Back From Holidays

Topic locked
Back from Holidays Aug 21, 2011
Ah well, the time has to come when the vacation ends and we have to get back to that mundane thing called 'life in the sandbox'!

Greetings Duffers, the Knight has landed back in the bosom (although he should not be thinking of that during the Holy month!) of Dubai. Not a lot has changed, a few new roads and buildings. The place seems to be very quiet, which is a bit of a blessing.

Strapping oneself to the grindstone once more and back in the groove before heading over to Doha to set up a little show over Eid and then its full steam ahead at flank speed.

Anyone else been away?

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Back from Holidays Aug 21, 2011
Welcome back DK !
Where have you spent your holidays? :D

I've been away for sometime and am back recently. I visited Beirut for 2-3 days, and then to Turkey to experience Ramadan among the Turks, was a fantastic one I have to say! Makes me want to go back again ;)

My next station will be in Europe to visit Vienna, Kaprun, Zell am se, Munich, Rust, and Zurich. A Euro trip around German speaking cities.

Welcome back again ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Back From Holidays Aug 21, 2011
Greetings Jedi
desertdudeshj

Re: Back from Holidays Aug 23, 2011
Who are you :lol:
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Back from Holidays Aug 24, 2011
It was an interesting holiday...the first time I have been back to Mallorca since I was 8 years old!

Didn't like it much all those years ago and had a very negative opinion ever since. The SO managed to convince me there was more than meets the eye as she had worked in tourism there for a couple of years.

Have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. Its a lovely place as long as you steer clear of the Club 18-30 style resorts such as Arenal or Magalluf. Its geared for tourism as they pretty much invented the package deal holiday which means things are well signposted and there is plenty of choice. Food and drink is excellent as long as you seek out the traditional local places otherwise its burgers and chips or bratwurst und beer!

The north of the island is mountainous and rugged and superb motorcycle territory. Busa, you would be in heaven! The road down to Sa Calobra is like something from the intro to the Italian Job and I could hear Matt Monro singing 'On Days Like These' in my ear as I negotiated all the twists and turns. The rest of the island is a flat rural plain but the small villages are delightful as the tourists don't go there. Palma is cosmopolitan and historically interesting with lots of cultural activities.

I will have to go back out of season as all the locals tell me its even better once the screaming hordes of great unwashed go home. One downside is the route to get there. I went via Cairo and Barcelona and this is a 16 hour schlep but the most cost effective route. Another downside was getting severe food poisoning 2 days from the end of the holiday and having to make the return trip feeling like death.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Back From Holidays Aug 24, 2011
Welcome back.
No holiday for me, but I did get back to the land of the great unwashed a few times and managed to get a few games of golf in.
I guessing that you didn't have a golf bag on the back of the bike.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat