How Old Was Noah - According To The Koran?

Topic locked
How old was Noah - according to the Koran? Oct 01, 2009
On another thread, shafique claims that one must ignore the clear passages of the Koran and interpret the Koran 'metaphorically'.

I would normally challenge such a post with an examination of the 'absurdities' in the Quran with an examination of the texts and whether there are metaphorical interpretations - but with eh-oh, that would be as useful as hitting one's head against a brick wall!

Perhaps shafique has found out through experience how useful it is to hit one's head against a brick wall?

In any event, this quote from Wikipedia on Noah is pretty clear to me:

The Qu'ran states that Nuh was inspired by Allah, like other prophets such as Ibrahim, Ismael, Ishaq, Yaq'ub, Issa, Ayoub, Yonus, Harun, Sulayman, Dawud, Muhammad, and that he was a faithful messenger. Nuh had firm belief in Allah, and he preached Islam for about 950 years. (4:163, 26:107)

He continuously and plainly warned the people of the painful doom that was coming because they were wrong-doers and did not obey Allah,and worshiping idols like Wadd, Suwa', Yaghuth, Ya'uq and Nasr for almost a thousand years (11:25, 29:14, 71:1-5). He called the people to serve Allah, and said that nobody but Allah could save them (23:23). He said that the time of the deluge (flood) was appointed and could not be delayed, and that his people had to return to Allah so that He could forgive them and give respite (7:59-64, 11:26).

The chieftains, who disbelieved, said that Nuh surely was in plain error, and was just a mortal as they were. Nuh replied to this accusation that there was no error in him, but that he was a messenger from the Lord of the Worlds and conveyed to them the messages of Allah. Nuh was sent as a reminder, to give the people a chance to repent and be forgiven, and to find mercy (7:59-64, 26:105-110).

Allah commanded Nuh to build a ship by His inspiration. As he was building the ship, the chieftains passed him and mocked him. Upon its completion, the ship was loaded with animals and Noah's household (11:35-41). The people who denied the message of Nuh drowned (7:64); the son of Noah was also one of them (11:42-48). This last detail is not apparent in any other sources, and Qur'an takes it as a proof for its originality.(11:49).

To me, the plain language of the Koran is clear that Noah lived nearly 1000 years, but perhaps shafique reads the clear passages in the Koran differently from everyone else?

YUSUFALI: We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.
PICKTHAL: And verily we sent Noah (as Our messenger) unto his folk, and he continued with them for a thousand years save fifty years; and the flood engulfed them, for they were wrong-doers.
SHAKIR: And certainly We sent Nuh to his people, so he remained among them a thousand years save fifty years. And the deluge overtook them, while they were unjust.

After shafique explains why the Koran does not really say that Noah lived for nearly one thousand years, we can move on to the other claims made by the Koran.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 01, 2009
He was 1000 less 50 according to the Quran.

Can be taken literally, as some scholars do - who point to the Biblical verses about Methusela (sp?) etc - or others say this is just the timespan between Noah and the next prophet.

I'm with the latter school of thought.

Next question.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 01, 2009
YUSUFALI: We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.

Seems pretty clear to me.

But, just to play your game, who are these other Muslims who do not believe Noah performed dawah for 950 years before the flood?
event horizon

Oct 01, 2009
event horizon wrote:YUSUFALI: We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.

But, just to play your game, who are these other Muslims who do not believe Noah performed dawah for 950 years before the flood?

They are the Muslims who agree with my interpretation!

But seriously, I'll get some references for you.

Do you believe the Bible's accounts of people living for hundreds of years, or do you (like me) believe these are metaphorical?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 01, 2009
I forgot to quote what the Bible says on Noah's age:

Genesis 9:28-29 (King James Version)

28And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.

29And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died

I would also therefore disagree with those who took the Bible literally on this subject. What's your view eh?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 02, 2009

event horizon

Oct 02, 2009
I agreed that some take the verses literally - and most cite Genesis as corroboration of this view.

Many Christians also believe Genesis is literal and Noah lived for 950 years.

I guess that the Bible is as correct as the Quran on this matter (if we take the verses literally, which I personally don't).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 02, 2009
Cool - so we agree, after your bluster on metaphors, that the Koran does clearly say that Noah lived amongst his people for 950 years and then (presumably) lived on for a while after that.

I notice that you're now saying only some Muslims take this verse literally - implying that most don't???

As I asked, who are these Muslims who do not believe that Noah lived as long as the Koran says he did?

Are they Ahmadis or do you have any mainstream school of jurisprudence that rejects a literal reading of this passage?
event horizon

Oct 02, 2009
I'm glad we agree.

The Bible states that Noah lived for 950 years, the Quran says he 'dwelt with his people' for 1000 less 50. As I conceded, there are those who take both literally and those, like me, who take this metaphorically.

If the Quran is wrong/absurd in stating Noah lived for 950 years - then so is the Bible. Then again, if interpreted 'correctly' - it is not an absurd verse but metaphorical.

You did realise that the Bible says the same thing, didn't you?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 02, 2009
Please explain how one should interpret this verse in the Koran correctly?
event horizon

Oct 02, 2009
event horizon wrote:Please explain how one should interpret this verse in the Koran correctly?

You can interpret it in same way you interpret the verse in Genesis. How do you interpret it there?

It just happens to be one of the verses of the Quran which can be interpreted either literally or metaphorically - but in both cases is only giving information about what happened to a prophet of old. Whether one believes the Bible and Quran literally on this point (that Noah lived to 950 years) does not really impact on either Christian or Islamic theology - just the historical narrative to be found in the Quran and Bible.

It's not that important to either theology - and as God says in the Quran:

“He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book, of it there are decisive verses: they are the basis of the Book and others (which are) ambiguous. But those in whose hearts is perversity pursue, forsooth, that which is ambiguous, seeking to cause mischief and seeking to explain it (as they like).”(3:7)

This verse (about Noah's age) can't be argued to be addressing a fundamental belief of Islam.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 03, 2009
Cool, we agree that the Koran clearly says that Noah lived among his people for nearly one thousand years.

After all that bluster on metafurs and how Muslims supposedly interpret this passage, there does not seem to be any reason to not believe that Noah, according to the Koran, was a thousand years old.
event horizon

Oct 03, 2009
Here's the next passage that shafique claims should be interpreted metaphorically:

Or dost thou think the Men of the Cave and Er-Rakeem were among Our signs a wonder?

When the youths took refuge in the Cave saying, 'Our lord, give us mercy from Thee, and furnish us with rectitude in our affair.'

And they tarried in the Cave three hundred years, and to that they added nine more.

Seems clear to me. The Koran says men lived in a cave for over three hundred years.
event horizon

Oct 03, 2009
Ok - I understand you want to move on to the next (metaphorical) point.

However, you didn't answer my question about whether you knew the Bible also gave Noah's age at 950 years?

Did you know this fact?

It appears that you are trying to argue that the Quran is faulty in some way for stating what the Bible also says. If so, then surely the Bible has the same fault - but you argue in other threads that the Bible is the word of God...??

Care to clarify?

Is the Bible wrong when it says Noah's age was 950 years old when he died?? (or do you agree with me that both Quran and Bible can be interpreted metaphorically on this point).

I'll be happy to move on to other verses once you clarify the above question.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 04, 2009
Strange response. Can we establish that the Koranic verses, which say that these men lived for three centuries in a cave, were not taken out of context?

I'm happy to move on to the next passage in the Koran that should be understood literally as well.
event horizon

Oct 05, 2009
So, are you one of those who takes the Bible literally and believe Noah lived to 950 years? (Or do you agree with me that this Biblical verse is metaphorical?)

Not sure why you're over-looking this question.

As for whether the Quranic verses are metaphorical or not - I view them as metaphorical, others may have a different view. Both verses are 'historical' verses of the Quran, and as God says in the Quran:

“He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book, of it there are decisive verses: they are the basis of the Book and others (which are) ambiguous. But those in whose hearts is perversity pursue, forsooth, that which is ambiguous, seeking to cause mischief and seeking to explain it (as they like).”(3:7)

Let me ask again - are you one of those who believes Noah lived to 950 because the Bible says so?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 05, 2009
Interesting that you want to change the subject.

Can I assume you don't have any valid reason to claim these passages are metaphors?
event horizon

Oct 05, 2009
So, asking whether you believe Noah lived to 950 as the Bible and Quran literally say is 'changing the subject'?

I've stated I believe both are metaphorical, and that they can (and are) taken literally by others. My reasons are valid to me.

So, what is your view on what the Bible (and Quran) says on the subject? What are your reasons for your view (I assume you have a view)?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 05, 2009
I agree that the Koran says that Noah lived over 950 years old and I also agree that the Koran says the moon was split - which confirms a historical account from an Indian king, don't you?

I've already addressed the ages of the patriarchs in the Bible before. I'm not sure why you're dwelling on this issue when, historically, Jews and Christians have never interpreted the Bible literally as Muslims seem to think they have.

The Koran, on the other hand, is to be interpreted literally and I can see no reason why the Koran would lie when it says that Noah was over 950 years of age or that Allah split the moon as a sign for the unbelievers during Muhammad's life time.
event horizon

Oct 05, 2009
So your view is that the Quran is to be interpreted literally.

Hmm.

So, how do you 'literally' interpret the Quranic verse which says it contains metaphorical verses?:

It hasn't escaped my notice that you haven't confirmed whether you agree or disagree with my interpretation of the Biblical and Quranic verses which say Noah lived to 950 years old.

Why are you avoiding this question?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 05, 2009
Well Arabic and English isn’t my native language..so I read the verse in my language…
After reading this verse (29-14) I thought it was not clear about when he started receiving revelations from god therefore the start of his prophethood during this 1000 year period…
It’s also not clear after how many years of his prophethood this deluge had taken place and how many years after the deluge- surviving believers continued to preach Nouh’s revelations in integrity before loosing originality and start fabrication…
All these points I mention makes it rather ambiguous verse and difficult to asses his true age when he deid..

Of course he may have died at the age of 950 if that’s what God wanted… we already know that first humans on earth were living much much longer to allow population to increase….

Nevertheless it seems as though Noah’s reign under his messages lasted for 950 years before another prophet was assigned as a messenger with new revelations to invite people back to believing truth and a creator God…
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 05, 2009
Thanks Berrin - it is always useful to get a perspective from another translation.

This verse is interpreted literally by some Muslims - that Noah dwelt among his people for 1000 less 50 years (some interpreting this as Noah living to age 1000, assuming he started receiving revelations at age 50).

What further complicates matters is that some Muslims refer to the Bible which gives Noah's death at age 950 and that he lived for 350 years after the flood:
Genesis 9:28-29 (King James Version)
28And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.
29And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died

(This would make Noah 600 at the time of the flood, at a time when both his wife and son were alive... which is a little incredible, to me at least)

'eh' started this thread and apparently appears to have been unaware that the Bible also gives Noah's age at death at 950. Interesting that - and we await his interpretation of this fact.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 05, 2009
I agree that the Koran clearly says that Noah lived among his people for nearly one thousand years. Why would someone not interpret this passage literally?

Now, what about the passage of the cavemen dwelling in a cave for 300 plus years? Do you disagree that the Koran says this?
event horizon

Oct 06, 2009
Well it makes a change for you to acknowledge the bleeding obvious after you posted it.

It does appear strange that you seemed unaware that the Bible also gives Noah's age at 950 and that you now refuse to give your interpretation of this fact.

Let me quote Jesus:
You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Matt 7:5

(If the reference is unclear to you, just Google it)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 06, 2009
The splitting of the moon (Arabic: انشقاق القمر‎) is a claimed miracle done by the prophet Muhammad in Islamic tradition.[2] The incident is mentioned in many early Muslim traditions as the context of revelation (asbāb an-nuzūl) for the Qur'anic verse 54:1-2 and virtually all Muslim commentators accept the historicity of the miracle. These early traditions are transmitted on the authority of companions of Muhammad such as Ibn Abbas, Anas bin Malik, Abdullah bin Masud and others.[3][4] According to the Indian Muslim scholar Yusuf Ali, the moon might split again when the day of judgment approaches. He says that the verse may also have an allegorical meaning, i.e. the matter has become clear as the moon.[5][6] The Qur'anic verse 54:1-2 was part of the debate between medieval Muslim theologians and Muslim philosophers over the issue of the inviolability of heavenly bodies. Philosophers held that the heavenly bodies could not be pierced because unlike the terrestrial matter, they were not composed of the four fundamental elements of earth, air, fire, and water.[7] Some other rationalistic Muslim thinkers had difficulties accepting any preternatural event, and sometimes argued that only an appearance of the split of the moon had happened.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_of_the_moon

Let's not forget that history also attests to the moon splitting.

So, clearly this verse is not a metaphor.
event horizon

Oct 06, 2009
Strange that you would wish to change the subject when I asked whether you were aware that the Bible gave Noah's age at 950 and whether you agreed with it (literally)?

I understand you wish to avoid questions and I am always amused at the excuses you sometimes give (but mostly you just remain silent).

This thread is about Noah's age in scripture, isn't it? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums