Freelance License To Work In UAE

Topic locked
Freelance license to work in UAE Nov 26, 2009
I am looking for some info on obtaining a freelance license. I have offer from a handful of companies who are interested in hiring me as freelancer. I was told I could apply for a license with Dubai media city. Can some one explain me the procedure, cost, time & documentation involved etc? Does obtaining this license openup freelance markets to all GCC countries besides UAE? Thanks for your help in advance. - SA

SA
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Freelance license to work in UAE Nov 26, 2009
Procedure: Submit documents to FZ authority, pay money, and wait
Cost: about 20k dhs (a guess)
Time: week or two after all documents submitted
Documents: passport, business plan, photos, medical test results

All markets can use your services, not just UAE or GCC. It's not a licence to operate in other GCC countries thought. If that makes sense. You're supposed to be operating out of Dubai Media City.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-media-city.php
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Freelance license to work in UAE Nov 26, 2009
Thanks Bonk for your reply. I truly appreciate the help. I do have a couple of follwo up questions. I presume this will get me a residency visa to opne a bank acct & rent a studio apt ? Are there any licensed agents/lawyers who will do the leg paperwork (certianly for a fee). Thanks.
SA
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Freelance license to work in UAE Dec 13, 2009
Yes and yes. But I don't know agent names to recommend, I have seen advertisements.

Places like DMC, DIC, DKV do a reasonable job of helping you sort out paperwork though, contact them first before you give money to an agent.
bonk

Re: Freelance license to work in UAE Dec 14, 2009
Thanks once again. I am almost done with my business plan. I guess I will submit that directly to DMC. I have recieved some conflicting information. Perhaps you can clarify that for me. One information I have is that, UAE freelance license will also permit to work in GCC countries. And that was denied by another source. I am wondering if you have any information on that? Thanks.
SA
Dubai Expat Wannabe

I thought I answered that already :?. See my first post.

A UAE work permit is permission to work in the UAE. If you want to live and work in another GCC country then you need a work permit and residency visa from that country. You can visit other countries on a business trip to get a contract and then come back to the UAE to do the work.
bonk

Thanks. I see it. Sorry about that. Once again thanks for your help.
SA
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai