Part Time Job

Topic locked
part time job Mar 05, 2008
Hello all!

I am already here in Dubai.. I arrived last January and have signed a contract with the company. Stupid of me to realize just now that I have made the wrong decision of flying here. Long story.. but then to make it short.. life here is expensive - food, clothing and rent! my salary is not enough...so.. is it legal for me to look for a part time job? if not, what are the repercussions if caught.

Anybody here in need of a part timer?... currently i am working as a personal assistant to the CEO...typing speed 60-70 wpm... had a call center experience...filipina

Thanks!

mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Re: part time job Mar 06, 2008
mommy41 wrote:Hello all!

I am already here in Dubai.. I arrived last January and have signed a contract with the company. Stupid of me to realize just now that I have made the wrong decision of flying here. Long story.. but then to make it short.. life here is expensive - food, clothing and rent! my salary is not enough...so.. is it legal for me to look for a part time job? if not, what are the repercussions if caught.

Anybody here in need of a part timer?... currently i am working as a personal assistant to the CEO...typing speed 60-70 wpm... had a call center experience...filipina

Thanks!

sadly there isn't much you can do about it!

1. it is illegal to work for two companies at once - you can be black listed (permanently banned if caught)
2. you will be banned for 6 months if you try and change employers now

at best you can try and work out 2 years with your current employer and then try to transfer - or take the knock, accept the 6 month ban, leave and come back towards the end of the year
dbxsoul
Honored Member

what if..... Mar 06, 2008
Thanks dbxsoul....

What if...I decide to resign from the company during my probation period and accept the 6- month ban, do I have to pay the company anything? How much is the maximum (on top of my plane ticket back home)? Am I assured that I will only be banned for 6 months?

How about if after I resigned, was banned for 6 months….I chose to stay here in Dubai, is there a possibility for me to find work in a free zone area?

Thanks again!
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Re: what if..... Mar 07, 2008
mommy41 wrote:Thanks dbxsoul....

What if...I decide to resign from the company during my probation period and accept the 6- month ban, do I have to pay the company anything?

depends on the type of contract you were employed under fixed term or open contract. if you were to break a fixed term contract the maximum penalty your employer can ask you to repay is the equivalent amount of 6 weeks salary. the company is not obliged to pay for your flight home either. in many instances the company will try and recover a pro-rata amount of the employment expenses from you - this is not technically legal, but if the contract was broken by you the labour court may be inclined to accept it as compensation.

leaving during your probation period can still incur the ban

How much is the maximum (on top of my plane ticket back home)? Am I assured that I will only be banned for 6 months?

6 months is the standard for a labour ban, as i pointed out if you were to try and work illegally and were caught the ban would be for much longer. simply tell your employer you have to leave because of family issues/ problems back home, the less they think that you are simply trying to swap jobs the better - they may even feel sympathetic towards you and not try to claim too much compensation.

How about if after I resigned, was banned for 6 months….I chose to stay here in Dubai, is there a possibility for me to find work in a free zone area?

difficult to say, normally the ban exemption is if you swap between employers in a freezone; additionally the freezones have slightly different regulations - it may be best to enquire at administration office of the particular free zone.
Thanks again!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Mar 07, 2008
if you really feel you need to get a second job, just do it discreetly and ensure it wont affect your day job. good luck.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted