Great Rock Anthems.

Topic locked
Great Rock Anthems. Jul 17, 2011
I was watching a programme on BBC2 tonight about rock anthems. It was challenging Guy Chambers to write a rock anthem in 3 days. You may, or may not, know Guy Chambers as the writer of 'Let Me Entertain You', a song that turned into an anthem for Robbie Williams. I'm not a great fan of Robbie Williams but did go to one of his do's at the cricket stadium in Leeds a couple of years ago to see what all the fuss was about and found myself with my arms in the air when he sang that song.
During the programme, many rock anthems were refered to.
I hadn't realised 'You'll Never Walk Alone' came from the musical 'Carousel' and was written by Rogers and Hammerstein. It was sung on the terraces at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster in 1958. It was then a hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963. At that time Liverpool FC played the top ten before every match and 'You'll Never Walk Alone' was No1 for three weeks. The fans kept on singing it when the players came on the pitch and continue singing it to this day.
That's what makes a Great Rock Anthem!
'We Will Rock You' was another great anthem, proved at the Live Aid concert when Freddy Murcury (plus sweat err) stole the show. There wasn't any drums in the original recording, it was the group stamping on some old floor boards in an old church where they were recording the track. It got the whole world and Wembley on it's feet that day. Freddie Mercury always made me feel as if I wanted to wash my hands, but hats off to him, he was the man.
An anthem for the ladies, and gays, was 'I will Survive' by Gloria Gaynor. It was originally a 'B' side but was played repeatedly at Studio 54 (Bora land!) and became an anthem for gays.

What is your Great Rock Anthem?

My first thought is U2's 'Price, In The Name of Love'. I saw them at a stadium in Sheffield last year. Bono stopped singing and the fans took over. I only have one word to describe it. Awesome.
I couldn't find a youtube of their performance in Sheffield where the quality justified their performance so I will post this one.

In the name of love
What more in the name of love

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Great Rock Anthems. Jul 17, 2011
Highway to Hell - ACDC

The ultimate rock anthem!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Knight
Dubai Knight

She Shook Me All NIght Long - ACDC
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

What comes to mind are three songs, by two British bands, that became anthems for Americans during the Vietnam War:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0l ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxpfBWMO ... re=related
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

That's what I love about this kind of topic, it reminds you of stuff you'd loved and forgotten about.
The Animals, just brilliant, and Eric Burdon, a Geordie!

Wasn't 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon' an anthem for some war? :D
Bethsmum

Paradise City - GNR

Can I Play With Madness - Iron Maiden

Running With The Devil - Van Halen

The last Queen concert in Holland still gives me chills. The first 10 minutes only drums of we will rock you!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Great Rock Anthems. Jul 18, 2011

A Focus fan??

Now we is talking!!

Jan Akkerman is one of my all time guitar heroes.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat