Muslim Cabbies Deny Blind People Passage

Topic locked
Muslim cabbies deny blind people passage Oct 08, 2006
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,20 ... l?from=rss

Muslim cabbies refusing the blind and drinkers

By Lincoln Wright and Ian Haberfield

October 08, 2006 12:00am
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

MUSLIM taxi drivers are refusing to carry blind passengers with their guide dogs or anyone carrying alcohol.

At least 20 dog-aided blind people have lodged discrimination complaints with the Victorian Taxi Directorate. Dozens more have voiced their anger.

And there have been several complaints that drivers refuse to allow passengers to carry sealed bottles of alcohol.
Victorian Taxi Association spokesman Neil Sach said the association had appealed to the mufti of Melbourne to give religious approval for Muslim cabbies to carry guide dogs.

One Muslim driver, Imran, said yesterday the guide dog issue was difficult for him.

"I don't refuse to take people, but it's hard for me because my religion tells me I should not go near dogs," he said.

There are about 2000 Muslims among drivers of Melbourne's 10,000 taxis. Many are from countries with strict Islamic teachings about "unclean" dogs and the evils of alcohol.

Drivers who refused to carry blind people with their dogs attended remedial classes at Guide Dogs Victoria, Mr Sach said.

"They are taught why blind people need dogs," Mr Sach said.

"The Victorian Taxi Association has included a program in their taxi driver training program."

Guide Dogs Victoria spokeswoman Holly Marquette said blind people regularly reported taxi drivers refusing to carry them because of their dogs.

"It's sad and quite upsetting," Ms Marquette said. "We try to work with new drivers to educate them about their responsibilities and the needs and rights of blind people.

"We explain that the dog is clean, well trained, won't go near them and will stay in the foot well with the client.

"But it's a high turnover industry and it's hard to capture everyone."

Ms Marquette said there was a legal requirement for taxi drivers, shops, restaurants, hotels and supermarkets to accept guide dogs.

Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder said the guide dog issue would exacerbate the taxi industry's flagging respect in the community.

Under the State Government's customer charter, taxi passengers have the right to "be accompanied by a guide dog or hearing dog".

Mr Sach said the problem was often reversed and that Muslim drivers suffered discrimination from passengers who abused them for being "terrorists".

"Muslims are good people and the community has to realise that the days of the white Anglo-Saxon Protestant are well and truly over," he said.

Over the past two years the licences of 306 drivers were revoked or suspended, including those who refused to carry the blind and their dogs.

Desperado
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 08, 2006
It always amazes me how muslims living in countries under Sharia law are more tolerant then those who don't.

I have nothing against muslims, but you get idiots everywhere regardless of their religion.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 08, 2006
my religion tells me not to go near dogs !!

lolz where r u getting this from please post this bull else where

australia of all countries joins the team yank in its anti anti islam propoganda.
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2006
duh another whiner
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2006
Nevermind.
Desperado
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 08, 2006
as u know there s a big game in the world.they r using belief and every country wants a piece of cake from this world bla bla...

European Union wants from Turkey to accept armenian genocide. it s only piece of their plan. it s a big lie. Every investigator people can understand this. why they dont judge Germany, France about genocide?
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 08, 2006
Desperado wrote:
xibit wrote:my religion tells me not to go near dogs !!

australia of all countries joins the team yank in its anti anti islam propoganda.

LOL! Ya, youre right it is ridiculous. What is the problem with these fvckheads?

what is problem with u coming here? They staed their opinionand wil change with time. Aussies are kinda intolerant no wonder they were so many rascist attacks last yr
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 08, 2006
sniper420 wrote:
Desperado wrote:
xibit wrote:my religion tells me not to go near dogs !!

LOL! Ya, youre right it is ridiculous. What is the problem with these fvckheads?

what is problem with u coming here? They staed their opinionand wil change with time. Aussies are kinda intolerant no wonder they were so many rascist attacks last yr

I dont doubt there have been attacks against Muslims in Australia. Wouldnt surprise me one bit. With time? Why the need for time? Its pretty obvious that you should make exceptions, help handicapped people out.
Desperado
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 09, 2006
Deniz wrote:as u know there s a big game in the world.they r using belief and every country wants a piece of cake from this world bla bla...

European Union wants from Turkey to accept armenian genocide. it s only piece of their plan. it s a big lie. Every investigator people can understand this. why they dont judge Germany, France about genocide?

Haha! You Turks are in denial BIG TIME.
Desperado
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 09, 2006
u aussi's are jst a bunch of convicts stranded on island ...
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 09, 2006
compared to canadians aussies are really xenophobic and pray americanos.. I was surprised to see rascist attack last yr ....one video a woman was jabbing any non0-caucasian looking ppl...... noe does that mean all aussies are rascist Desperando? Or should I say they are some rascists among aussies?

Similarly I bet not all Muslims will agree to the cabbies claims.....the media are big S** of b*** . Rewind 50 yrs ago yah 5 yrs ago......u will read many newspapers from US, Russia, UK and whole europe slandering Jews . Now they have gained top places and made anti-semitism rules now the target is Muslims. I understand some Muslim issues can b annoying but why does one have to make big deal of changing St george's flag or cabbies? Dont u live in democratic society? So they are voicing their opinions now it's upto gov to approve it or not . Jeeeeeeeeeez......... like if those Muslims dont give a drunk aride then catch another cab why big deal?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
the brothers in america cant catch cab's cause no one stops for them ... but damn they aint complainin ..
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 09, 2006
Jamal wrote:the brothers in america cant catch cab's cause no one stops for them ... but damn they aint complainin ..

I presume those bros restraint from smoking and abstain from s*x unlike u eh?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
hahaha .. guess soo. even though i didnt get wat it had to do wit it all.
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Oct 09, 2006
Jamal wrote:hahaha .. guess soo. even though i didnt get wat it had to do wit it all.

well it got to do with other threads eg. stop smoking or sheesha thread- u cant have differnet characters on differnet threads
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 09, 2006
:lol: ... my mind gets re adjusted for every topic.
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat