Public Display Of Affection

Topic locked
Public display of affection Apr 02, 2007
Im travelling to Dubai soon and I plan on living there for about 6 months. I am from the US and I am not exteamlly familar with Dubai law. Would it be illegal to show affection in public with a girl. ie. kissing, holding hands, ext.

tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Public display of affection Apr 02, 2007
tomtom69l7 wrote:Im travelling to Dubai soon and I plan on living there for about 6 months. I am from the US and I am not exteamlly familar with Dubai law. Would it be illegal to show affection in public with a girl. ie. kissing, holding hands, ext.

ILLEGAL! PDA is allowed only if all our eyes & police eyes are close. Americans can be dumb-azz at times. :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2007
Well no asc, I'd have to disagree with you on that. Holding hands is ok, I;even see many locals holding hands in public now, and local guys with girls of other nationalities. However anything else is frowned upon.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Well no asc, I'd have to disagree with you on that. Holding hands is ok, I;even see many locals holding hands in public now, and local guys with girls of other nationalities. However anything else is frowned upon.

He mentioned kissing.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 02, 2007
Well yes, sucking each others faces off in public is a big no no.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2007
"Sir it's not allowed"

It's not even kissing. HUGGING in a frickin nightclub is frowned upon. I seriously can't promise I won't murder the next person that gives me crap like this again. I mean we're not in the streets, we're not in a mall, we're in a FRICKIN nightclub. There're people dirty dancing everywhere and I am hugging my girl and one of the bouncers come and taps me on the shoulder and tells me it's not allowed :lol:

So much hypocricy in this country... I used to find it funny but it's getting more irritating every day now...
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Public display of affection Apr 02, 2007
ILLEGAL! PDA is allowed only if all our eyes & police eyes are close. Americans can be dumb-azz at times. :shock:[/quote]

And so can people from every country. Americans are not dumber then anyone else in the world. If you think so, then you have alot to think about.
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
Tom, sad to say that the general impression most Americans give to others is that they are a little on the dim side.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2007
Don't worry about her - she can be a bit ascerbic. I'd give you a hug - but it's not allowed :( :D
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2007
Me and my missus hold hands and we walk past locals holding hands as well.

To be honest I am not into full on face sucking in public so it suits me ok and i thinks its a good balance out here.

I was in Germany last week waiting for my flight back - to ageing hippies were going at it tounges and all. I really wanted to say 'ffs, folks - i don't really want to have to watch you doing that whilst I try to eat my sandwich'.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2007
good job, now you guys turned the thread into another US vs World debate....

*sigh*

It's pointless, you're all dumbasses. The Lebanese own you all. 8)
Nick81

Apr 02, 2007
Ehehehe, nice one Nick.

I think it's quite nice to see couples holding hands, but I have to agree, it's not nice to see people going at it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Ehehehe, nice one Nick.

I think it's quite nice to see couples holding hands, but I have to agree, it's not nice to see people going at it.

Why thank you Chocs :wink:

But I am getting freaked now. You're all weirdos in here. First the thread about jellyfish that turned into a fetish fest and now people showing voyeuristic tendencies! Remind me not to go out with you guys! Wouldn't want you studying my every moves when I am with my girl! :lol: :lol:
Nick81

Apr 02, 2007
Like how much trouble would I get in if I was caught kissing in public? Im sure theres a big fine or something involved. Hopefully the cops there arnt dicks and give fines for stupid stuff like that.
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
Since the question is about visiting Dubai and being familiar with the local laws...

A young girl was recently fined Dhs. 1500 (approximately US$ 400) for illegally spending some time in the car of her "unrelated" male friend who faced the same situation and fine.

Such a crime is identified as khulwa.

The Ajman Sharia Court of First Instance fined the two of them for their actions which are punishable by law in UAE. The court considered them at fault when they stayed in a private place together without being "religiously related".
kensus
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
tomtom69l7 wrote:Like how much trouble would I get in if I was caught kissing in public? Im sure theres a big fine or something involved. Hopefully the cops there arnt dicks and give fines for stupid stuff like that.

Don't take any chances that's my advice to you. We've had Emiratis stare at us just because we looked "close" to each other while walking in a mall or maybe me rubbing her shoulder which is of course something highly obscene to do in public. So yeah, do NOT kiss your girl in public. In a club as long as you don't deal with retarded bouncers you'll be fine but don't do anything in the streets, restaurants, malls etc...
Nick81

Apr 02, 2007
kensus wrote:Since the question is about visiting Dubai and being familiar with the local laws...

A young girl was recently fined Dhs. 1500 (approximately US$ 400) for illegally spending some time in the car of her "unrelated" male friend who faced the same situation and fine.

The Ajman Sharia Court of First Instance fined the two of them for their actions which are punishable by law in UAE. The court considered them at fault when they stayed in a private place together without being "religiously related".

Jesus Christ! And I thought my $300 ticket from Maryland State Police for getting caught reciving road head was bad!
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
Well to be honest that post just confused the issue, as the topic is on Dubai, and you talked about Ajman, which is far stricter than Dubai.

Many of the other Emirates prosecute under Sharia Law, but it doesn't always happen that way in Dubai.

Basic rule of thumb, be aware of what is locally acceptable and what is not and have respect for the local cultures. Dubai is far more liberal than many of the other Emirates, example it's frowned upon to wear short shorts in Sharjah. So you know do a bit of research.

Nick the reason the bouncers are getting heavy in the clubs, is that CID are now patrolling them on a regular basis and coming down heavy on people 'getting off' around the places.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 02, 2007
kensus wrote:Since the question is about visiting Dubai and being familiar with the local laws...

Just FYI, Tom, laws vary in each Emirate. This example given by kensus obviously happened in Ajman. The situation could be very different if it occured in Dubai. The one place you don't want to get caught it, is Sharjah...
Nick81

Apr 02, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Well to be honest that post just confused the issue, as the topic is on Dubai, and you talked about Ajman, which is far stricter than Dubai.

Many of the other Emirates prosecute under Sharia Law, but it doesn't always happen that way in Dubai.

Basic rule of thumb, be aware of what is locally acceptable and what is not and have respect for the local cultures. Dubai is far more liberal than many of the other Emirates, example it's frowned upon to wear short shorts in Sharjah. So you know do a bit of research.

Nick the reason the bouncers are getting heavy in the clubs, is that CID are now patrolling them on a regular basis and coming down heavy on people 'getting off' around the places.

Damn you beat me to it Chocs :wink:

And yeah I know that... Same thing kinda happened in Lebanon too. But it IS a pain when you have a guy basically following you everywhere in the club and checking your every move. Last week we went to Chi and there were bouncers every 10 meters in the club! NOT fun. They'd walk right in the middle of the dance floor and made everyone uncomfortable...
Nick81

Apr 02, 2007
Im just worried because ive lived here in America my whole life and Im so used to the way things are done over here. I live in a fairly rural area but im olny like 45 min away from Washington, DC, and I am used to a more rural like life sytle. I hunt, shoot guns, target practice, go messin around with the girls, play video games, kyack, all that stuff. Im just worried that I will not be able to get away with as much as I do in America and that there are no protected rights (ie. freedom of speech, press, religion, right to a fair trial.) Myby Im just a little to worried though.
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
tomtom69l7 wrote:Im just worried because ive lived here in America my whole life and Im so used to the way things are done over here. I live in a fairly rural area but im olny like 45 min away from Washington, DC, and I am used to a more rural like life sytle. I hunt, shoot guns, target practice, go messin around with the girls, play video games, kyack, all that stuff. Im just worried that I will not be able to get away with as much as I do in America and that there are no protected rights (ie. freedom of speech, press, religion, right to a fair trial.) Myby Im just a little to worried though.

Maybe you should stay home. Buy yourself a six pack of "Shaefer" beer and shoot the cans up! Be careful not to hit any of the plastic flamingos or the astroturf.

Anyways, I think you are making the whole stuff up! No one as dumb as you protray yourself would even think of coming to Dubai. For starterters; would have no idea what it is, where it is, or why one comes here!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2007
Oh yea everyone in America who lives in the country lives in a trailer. We shoot everything we see in our yard. We hate every race religion, drink shaffer, or bud. Thats all we do. No theres no chance that someone who lives in the country could be well educated and have graduated with a 3.8 GPA and an SAT score of 2200. Theres no chance that anyone in rural america lives in a nice big single family house with 400acres of property and a house in the Florida keys. No theres no chance of that. God I love sterotypes!
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
Maybe you should stay home. Buy yourself a six pack of "Shaefer" beer and shoot the cans up! Be careful not to hit any of the plastic flamingos or the astroturf.

Anyways, I think you are making the whole stuff up! No one as dumb as you protray yourself would even think of coming to Dubai. For starterters; would have no idea what it is, where it is, or why one comes here![/quote]

Yea I have no life so I need to sit here on a damn fourm making up a story about going to Dubai for 6 months. FYI I am going there in 4 months b/c the University I go to has an exchange program with the American University in Dubai and I volunteered to go b/c I love going to new places and meeting new people. I am just a little nervous about going. So please think before you speak!
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
tomtom69l7 wrote:Maybe you should stay home. Buy yourself a six pack of "Shaefer" beer and shoot the cans up! Be careful not to hit any of the plastic flamingos or the astroturf.

Anyways, I think you are making the whole stuff up! No one as dumb as you protray yourself would even think of coming to Dubai. For starterters; would have no idea what it is, where it is, or why one comes here!

Yea I have no life so I need to sit here on a damn fourm making up a story about going to Dubai for 6 months. FYI I am going there in 4 months b/c the University I go to has an exchange program with the American University in Dubai and I volunteered to go b/c I love going to new places and meeting new people. I am just a little nervous about going. So please think before you speak![/quote]

Shouldn't you be in bed at 3:32 a.m. on a Monday morning?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2007
Shouldn't you be in bed at 3:32 a.m. on a Monday morning?[/quote]

What the hell is your problem man? I was asking a fairly simple question and now you have to be a banana about it.
tomtom69l7
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 02, 2007
Some of us old-timers should remember that certain things have become second nature to us. Nice welcome for a noobie, huh? Blast him not only for his question, but for his nationality. No wonder so many of them, these days, get off on the wrong foot.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2007
a lot of misinterpretation and selective reading, based on our own perceptions is leading to this . well i guess most of us need a time off lol :lol:
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2007
Dubai law of kissing control:
Act 1973 issued by Sheikh HP

act a=) All kind of kissing (french , mouth to mouth ) are forbidden by ministry of sex control until and unless specified. This law doesnt apply to arab men when they kiss their friends on cheek.

act b =) get a room fuckersssss :P

act c=) Holding hand is not allowed until and unless u dont have trust on your partner.

act d =) Eating banana at public place is not allowed .

act e=) s.e.x on the back seat of car is not allowed .

act f= Russian prostitutes are allowed in order to restore the sustaining economoy of Russia :=)
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2007
tomtom69l7 wrote:Shouldn't you be in bed at 3:32 a.m. on a Monday morning?

What the hell is your problem man? I was asking a fairly simple question and now you have to be a banana about it.[/quote]

ahahahahahahah - be a banana, laughed my arse off shahahahahahahahaha! :lol:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat