The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime.

Topic locked
The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 21, 2011
Beth likes TV programmes about hospitals, she seems to like blood and guts for some reason. So tonight we tuned into '24 hours in A&E'. It was filmed in the Kings College Hospital in London.

It brought back memories to me as one of my daughters was admitted to the Royal London Hospital in 1999. I spent a lot of time living at that hospital during that period and it wasn't good.
Such as is London, the hospital is closed down at night and the only entry is through the A&E department as you must go through security to gain entry. I always thought it shocking to have to go through security to go into a hospital but after 3 weeks of seeing A&E at the dead of night in the East End of London, the hospital staff had my greatest respect. It was the pits.

But back to tonights programme. A nurse was interviewed. She said something along the lines of 'Everyone should visit an A&E department in their lives. It's not about the money, money, money or the rushing about. It's about your family and the ones you love'.
How true that is. Seeing my daughter in intensive care changed my life forever.

What is the one thing you think you should do in your lifetime? Or the one thing you would want to do in your lifetime?

I'd like to spend the night with David Beckham, just for research purposes, you understand.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 21, 2011
be on the cover of people magazine
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

A quick lap of the Nuremburg ring,with the guarantee of not falling off.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

True BM. I worked in a hospital You never get immune to seeing children with leukemia.

Recently had a birthday and made a `'bucket list'. I donot have it with me now, but on it was:

-see a Premier League foottie game in a stadium (somehow I never did).
-touring Australia.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

live in Dubai :D
peeg
Dubai Forum Guest

general_A wrote:be on the cover of people magazine

Done that :D

I think you should live everyday as if it's your bucket list personally. So much to do, so little time. I think it might take a few lifetimes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 22, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:Done that :D

OM bloody G, I think I should have put money on that response.

-- Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 am --

Flying Dutchman wrote:True BM. I worked in a hospital You never get immune to seeing children with leukemia.

Recently had a birthday and made a `'bucket list'. I donot have it with me now, but on it was:

-see a Premier League foottie game in a stadium (somehow I never did).
-touring Australia.

Can't help you with touring Australia, but somehow I think I know someone who has been there done that (on DF :D ) but you should try the City of Manchester Stadium for your premier league match.
City play Utd on August 7 (I think!) at Wembley but try Eastlands for the derby. Consider yourself invited FD!
Bethsmum

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 22, 2011
Well thanks BM. I'll be only in the UK coming September. But again, not much chance visiting a game.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 23, 2011
The first thing I want to do in my retirement is to renovate, from scratch a 1965-8 Triumph TR4A, it would be an IRS model with a hard surrey top and finished in British Racing Green.

Triumph TR4A IRS.jpg
My dream car
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I've got an old grey Ferguson tractor in the barn Dillon, you're welcome to have a go at that. It has a similarity to your Triumph, they're both convertibles. You can paint it whatever colour you wish.

My old fergie.jpg
My old fergie.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Bethsmum

Well I’m sure Mr BM would have something to say about that! I know how possessive farmers can get about their old machinery and rightfully so! I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, that old grey Ferguson is a collectors item.

My Father worked as an Engineer for David Brown & Sons Ltd for most of his working life after the war, at the Huddersfield Park Works and I know a little history about David Brown and Ferguson Tractors, Henry (Harry) Ferguson made tractors independently in Ireland and Bradford until 1936 when he collaborated with David Brown in the manufacture of the legendary Ferguson-Brown Tractor. Built initially in the David Brown gear factory at Park Works in Huddersfield, the Ferguson-Brown model was the world's first production tractor to be equipped with hydraulic lift and converging 3-point linkage, a concept which soon became a fundamental part of farm tractor design the world over.

Ferguson went on to the US and manufactured Ford-Ferguson, (Fordson) tractors with the Ford Motor Co, then Massey-Ferguson, I think GM eventually bought the business and merged it with other agricultural machinery manufacturers within the group.

David Brown concentrated on the war effort until 1945 when production of the David Brown tractor started in earnest at Meltham in Huddersfield, the company was eventually bought by Tenneco and merged with Case and International Harvester dropping the DB brand and moving production to the US in the late 80’s.

So that's the end of your agricultural machinery history lesson for today :) and I think I'll stick to renovating my Triumph thanks for the offer anyway!

:lol:
Dillon

I think I'll stick to renovating my Triumph thanks for the offer anyway!

You're welcome Dillon.

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, that old grey Ferguson is a collectors item

I'll hang on to it a bit longer and trade it in for an X6. I'm not keen on grey.

Thanks for the information! I'm quite an experienced tractor driver now but all I know about ours is that they've got loads of gears, aircon, good sound systems and that they go quite fast. And they're bloody expensive.
Bethsmum

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 26, 2011
Dillon wrote:The first thing I want to do in my retirement is to renovate, from scratch a 1965-8 Triumph TR4A, it would be an IRS model with a hard surrey top and finished in British Racing Green.

Triumph TR4A IRS.jpg

Best of luck with the later gearbox and the dumb Fairy overdrive unit they put in the 67-68 models! It never meshed properly and leaked all over the place. You had better have small hands too as the tolerance between the prop shaft and the tunnel is a beyatch!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 27, 2011
DK, you of all people should know that a vintage motor car or motor cycle without an oil leak simply doesn’t exist! :lol: , I remember a cousin of mine used to visit on his Ariel 650 Huntmaster Twin and after arriving he used to place a small drip tray under the engine to collect the leaking oil during his visit :o

I’ll stand corrected, but I believe It was Laycock De-Normanville who manufactured the overdrive units for the TR, I think Fairey only supplied LR at that time, however, the TR4 was the first marque to be fitted with full synchromesh on all 4 forward gears, innovative but problematic nevertheless and the overdrive units were always clunky on the earlier models.

But for me! It is all those idiosyncrasies that make up the character of the vehicle and the challenges during the rebuild, it’s still only a wish, there are very few originally discovered TR’s hitting the market today but there is no shortage of poorly restored models looking for some serious restoration, time will tell if I fulfil my wish.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:DK, you of all people should know that a vintage motor car or motor cycle without an oil leak simply doesn’t exist! :lol: , I remember a cousin of mine used to visit on his Ariel 650 Huntmaster Twin and after arriving he used to place a small drip tray under the engine to collect the leaking oil during his visit :o

I’ll stand corrected, but I believe It was Laycock De-Normanville who manufactured the overdrive units for the TR, I think Fairey only supplied LR at that time, however, the TR4 was the first marque to be fitted with full synchromesh on all 4 forward gears, innovative but problematic nevertheless and the overdrive units were always clunky on the earlier models.

But for me! It is all those idiosyncrasies that make up the character of the vehicle and the challenges during the rebuild, it’s still only a wish, there are very few originally discovered TR’s hitting the market today but there is no shortage of poorly restored models looking for some serious restoration, time will tell if I fulfil my wish.

I have to carry the drip tray with my Royal Enfield to this day! Its why they are affectionately known as Royal Oilfields!

Yes the early models had the Laycock OD, but Triumph were getting into financial difficulties at the end of the TR4 production cycle and decided to cost cut and bought the cheaper Fairy units for a number of the final run. They were experimenting with conformity of components for the US market and were also were subject to some ridiculous regulations, similar to MG when they decided to try and sell the MGB and Midget in the States and ended up killing the marque as they had to lift the suspension to get the lights within US approved tolerances and add that hideous rubber bumper in the early 70's. The engine was emasculated as well in order to comply with emission regulations that the US manufacturers blatantly ignored. It was all to do with American industrial protectionism rather than cars.

Incidentally that OD was finally perfected and used very effectively later in the Dolomite Sprint!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

:D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote::D

Are you smiling at DK's post or saying the one thing you should do in your life is smile Sage?

BTW welcome back, where've you been?
Bethsmum

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 28, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:

Are you smiling at DK's post or saying the one thing you should do in your life is smile Sage?

Smiling in general.

Thanks, where have you been?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 28, 2011
sage & onion wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Smiling in general.

Thanks, where have you been?

:D Nice to see you drop in Sage. I was just thinking about you the other day and where in the world you were. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: The One Thing You Should Do In Your Lifetime. Jul 29, 2011
Been to a few places in the past month.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat