Feminism - Women Wearing Revealing Clothes

Topic locked
Feminism - women wearing revealing clothes Nov 01, 2006
A simple question.

Why do women wear revealing clothes in public - i.e. tight, or skimpy?

I think the men who persuaded feminists that it was their right to wear skimpy clothes are geniuses! :)

But seriously, I'm interested in the answers. (I expect - "it makes me feel good/glamourous/chic", "the clothes are designed by men", "to attract attention" as possible answers..but let's hear from the girls).

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2006
This is the first funny topic you've written shafique, at least the 1st that I think it is.

Hmmm why ? why?

Women who wears revealing clothes are influenced by fashion, culture and the every day life routine wherever they are.

I personally believed that there is nothing wrong dressing skimpy clothes,iif and only if,it is used in the appropriate manner, I mean appropriate place, time, etc.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 01, 2006
I think that body hugging clothes look better on many female body types. Baggy clothes can make a woman look shapeless, look bigger around the hips if she has wide hips, or can make a woman look boyish if the woman has no hips - it can be all around unflattering.

It's acceptable to dress more revealing in certain social situations, a weekend out is special so the dress goes along with it. It's when the whole skimpy outfit wearer takes it outside of the club or party and into the grocery store, daily life, etc. that one just has to wonder...what is up with her??
freza
Dubai chat master

Nov 01, 2006
The question is why wear figure revealing clothes in public?

Is it that women enjoy being judged for their bodies? What about women who aren't in shape (think Vicky Pollard).. why do they wear what they wear?

As a man, I can see the advantages for us onlookers - but what's in it for you girls? :)

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2006
The almighty made woman for men, so they should wear revealing clothes. So all you freaks/queers get over it.
The nice thing is that us joos set the fashions and own the media/advertising and we believe that there is nothing wrong dressing skimpy clothes as sex sells :lol:
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Nov 01, 2006
shafique wrote:The question is why wear figure revealing clothes in public?

Is it that women enjoy being judged for their bodies? What about women who aren't in shape (think Vicky Pollard).. why do they wear what they wear?

As a man, I can see the advantages for us onlookers - but what's in it for you girls? :)

cheers,
Shafique

+ points Self - esteem. Such women believes that the clothes look good on them. Its not that the women who wears it likes the attention from the drooling crowd.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 01, 2006
Shafique,

I think you need answers from women who actually wear skimpy clothes. Let's see who steps up to the plate.

anyway

On a night out don't you wear something different than what you wear to work? Well of course, you wear your best dressy attire because you want to look nice. Revealing clothes on women can equal nice. Not rocket science, right?

Skimpy can look trashy, and it reveals more than flesh imho it reveals a neediness for attention, but I don't think that all women dress a certain way only for men or only for attention. Take for example makeup - I know many guys who prefer a natural look for their girlfriend/wife but their other half will still want to pile on the makeup. These makeup-loving women are obviously doing it for themselves, doing what they like to please themselves not their guy. The same with big mommas. Some people criticize these girls who are wearing things that reveal their fatty rolls, but some of these big girls have a personality that could care less about being negatively judged. It's not always about being judged, men, and getting appraised and approved.

That's all.
bye
freza
Dubai chat master

Nov 01, 2006
freza wrote:I think that body hugging clothes look better on many female body types. Baggy clothes can make a woman look shapeless, look bigger around the hips if she has wide hips, or can make a woman look boyish if the woman has no hips - it can be all around unflattering.

It's acceptable to dress more revealing in certain social situations, a weekend out is special so the dress goes along with it. It's when the whole skimpy outfit wearer takes it outside of the club or party and into the grocery store, daily life, etc. that one just has to wonder...what is up with her??

I agree with Freza.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
The same thing can be said for men. Why do they wear form fitting shirts or suits that show off the masculine upper body? Why wear jeans or other pants that flatter the bum and legs? It certainly makes them look attractive. Men often wear tank tops and shorts - is that not as revealing as women wearing tank tops and shorts?

I suspect that women who wear really skimpy outfits as day to day wear fit two categories. 1) They have a great body and those clothes actually look flattering - so it gives them a boost to their self-esteem, 2) They are lacking self-esteem and desperately trying to attract male attention (which makes them feel good about themselves) by showing off a lot of skin. Perhaps some women fit both categories. The end result is that if you show a lot of skin, men are going to pay a lot of attention. So it is up to the woman to decide whether or not she really wants to attract that kind of attention.

Cultural differences and environment dictate how much skin is too much skin. For example, the beach and pool is a place where it is absolutely acceptable to wear skimpy clothing. Who the heck wants to bathe in full clothing? Going to a night club in different cities around the world will find differing levels of skin being shown. Nightclubs are young and s.e.x.y places. People often treat it like a bit of a costume party. They have separate clothes for clubbing that they don't wear to the grocery store. Also, there are differences for what is acceptable when going out in public to shop or go to appointments in different cultures. In North America in the summer you can wear a sun dress, shorts, tank top etc. to do your shopping or run your errands and it isn't deemed inappropriate. The men are also wearing shorts and tank tops or t-shirts. It is not like men are running around fully clothed and women are running around with hardly anything on.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
Interesting.

Keep the comments coming.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2006
Okay, that self-esteem thing needs clarification. One can get self esteem from showing off a great figure in revealing clothes, and one can get self esteem from attracting men. The first is a more healthy form of self-esteem than the latter obviously. A woman should feel good about herself without having it depend on male attention.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:Okay, that self-esteem thing needs clarification. One can get self esteem from showing off a great figure in revealing clothes, and one can get self esteem from attracting men. The first is a more healthy form of self-esteem than the latter obviously. A woman should feel good about herself without having it depend on male attention.

Good body = good self esteem, bad body = bad self esteem?

Hmm
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2006
shafique wrote:
kanelli wrote:Okay, that self-esteem thing needs clarification. One can get self esteem from showing off a great figure in revealing clothes, and one can get self esteem from attracting men. The first is a more healthy form of self-esteem than the latter obviously. A woman should feel good about herself without having it depend on male attention.

Good body = good self esteem, bad body = bad self esteem?

Hmm

Slight amendment, if she FEELS she has a good body then good self esteem, if she feels she does not then low.

I know women who are heavy and wear the weight proudly, and women who have imho wicked bodies and feel they’re ugly. It is not what we see it is what they see in the mirror.

I’ll give you an example, Mrs. Fayz who weighs a whopping 48kgs feels she is very heavy, for those who have met her know the reality but this is her ‘reality’ and as much as I try to convince her she wont except that she has a great body so I would say her self esteem is lower.

Also keeping with the above hypothesis whether she is wearing an abaya, tankini, or dental floss on the beach she has already made the decision about her self esteem before getting dressed so I don’t think the 2 are related. (wardrobe and esteem)

My two fils but what do I know, just a confused guy.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 01, 2006
You have a good point, but I knew some women in university who wore lots of make-up and dressed in skimpy clothes regularly because they didn't feel attractive unless men were looking at them or approaching them. It wasn't a lot of girls, just a few.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
I wear figure revealing clothes. Why? I look good. If I look good, then, I feel good.

IMHO, most women like to dress like that not to attract men or seek attention but because women like to look good, we do it for ourselves.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2006
I wear clothes that could be considered revealing. yeah sure i wear a abaya over it most of the time..but sometimes i dont. i may not have the greatest body but there are days where i like the way i look and i want to show that in the way i dress. if im going out to a party ill wear something that makes me feel s e xy...not what i think others will think is. i want to enjoy myself, so i dress in a way that will help me out.

the only time ill say i dress for attention is when im going out with my fiance and i wear what i know he likes, showing off the parts that i know he likes...and i do that for him...not anyone else
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2006
I am sort of the same - will dress in colours or outfits that my husband likes when we go out for dinner together or something. I just don't like showing cleavage or too much leg in public. I save those outfits for hubby's eyes only within our villa walls.

I do know some men though, who want their girlfriend or wife to wear super s.e.x.y outfits because they like other men to look at their woman. I think that is a bit weird, but I know some men like that. It gives them a real boost.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
yeah, my fiance doesnt like it when i show anything, sometimes, sometimes he likes me too...especially if his friends are around.I guess it makes him feel better or something..but i dont really like to wear clothes that cover up the chest area cuz then i look like im pregnant....unless if the shirt or dress is super tight... :roll:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2006
It's human nature to feel good when wearing nice clothes and being well groomed.

Women judge each other all the time - more than men will judge others.

The points about self esteem are interesting though. Some women wear revealing clothes to boost self esteem, but for others their body shape does not affect whether they have high or low self-esteem.

So, I think what people are saying - if you have high self-esteem, you will be more inclined to wear revealing clothes.

I'm still confused though - but then again, I am a man! :)

Men enjoy looking at the female form (and vice versa). Men will be very pleased to read above that there are many reasons women are giving for providing this pleasure to onlookers.

Well, let me expand the question - what are women who choose to wear an abaya in public missing out on?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Feminism - women wearing revealing clothes Nov 01, 2006
shafique wrote:A simple question.

Why do women wear revealing clothes in public - i.e. tight, or skimpy?

A simple answer: because they can.

P.S. Not everywhere. So the fact that those clothes are not worn in someplaces may have nothing to do with self-steem or other reasons already mentioned.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2006
Well Shafique, I can answer you better if I know your definition of revealing. According to Islam, no head scarf and anything that shows skin or is form fitting is "revealing". Is your definition the same as this one? Let's get the term defined and go from there.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
Well there is that old saying 'if you've got it, flaunt it!'.

It's all fashion influenced, if a woman feels good about herself and has a nice body then why shouldn't she show it, and many men also like their girl friends to look nice and s.e.xy, to show them off if you like.

Women with flab bulging over jeans and the like is another matter however, the same can be said for men.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 01, 2006
Sometimes a woman wearing an abayaa can be just as attractive as a woman not wearing one. The reason why is that some women are dressed in the black hijab and abayaa and they have the most stunning faces. The hijab and abayaa act as a frame that actually accentuate her beauty because her gorgeous face stands right out. I'm sure many men stare and have indecent thoughts about what she looks like under her abayaa.

In some ways an abayaa can be very restricing though, because it is an extra layer of clothing that can get very hot, especially if worn outside. I saw some ladies in abayaas at the Ladies Masters this past weekend and it just looked uncomfortable.

I do have respect for abayaas though, because of the cultural aspect. I certainly don't feel like they are needed to protect a woman's honour or protect her from dangerous men though.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:Sometimes a woman wearing an abayaa can be just as attractive as a woman not wearing one. The reason why is that some women are dressed in the black hijab and abayaa and they have the most stunning faces. The hijab and abayaa act as a frame that actually accentuate her beauty because her gorgeous face stands right out. I'm sure many men stare and have indecent thoughts about what she looks like under her abayaa.

In some ways an abayaa can be very restricing though, because it is an extra layer of clothing that can get very hot, especially if worn outside. I saw some ladies in abayaas at the Ladies Masters this past weekend and it just looked uncomfortable.

I do have respect for abayaas though, because of the cultural aspect. I certainly don't feel like they are needed to protect a woman's honour or protect her from dangerous men though.

im not too big on wearing the abaya for two reasons...i was raised in the palestinian culture for most of my life. and in that culture, abaya isn't a part of it. i like to wear them occasionaly because i do sometimes feel better when i wear it. but on the other hand, its ridculously uncomfortable...especially while driving. and it gets too hot, that and the sheila has to be constantly fixed...lol too much work.

but i agree, i feel when i wear the abaya i can look just as s e x y as when i wear a revealing dress...its the way you wear the clothes..not the clothes you wear
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2006
I don't know what to call them... the black much looser dresses that some women wear, and the full-face veil and gloves. Is this a sign that a woman has very high self esteem? I mean, does she think that she is so stunning that she had better keep every inch of herself covered so that she does not have men chasing her everywhere?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:I don't know what to call them... the black much looser dresses that some women wear, and the full-face veil and gloves. Is this a sign that a woman has very high self esteem? I mean, does she think that she is so stunning that she had better keep every inch of herself covered so that she does not have men chasing her everywhere?

:lol:

very funny kanelli
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 01, 2006
I believe in lookin classy, not trashy. I think more fitted clothes definetely suit a figure more than loose ones like freza mentioned. Women can wear whatever they want and like everyone has been saying...if it makes them feel good..they will do it. Also, the media and fashion makes looking good so important for women. I honestly think there should be a limit...too much skin isn't too appealing in my opinion no matter how hot your bod is. For me personally, I love dressing up and wearing nice clothes but that doesn't mean you always have to show off your everything. Sometimes just a subtle peek of clevage is more s e x y than your entire chest hanging out....keeps people guessing ;)
noni
Dubai chat master

Nov 01, 2006
Exactly noni :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 01, 2006
kanelli wrote:Well Shafique, I can answer you better if I know your definition of revealing. According to Islam, no head scarf and anything that shows skin or is form fitting is "revealing". Is your definition the same as this one? Let's get the term defined and go from there.

What I meant by revealing was tight fitting or skimpy - i.e. where little is left to the imagination.

The title of the thread includes 'feminism' and I wanted to see whether people would argue that wearing what women want was a feminist ideal - and exploring why this would be viewed as empowering.

I also wanted to see whether I could uncover why some people see an abaya and hijab as a sign of oppression rather than how muslim women see it - as a sign of liberation, giving them freedom to mix in society and not be objectified/judged for their bodies.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 01, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well there is that old saying 'if you've got it, flaunt it!'.

It's all fashion influenced, if a woman feels good about herself and has a nice body then why shouldn't she show it, and many men also like their girl friends to look nice and s.e.xy, to show them off if you like.

Women with flab bulging over jeans and the like is another matter however, the same can be said for men.

Men do like to look at women. Men like to show off their possessions too, as you say.

You ask a good question - why shouldn't a woman show off her body? My question was why would she want to. If the answer is just to show off that she has a good body, well that answers the question.

Men seem to be the benefactors in all this.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums