Some Tips For Ramadan

Topic locked
Some tips for Ramadan Jul 28, 2011
As the Holy month is nearly upon us, I came across this, which I thought might be quite useful:

Here's a little something prepared and shared by our friends at British Business Group Dubai and Northern Emirates listing out some sound advice,tips and basics about Ramadan:

1 - Nothing should pass your lips when in public, no eating no drinking, no smoking...nothing.

2 - In the privacy of your own home you are free to do as you wish, please be respectful if your windows open onto a public area.

3 - Most malls or hotels have designated restaurants open, these can usually be identified as they will have blacked out windows.

4 - Loud music and celebration is not permitted before the evening prayer (Maghreb, usually around 7:15pm).

5 - Ramadan is a month of reflection. Many Muslims use this time to think about those less fortunate than themselves.

6 - Each year Ramadan starts on a different date and is not confirmed until the new moon is sighted.

7 - At the end of the Holy month we celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr عيد الفطر. This celebration marks the restoration of oneself after the fast.

8 - Many businesses close early during the Holy month, get everything done in the morning!

9 -Muslims will rarely refuse you 'permission' to eat at work. But that is not the point; respect for ur colleague is the point.

10 - It is illegal to make a fasting Muslim work longer hours than the government recommends.

11 - Women: you are not forced to wear an abaya during Ramadan, although it is polite to cover your chest, knees, and shoulders.

12 - You may want to share food with your neighbours, as is customary during Ramadan. Just remember...no pork and no alcohol!

13 - Lack of sustenance and an early start to the day can cause bad moods. Show understanding during Ramadan.

14 - Not all Muslims must fast during Ramadan. Children, the elderly, and the sick/infirm are allowed to eat.

15 - Each year the government keeps a close eye on food prices ensuring merchants don't capitalise on seasonal buying trends.

16 - Iftar is the name given to the meal that breaks the fast each evening. You should accept any invitations.

17 - If a Muslim cannot fast for health reasons they must complete the fast later in the year. Ramadan lasts for 30 days. (AaE adds: this applies if one got ill during the month, i.e flu. However, if the illness in question is chronic or if fasting is bad for one's health, one is not required to fast. Doctors can advise for or against this depending on the condition).

18 - Try to avoid using taxis. The driver may be hungry and tired, use the Metro instead (the trains are driverless).

19 - Drink plenty of water before you leave the house. It may be sometime before you are able to again.

20 - It is not culturally sensitive to complain about cars being double parked outside of a mosque.

21 - Remember your Ramadan manners, do not offer someone a tea, coffee, or water when they reach your office.

22 - Traditionally the daily fast is broken with dates and water.

23 - If you are fasting for the first time, do not to gorge yourself when dinner time comes. Ignore your urges, start small.

24 - Fasting does not only relate to food and drink. A fasting Muslim must refrain from temptation.

25 - Do not assume all Arabs are Muslims and that all Muslims have dark skin.

26 - Please understand it is a criminal offence to break Ramadan laws in the UAE.

27 - Women: A useful accessory during Ramadan is a shawl, it can cover the shoulders.

28 - It is a good idea to get what you need during the day as after prayer time the shops will be very busy.

29 - If this is your first Ramadan it would be a good idea to read further on what the month means.

30 - Ramadan will start as the new moon is sighted, this means it starts in the evening not the following morning.

31 - Ramadan ends once the new moon is sighted. Restaurants will be open to start the Eid celebrations and will be full.

32 - Ramadan is believed to be the month in which Allah revealed the Qu'ran to the Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

33 - Eid is not comparable to Christmas, but the retail business flourishes in a similar fashion.

34 - It is pointless to organise a meeting that clashes with a prayer time (Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, Isha).

35 - The first day of Eid-ul-Fitr عيد الفطر is always 'dry', no alcohol is served until the second day.

36 - Do not encourage your new Muslim friend to 'toast in Eid' with a glass of champagne.

37 - If you are planning a flight check which airlines serve food and which don’t, not all follow the same policy.

38 - Ramadan is one of the 5 pillars of Islam, alongside the profession of faith, daily prayer, charity, and the Hajj.

39 - Whether you are fasting or not you should remember the point of the month is to think of the less fortunate.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Jul 28, 2011
Or in other words, use your common sense and show some respect.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Jul 28, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:Or in other words, use your common sense and show some respect.

You'd think wouldn't you! Sadly though, common sense seems to elude ALOT of people during Ramadan.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Some Tips For Ramadan Jul 28, 2011
nice, I liked reading them so much :) ... excited...thanks choco for sharing...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud04 wrote:nice, I liked reading them so much :) ... excited...thanks choco for sharing...

Yes, thanks Chocs! Very exciting.
Bethsmum

Mahmoud04 wrote:nice, I liked reading them so much :) ... excited...thanks choco for sharing...

You're welcome. It's important to remind ourselves of these things every now and then.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:

You're welcome. It's important to remind ourselves of these things every now and then.

Mahmoud shouldn't need reminding of how to behave during Ramadan surely? :shock:
Bethsmum

Thanks for sharing Chocs.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Jul 30, 2011
Surprised to read some airlines don't serve food or drink as it is not required to fast if you are traveling for a journey of more than 100kms.

I shall find out in a couple of days as I am flying to Cairo on the 1st.

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Some Tips For Ramadan Aug 01, 2011
Quick question chocs,

Can I still pick my nose and eat it during Ramadan?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Aug 01, 2011
That's gross at anytime. Given that some strict people won't even swallow their own spit during fasting hours - I'd say no!

Here's one for BM:

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/12016 ... dan-rules/
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Some Tips For Ramadan Aug 01, 2011
I liked number 27 suits me.

27 - Women: A useful accessory during Ramadan.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:That's gross at anytime. Given that some strict people won't even swallow their own spit during fasting hours - I'd say no!

Here's one for BM:

I'm a swallower :bounce:
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:That's gross at anytime. Given that some strict people won't even swallow their own spit during fasting hours - I'd say no!

Here's one for BM:

I'm a swallower :bounce:

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Some Tips For Ramadan Aug 04, 2011
KUWAIT CITY // A Kuwaiti employed by the ministry of interior has been arrested in connection with a Ramadan shooting that left at least three Indian men dead, a security source said yesterday.

The arrested man, who is not a police officer, told investigating officers that he killed two of the men on Monday evening because "they were eating during Ramadan", the source said.

The so-far unidentified man has a history of mental illness, the source said, adding: "I think he's mad, or something."

A janitor and a tea boy, the first two victims, were killed at a farm in an area south-west of Kuwait City. The farm is reportedly owned by the arrested man's family. Media reported that the man was caught with a shotgun.

Another Indian was murdered at the house of the detainee's father, reportedly in the Saad Al Abdullah area west of Kuwait City, the security source said. An Ethiopian maid narrowly escaped the same fate when she fled from the gunman in the house.

The local online news agency, Alaan, reported that the body of a fourth man, an Asian shepherd, was discovered yesterday.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Aug 04, 2011
I read that yesterday BBR - simply shocking. Mind you he had been released from a mental institution only a couple of weeks prior. So sad, just such a waste of life.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Here's one for BM:

That article is a joke. Excuse Brits for ignoring the law. Yes, make them special. As mentioned in the article Dubai has received alot of bad press in the UK papers over the years - for Brits being arrested for blatantly defying the law. What? Brits don't read the papers, or don't know how to read? The UK tell Muslims how to behave in the UK, now they want to tell the UAE how they should tolerate Brits for violating the law. Here's an idea: don't visit Dubai!! Yes, Brits bring in revenue to Dubai, but Dubai doesn't rely on British tourism and fewer Brits, those that have difficulty abiding by the laws of the UAE, shouldn't come, Dubai isn't going to take a hard hit revenue wise.

As for BM Chocs, I can tell you that she is more respectful of the laws in Dubai that you are.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Clearly you didn't read the whole thing BB, I happen to agree with the guy from DTCM! Also the authorities said non-muslims would first get a warning for flouting rules, unlike in recent years.

You don't know anything about me or how I act outside - you ASSUME as always. Hey, you're the one who turns a blind eye and doesn't say anything to people. It's clearly you who has little tolerance.

I have more respect and understanding of the laws than most and abide by them thank you very much. I grew up in a far stricter Muslim country than this and the way many people act here simply appalls me, hence why I don't associate myself with them.

Don't profess to know anything about me Bora, because you don't! Not in the slightest.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Hey, you're the one who turns a blind eye and doesn't say anything to people. It's clearly you who has little tolerance.

Doesn't that show you have more tolerance?
Bethsmum

Chocoholic wrote:Clearly you didn't read the whole thing BB, I happen to agree with the guy from DTCM! Also the authorities said non-muslims would first get a warning for flouting rules, unlike in recent years.

You don't know anything about me or how I act outside - you ASSUME as always. Hey, you're the one who turns a blind eye and doesn't say anything to people. It's clearly you who has little tolerance.

I have more respect and understanding of the laws than most and abide by them thank you very much. I grew up in a far stricter Muslim country than this and the way many people act here simply appalls me, hence why I don't associate myself with them.

Don't profess to know anything about me Bora, because you don't! Not in the slightest.

Turning a blind eye can also be interpreted as minding one's own business. Not saying something to someone who is doing something that is considered personally offensive could also be interpreted as being tolerant. Two things you are incapable of doing. I guess you telling strangers what they should or should not do is being tolerant. :o

If you have such a strong understanding of the law I would highly doubt living with your boyfriend, having sex outside of marriage, encouraging people to live together without the benefit of marriage, talking about your drunken episodes, having booze parties in your apartment when you don't have a license, is abiding by the law. I actually know all that about you because you have posted that info. DUH!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Whatever Bora, not interested in anything you have to say. From this point on I'm going back to ignoring you. So if you don't like anything I have to say I suggest you do the same. End of.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Some Tips For Ramadan Aug 04, 2011
Not interested in the facts?? Understandable Chocs. :twisted:

Oh, look!!! It's Thursday!! Just hours away from your big night out with the voddie and ciggies hanging with the EW crowd!!! :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Some tips for Ramadan Aug 06, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:Surprised to read some airlines don't serve food or drink as it is not required to fast if you are traveling for a journey of more than 100kms.

I shall find out in a couple of days as I am flying to Cairo on the 1st.

:? :? :?

Knight

The american airlines (all airlines providing service in north america actually) provide ramadan all year for everyone on all flights.. You rarely even get something to drink on those. Even if you fly from New York to Hawaii..! :shock:
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat