look out the job portals in dubai and see this type of positon is advertised, as a recruitment consultant i can say that isoftware testing is not a demanding job in dubai
good luck
Merlindxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2009
We cannot deny the Recruitment agencies role in hiring process in UAE. Most of the companies work with recruitment agencies to get the right talent
Updated list of Recruitment agencies in UAE- June 2009
Merlindxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2009
Hope this site will help you for your jobhunting in UAE
list of Recruitment agencies in UAE, Sample CVS, Cover letters, Interview advice,Labour law

Merlin
Dubai
Merlindxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009
Hi, I really need some clarification. I work for a small company who will do anything to make things difficult for you. They provided me with a visa under the condition that I work for them for two years, if i don't finish my contract I am required to pay for my labour card/visa fees. I cannot afford to pay them (they will ask me for something between 4,000 - 8,000).
If I give them one month's notice, they will just withold my salary and state it's what I owe them. So i'm just going to tell work (just after the next payday) that I need to go home. I will give them my labour card and then fly back to the UK. I have absolutely no debts or ties so i'm not worried about anything other than work. I know I will get a labour ban but I'm just scared they can find a way of banning me from the UAE for not paying back these visa costs, can they? I am also worried that i will have a problem when I come back to Dubai at the end of December for a visit. Please help me!!! Thanks
RachSmith
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 04, 2009
I am looking for positions in Dubai but have found that agencies require me to pay a fee before they will put me forward for a vacancy. Is this the norm in UAE?

Thanks
thinkingaboutdubai
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 07, 2009
thinkingaboutdubai wrote:I am looking for positions in Dubai but have found that agencies require me to pay a fee before they will put me forward for a vacancy. Is this the norm in UAE?

Thanks

nope it's illegal I think
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Relocation to Dubai Aug 07, 2009
Hi

Does anyone know if companies in Dubai are still willing to pay for relocation fees and visas? I know with the recession everyone is trying to avoid costs, but was just wondering if it is still possible.

I am living in South Africa and looking for work in events.

Thanks
cathbrewis
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 20, 2009
I am planning to work in Dubai, but i am uncertain becoz these would be my first time, i am registered safety officer from the Philippines i am also experience massage therapist and a mathematics teacher. please help me look for a job.
bhonie
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Relocation to Dubai Aug 31, 2009
cathbrewis wrote:Hi

Does anyone know if companies in Dubai are still willing to pay for relocation fees and visas? I know with the recession everyone is trying to avoid costs, but was just wondering if it is still possible.

I am living in South Africa and looking for work in events.

Thanks

employers are laible for visa and labour costs. depends what you mean by relocation.. a container or a few boxes of items? if its household goods, it cheaper to either leave them behind or sell them and replace them in dubai (much cheaper than SA). or do you mean airline tickets??

transport to and from the uae (either goods or personal tickets) is really a matter of negotiation between yourself and your employer. if they say yes, ensure that you get it it writing, as well as any conditions that they may attach to the agreement - most will make a few concessions, but normally on condition that you work out the full contract period, else you will be liable for a pro-rate refund to them for expenses incured. keep reciepts that you collect.
if you have agreed with the company that they will pay your airfare out to the UAE, let them pay for the ticket as it is cheaper to pay for it from Dubai
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 08, 2009
Hello Everybody,

i´m a car seller in germany, working at an audistore. I´m looking for a job in an audi store in dubai ore emirates at all. Are there any usefull contacts ore even some taps ? i try to prepare myself by learning business-english and learning about cultural differences... Whatabout my aplication !? any special things employers look for ?
audi007
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

hosbitality in dubai ! Sep 11, 2009
hi i wish go to dubai with my husband to work, but i don't khnow if is possible to obtain hosbitality in the same home ???
wejden 16
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Oct 01, 2009
Hi all,
I m 24 year old indian girl.i have done MBA in Marketing nd onli have 6 month of experience. i have also completed icwa inter. i wanted to work in dubai. is it safe for a girl to work there without husband or father living there? Nd hows work culture in dubai for girls.
Samaira1985
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 25, 2010
Hi dbxsoul, Thank you very much for this very useful tips..

i'm a 33 year old filipino, even at my age is there any chance that i can get a job in dubai?

and beside that, i have no college degree, im just a High school graduate and i just take a 3 months (computer) course in a technical school here in the philippines... with my educational attainment, what kind of job i can apply for? what are my chances?

i work as a warehouseman for two years here, and after that i was promoted as a Warehouse Supervisor (5 years) here in our company. so, i have a 7 years working experienced in Warehousing.

Thank you very much, i hope you can help me with my question...
supermariobrothers
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 25, 2010
Hi there,
As for age, yes. Employable age is up to 60 and could be extended after that under certain conditions.
As for qualification, that is a little more difficult and to be quite honest they normally require Filipino employees to have a university qualification, unless of course you are being employed as an unskilled labourer. Herein lies the answer; an employer could actually employ you as an "unskilled labourer" on paper, but utilise you in a different vocation.

What I would do it to firstly have your highest school qualifiactions as well as your computer course qualification attested at the UAE consulate - think it is in Manilla.
Secondly get written refernce letters from your current (and past) employers. These carry no real weight with any of the Labour issues, but could help to sway a potential employer.

Join and look through as many on-line sites as possible; see what positions are on offer and what the minimum requirements are.

Try this one - it is the classified section form the Gulf News, it normally has current jobs as well as some indication of requirements and salaries - it also can provide leads/ details for some local emplyment agents.

http://www.gnads4u.com/search.html?t=jo ... =warehouse
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 26, 2010
Thank you very much sir... you are very helpful here in the forum.

i have check the site that you gave me, i see that most of the jobs didn't indicate the salary instead "salary not found" do you have any idea how much is that?
supermariobrothers
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 26, 2010
supermariobrothers wrote:Thank you very much sir... you are very helpful here in the forum.

i have check the site that you gave me, i see that most of the jobs didn't indicate the salary instead "salary not found" do you have any idea how much is that?

hi there,

where there is no salary indicated it means that the employer has not provided any salary guidelines - in instances such as this they will want to "haggle" over the salary - normally offering a lower than market-related salary. It will be up to you to try and "haggle" the package/ salary upwards. ask for more than you actually want.

for example if you really want 1,000 ask for 1,500. the employer will say... no it is far to high what about 1,250 or 1,000 - this way you basically get what you want.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 27, 2010
Thanks dbxsoul...

basically, what is the minimum salary of "unskilled labourer" in dubai?

im thinking of enrolling a short term course here, in some of the training center to get a certificate. do you think having that could help me to get a better chance of being hired in dubai?
supermariobrothers
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 27, 2010
Hi, as I mentioned much of the UAE and the Gulf (government) runs along the assumption that a piece of paper from a university equates to a good employee - when in most cases a good grounding and experience makes a good employee. if you are planning on doing a short course make sure that the course is internationally acredited - if it is not then the qualification is not worth anything.

I have in fact worked with people labouring under the impression that they had serious educations and credentials because they had a 4 or 5 year university degree - infact the basis for their study was a single text book studied over this period!!!! which hardly consitiutes an education!

Unskilled labour is just that, unskilled and they pay base rates, the conditions of work are not brilliant during summer. people who have a trade skill such as welders, plumbers and carpenters fare better in this situation
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 29, 2010
Thanks dbxsoul...

i have a friend who is now in dubai, he used to work in the same company that i am working right now here in the philippines. he enter dubai through a visit visa then he apply for a job. and luckily he now have a job there. now, when we are chatting, he's urging me to go there, but i keep on saying to him that i dont have a college degree so im affraid that i may not get hired because of it. but he keep on telling me to give it a try, my work experienced here is enough, for the employer to hire me. well, thats what he said.

back to the haggling of salary... for example, i found a job there that land to the "unskilled labourer" category, a storekeeeper, waiter or work in a hotel. How much is the minimum salary for it? so that i can have an idea on how to haggle with the employer... :-)

Thanks again sir!
supermariobrothers
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 29, 2010
supermariobrothers wrote:Thanks dbxsoul...

i have a friend who is now in dubai, he used to work in the same company that i am working right now here in the philippines. he enter dubai through a visit visa then he apply for a job. and luckily he now have a job there. now, when we are chatting, he's urging me to go there, but i keep on saying to him that i dont have a college degree so im affraid that i may not get hired because of it. but he keep on telling me to give it a try, my work experienced here is enough, for the employer to hire me. well, thats what he said.

back to the haggling of salary... for example, i found a job there that land to the "unskilled labourer" category, a storekeeeper, waiter or work in a hotel. How much is the minimum salary for it? so that i can have an idea on how to haggle with the employer... :-)

Thanks again sir!

Okay, I would look for the site for a company called Bin Hendi, they are a fairly large company and have several facets to their business, although most of them are in the restaurant industry. I remember seeing quiet a large advertisement in the last few days for several positions for them.

Your fist step is though that you must have whatever qualifications you have attested, whether this is a school certificate or more - the law of the country requires this. I would expect the salary for restaurant positions is in the region of 2,500 – 3500 per month – depending on the job and level of skill and responsibility it involves. With many companies (in this line of work) they will also provide some form of accommodation and transport to and from work – but don’t expect much!!! They will normally try and put as many people as possible into as small a space as possible.

If you come on a visit visa you are more likely to find work than via the internet and emails!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 30, 2010
dbxsoul wrote:
supermariobrothers wrote:Thanks dbxsoul...

Thanks again sir!

Okay, I would look for the site for a company called Bin Hendi, they are a fairly large company and have several facets to their business, although most of them are in the restaurant industry. I remember seeing quiet a large advertisement in the last few days for several positions for them.

Your fist step is though that you must have whatever qualifications you have attested, whether this is a school certificate or more - the law of the country requires this. I would expect the salary for restaurant positions is in the region of 2,500 – 3500 per month – depending on the job and level of skill and responsibility it involves. With many companies (in this line of work) they will also provide some form of accommodation and transport to and from work – but don’t expect much!!! They will normally try and put as many people as possible into as small a space as possible.

If you come on a visit visa you are more likely to find work than via the internet and emails!

I would look for the site for a company called Bin Hendi
Thanks sir, im looking forward to it.. maybe you could post or PM it to me, i really appreciate your help.

I'm gonna finish my training here in a short course (HRM) related to a restaurant or hotel job by next month, and after getting my certificate they will also help me get "on the job training" here. with that, (and with GOD's help) and despite me being an asian with no college degree, it can give me enough confidence that i can get a chance of getting a job in dubai. also i still have my 8 years of experienced as Warehouseman/Supervisor here. i think that would be enough to add to my credentials. (i hope so... :D )

3,500 per month will do fine for me... :D my plans of trying it out there through a "visit visa" is after the summer season, as i also read here in your post that it is the ideal time.

Thanks dbxsoul!
supermariobrothers
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Apr 30, 2010
http://www.binhendi.com/v2/working-at-binhendi.htm

the site is a little slow in loading as it is filled with graphics and video materials ...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips for working and finding work in Dubai May 22, 2010
Thanx for all the info.I would be grateful if you could tell me on average
how much would an Asst Professor of Business would earn in the UAE?
Cheers
globalnomad
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai May 22, 2010
Depends what you intend doing with the qualification and experience?
Teaching/ lecturing or actually working?

Work depends on industry sector.
Teaching and lecturing definitely depends on institution.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Tips For Working And Finding Work In Dubai Jun 04, 2010
Very very informative material. Great job to you dbxsoul!

I have a query about working in dubai. I've been working here in the philippines for 3 years now in a call center.. I'm 28 years old and currently works as a Quality Assurance Representative. I also hold a degree in Chemical Engineering but was not able to practice it but i do have certification during my intern on Waste Water Treatment.

I am eyeing to work in dubai for a call center company but I do not have any idea on what company and if the industry (call center) is that rampant in dubai compared here in the philippines.
What would be my chances to work in dubai as a call center agent or probably something similar?
Another thing to consider is salary. I was not able to see how much it pays in dubai to work in a call center company.

Any advise regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much and Best Regards!
roselle
Dubai Forum Guest

Hi there,

Just a quick reply, but something to consider. Call centres are not really a big item in the UAE, there are a few reasons. Fairly small local and expat. population, in the "big picture" most companies in the UAE are small when compared to multi-national and even national companies, high labour costs - it is cheaper to employ and run a call centre from India or the Phillipines than it is in Dubai/ UAE (no accomodation, visa, medical costs, leave tickets etc.).

In my experience sucessful call centres are placed in areas where the labour is (relativley) inexpensive, has a local population that is highly skilled, high literacy rate and high levels of unemployement. India for example has many highly qualified, unemployed IT workers, Hong Kong for finance, Philippines for finance, IT and remote CAD offices.

I would say that you would have a far better chance finding employment in your original vocation rather than in call centre managment (in the UAE)! In actual fact I would even go as far as to say that your skills in this area may even be in demand!

UAE Labour law is prohibitive when it comes to job-hopping, refer to the posts on Labour Bans.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

dbxsoul wrote:Hi there,

Just a quick reply, but something to consider. Call centres are not really a big item in the UAE, there are a few reasons. Fairly small local and expat. population, in the "big picture" most companies in the UAE are small when compared to multi-national and even national companies, high labour costs - it is cheaper to employ and run a call centre from India or the Phillipines than it is in Dubai/ UAE (no accomodation, visa, medical costs, leave tickets etc.).

In my experience sucessful call centres are placed in areas where the labour is (relativley) inexpensive, has a local population that is highly skilled, high literacy rate and high levels of unemployement. India for example has many highly qualified, unemployed IT workers, Hong Kong for finance, Philippines for finance, IT and remote CAD offices.

I would say that you would have a far better chance finding employment in your original vocation rather than in call centre managment (in the UAE)! In actual fact I would even go as far as to say that your skills in this area may even be in demand!

UAE Labour law is prohibitive when it comes to job-hopping, refer to the posts on Labour Bans.

Thank you dbxsoul for the quick response.

Keeping that in mind now gives me a better picture of the industry (call centre) there in dubai / UAE. What came accross my mind now is the skill. since working in a call centre deals more with selling. I think sales is another one to consider at my end when looking for a work in dubai. I know that there are many stores ( retail ) in dubai that might be looking for sales rep's or marketing ( not too sure ). Will having an experience in a call centre industry give me a shot in having a marketing / sales rep postion in dubai?

Also, considering my lack of experience in my field ( engineering ). What would be the chances to practice it in dubai?

Thanks in advance!
roselle
Dubai Forum Guest

Again, because of the relativly small "buying population" the only sales centres you may find that have any work in the UAE are property, vehicles and one whice always gets me are the banks. although, the banks generally have their centres in India :)

Sales, direct sale and sales representatives, you're likily to get work in. These tend to be quiet lowly paid positions though, or low basic and commision based.

As to the engineering, well you have to start somewhere. Normally employers in the middle east prefer expereinced candidates, but you may get lucky!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai